Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #286
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNate View Post
Can you guys think of anything more I need.
What are those vehicles in the background? They look like fire apparatus but no one paints fire apparatus chartreuse anymore
Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #287
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
My TAT prepped XR400 subframe...

Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #288
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Yup, got them on there. Wrote it in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Heated grips might be a good idea. Even in July you will find some very cold mornings in CO and OR; plenty of snow up there when we went thru. We found plenty of cold, and my hands felt like they were going to fall off a couple of times. Had to stop to let them warm up here and there. Hot down low, and cold up high. Don't count on July to keep the cold away in the mountains. Or, bring really good winter gloves for the few hours you'll need them. Your hands will thank you.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #289
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, got them on there. Wrote it in my post. If you are directing that to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Heated grips might be a good idea. Even in July you will find some very cold mornings in CO and OR; plenty of snow up there when we went thru. We found plenty of cold, and my hands felt like they were going to fall off a couple of times. Had to stop to let them warm up here and there. Hot down low, and cold up high. Don't count on July to keep the cold away in the mountains. Or, bring really good winter gloves for the few hours you'll need them. Your hands will thank you.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #290
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats our Western Green!! Western Taney County Fire Protection District

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
What are those vehicles in the background? They look like fire apparatus but no one paints fire apparatus chartreuse anymore
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #291
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
OK, so I've been trying to get in touch with Sam to order GPS tracks and maps, but he hasn't responded to my email. I sent him another, so hopefully I'll hear back. I understand you can order from his site the maps and roll charts, but what about GPS tracks? I see "%gps" is listed as 100% for all states, but if I remember correctly you need to get in touch with him and buy the GPS tracks separately.

Anyone have any info on this?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #292
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
OK, so I've been trying to get in touch with Sam to order GPS tracks and maps, but he hasn't responded to my email. I sent him another, so hopefully I'll hear back. I understand you can order from his site the maps and roll charts, but what about GPS tracks? I see "%gps" is listed as 100% for all states, but if I remember correctly you need to get in touch with him and buy the GPS tracks separately.

Anyone have any info on this?
Never mind. I got a call from Sam less than an hour after the second email. He says he's redoing the site to facilitate ordering GPS tracks via the site. Nice guy!
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #293
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
What maps should I have in my Garmin to convert sams.maps to tracks?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #294
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
What maps should I have in my Garmin to convert sams.maps to tracks?
Hard to answer without knowing what GPS you have. The GPS doesn't convert the information. You need to enter the route from the maps into a mapping program and save that into the proper file format for your GPS then load it on the GPS.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #295
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Hard to answer without knowing what GPS you have. The GPS doesn't convert the information. You need to enter the route from the maps into a mapping program and save that into the proper file format for your GPS then load it on the GPS.

Sorry yes, I realize that. I was just wondering what map sets (city nav, topo) I would need to build my tracks off of.

Montana 600 is what I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #296
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

The base maps in most GPS units suck, only enough detail follow major routes. Find the Topo map Garmin offers for your unit a d install that on your GPS.

Then install Map Source on your computer. Here is very good thread that will walk you through creating routes from Sam's maps, and converting them into the format your GPS needs. It's time consuming. I've traced the route into the Benchmark map book for each state as well. Helps familiarize you with towns and highways along the route so if you have to bail out for any reason you'll know where certain services may be available.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619167
Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #297
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Question on making tracks with the TAT map/rollchart info. Should I be making a tracking point at every direction change, often, or just with every turn or crossing I make?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #298
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
You need a mapset that will do autorouting like City Navigator or Topo 24k. And you can use the 100k Topos for Direct Routing.

I suspect that City Navigator does not have all the TAT roads on it. Some of them are really minor.

I haven't done the TAT, but have done lots of trip planning. (A friend did the track building for our trip.)

I would use Mapsource rathter than Basecamp. I would create a route for each state and then put either a via point or a hard waypoint at each turn in the roll chart.

I prefer waypoints. They will show up when you convert the route to a track and use it to actually navigate.

When I get to an road that is not in City Navigator, I switch to 100k Topos and Direct Routing. Basecamp does not support mixed mode routing as well as Mapsource.

If you don't want to buy 2 mapsets, I think you could probably get by switching to direct routing in City Navigator and kind of guessing where the road is.

I do this occasionally. I then view the result on Google Earth to see how close my guess is.

When the route is complete, you can convert it to a track using the 3rd party free software WinGDB3 or send it to Basecamp and convert it.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #299
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
You need a mapset that will do autorouting like City Navigator or Topo 24k. And you can use the 100k Topos for Direct Routing.

I suspect that City Navigator does not have all the TAT roads on it. Some of them are really minor.

I haven't done the TAT, but have done lots of trip planning. (A friend did the track building for our trip.)

I would use Mapsource rathter than Basecamp. I would create a route for each state and then put either a via point or a hard waypoint at each turn in the roll chart.

I prefer waypoints. They will show up when you convert the route to a track and use it to actually navigate.

When I get to an road that is not in City Navigator, I switch to 100k Topos and Direct Routing. Basecamp does not support mixed mode routing as well as Mapsource.

If you don't want to buy 2 mapsets, I think you could probably get by switching to direct routing in City Navigator and kind of guessing where the road is.

I do this occasionally. I then view the result on Google Earth to see how close my guess is.

When the route is complete, you can convert it to a track using the 3rd party free software WinGDB3 or send it to Basecamp and convert it.
I don't understand this language. I'm using google earth to lay down tracks and I'm going to convert it for my 60csx.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #300
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I don't understand this language. I'm using google earth to lay down tracks and I'm going to convert it for my 60csx.
Sounds like an interesting approach. I have never done that. Good luck. Hope it works.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote