User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
I'm in...

...been waiting for some TAT stuff, come on....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
The lure of the moto adventure and the scariest of all topography.

The last year of my life was spent working very hard on a book that I published about the music scene here in Austin. It did very well, selling in 12 countries and has enjoyed a very warm reception.
This trip is my chance to follow another passion, exhale, enjoy some down time in the saddle, laugh with friends, and see some beautiful remote areas of this country of ours. Also, I will get to spend some of my attention with my inner dialogue.
My therapist believes I am agoraphobic. The description from WEBMD reads as follows: Symptoms of agoraphobia include anxiety and subsequent avoidance of being in a situation in which one will have a panic attack, when in a situation from which escape is not possible, or is difficult.
When I read this a couple years back I was relieved. At least there was a name for all the crazy shit going on in my head. I used to live a less than healthy lifestyle and I thought it was just payback time and I was going to lose my mind. Most of the time I am not panicky. The situations which now bother me which never used to, are ones where I have no control or where I can't extract myself quickly. Airplanes, for now, are way too freaky. I couldn't care less about turburlences; it's just being stuck on that thing that scares me. Waiting on tarmac for an hour would be my undoing.
Statistically, motorcycles are infinitely more dangerous but the critical difference is the perception of some degree of control, whereas on a plane I am totally surrendered. What this has allowed me to do is slowly stretch out of my comfort zone in a way that I can really seem to grow from. Motorcycle travel forces me into the current moment in a way that I hadn't previously known. Yes, I still freak myself out about all kinds of future events that could maybe just maybe happen, but I am working on it.
This is my once-and-for-all hang it all out there for a month and JUST DEAL WITH IT opportunity.
My ride report "Hypothermia or Bust" spoke a lot about my strange inner workings and many of you really related.
So, if you are up for traversing the darkest, scariest topography of my tattered cerebellum, read on. If you are more the type who is manly man, leather chaps, no helmet, grunting about your 600-mile a-day-trip to Sturgis, you'll probably get bored of my sensitivity. I'm just grateful we have a community who are willing share what all this adventure means to them.
Below was my first taste of the real mountain trails:

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 09:41 PM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Great vid...subscribed.

May be following in your tracks a little later..
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Great vid...subscribed.

May be following in your tracks a little later..
x2

I'm shooting for August

NOTE: I don't think you are stupid
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
x2

I'm shooting for August

NOTE: I don't think you are stupid
My friends might tell you there is always time to reconsider...
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #21
WJW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
subscribed

subscribed
WJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #22
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 353
Went back and read your previous thread which I enjoyed. I especially liked your comments about the Zen like nature of riding, being in the now. Many of us are good at conjuring up fears. Thanks for sharing.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #23
dano619
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
yup, im in
dano619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,632
my riding buddy & i are doing the TAT in Sept. please post up any closures/serious obstacles you find along the way so we can update our tracks.

enjoy man!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #25
Doug329
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Mathew:

I'm subscribed and ready to relive the TAT.
Four of us did it in 2010 & 2011.
Using Sam's maps & roll charts. One of our 4 converted most to GPS routes, which we all used.

Here is a link to what I wrote about our 1st leg, TN to OK (I hurt my ankle bad in OK, thus the return to finish in 2011) The 1st report was on a google blog format, see link:
http://tat-trip-2010.blogspot.com/2010/08/introduction.html

2nd year-2011; I did a ride report on Adv Rider; link:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=715357%C2%A0

Your teaser photo of descending one of the many passes in CO is beautiful. Don't be discouraged by the TN to CO part. Every state has something special to see, and people to meet. Take your time, enjoy, don't get hurt, it's a trip of a lifetime. If you have questions, ask any inmate with a PM or open post.

Best wishes and ride safe,
Doug

Doug329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 764
if you get to oklahoma and need some help, or a place to ship tires let me know. i'm not far off the trail.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
Beagle001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks Doug and OKlr...and everyone else! I'm riding with the OP on this trip. Appreciate the support!

Travis
Beagle001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
openroad98
Newbie Tripmeister

Oddometer: 4
Ride on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle001 View Post
Thanks Doug and OKlr...and everyone else! I'm riding with the OP on this trip. Appreciate the support!

Travis
Never been much for dirt riding, but what a way to see this beautiful country not riding on a superslab! Stay safe enough to finish, loved the teaser and another lurker...
openroad98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #29
mohalk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Below was my first taste of the TAT:
[/QUOTE]

Dude, this photo is so epic! I made it my desktop background.

My brother, dad, and I did the ALCAN last year. It was nearly enough dirt! Can someone fill me in on the best time to to the TAT, weather/snow-wise? We are thinking about doing it this year too!

Looking forward to this ride report. I can tell matt knows how to tell a story with the video camera.
mohalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #30
Doug329
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Mohalk:

Every long ride we've done (Trans Lab Hwy-TAT (2 years), and CDR 2012). we've done starting 3rd week in August, finishing in early to mid- Sept. Yes, it's HOT on Eastern portion of TAT and in OK,NV, but little or no rain. CDR of course is cooler due to high altitude most of the way, so Aug/Sept is also ideal. I'd much rather deal with heat vs rain and MUD.

Ride safe, take your time, and enjoy,
Doug
Doug329 is offline   Reply With Quote