Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #1051
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunz82414 View Post
new here; looks like a lot of good info.

I just finished wiring in my Baja designs dual sport kit and none of the lights or electronics work. I have a dual output stator and read that I need to put in a relay reccomended by Baja Designs. Does anyone know if this is the case.

I have the kit where the battery and everything is stored behind the front number plate/headlight.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Relay or rectifier? What would the relay be doing?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #1052
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Guys,

got a Q: anyone knows of or has SW for drawing wiring diagrams?
Free intuitive stuff if at all possible please, and the use of colours would help a lot. I'm only looking for a picture, not simulations or why.
Anyone?

I just used colored pens and paper. Something eraseble would have made it pretty.

In the end, there really isn't a lot going on, even though you do have more than most with fans and all.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #1053
kunz82414
n00b

Oddometer: 5
XR650R Relay on Dual Sport kit.

Not sure what the relay does, but it plugs into the headlight. This is the relay:

http://bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=129010

I have a dual output stator XR650R with the Baja Designs quick detach dual sport kit and according to Baja Designs, I need this relay. The bike currently runs but none of the dual sport kit functions. No blinkers, headlight or horn at the moment. Presently have one of my stator's outputs wired to the dual sport kit. I am hoping the relay will solve the problem, but really don't know what I am doing. Thank you.
kunz82414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #1054
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I just used colored pens and paper.

I know myself: wake up midnight suddenly due to a brainwave (OK, quite rare ) because I forget things, and then it would be nice to be able to just mod the lot quickly.
I'll probably end up using PCAD running on an old pentium machine under DOS 6.22, done this before but colour-printing is impossible then.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #1055
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure what the relay does, but it plugs into the headlight. This is the relay:

I have a dual output stator XR650R with the Baja Designs quick detach dual sport kit and according to Baja Designs, I need this relay. The bike currently runs but none of the dual sport kit functions. No blinkers, headlight or horn at the moment. Presently have one of my stator's outputs wired to the dual sport kit. I am hoping the relay will solve the problem, but really don't know what I am doing. Thank you.

Well, the relay should only affect he headlight. The relay's purpose is to prevent having to run high current through the light switch.

Its probably an easy fix, probably just need to get power from the stator to the system.
You have four leads coming from your stator correct? I don't know how BD does it, or what colors they use.

THere are plenty of schematics on this thread.

All DC? or split AC and DC?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #1056
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:

That relay only is used for bypassing the full 125 watts flowing through your dual sport switch.

I guess it would be helpful for you to explain what exactly you are trying to do so we can sort out the easiest way to make it happen.

I pulled my BD headlight off last night, with that headlight came the whole front harness that ties everything from the bar control into the main harness. That is why i'm guessing none of your controls work.

I'm going to rig up my own jumper wires to connect the bar control back into the main harness so I can utilize the the switch for the headlight. I will be creating my own version of the above mentioned relay to fire my 8" race light using a dedicated 125w AC leg off of my stator.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #1057
kunz82414
n00b

I just want my XR650R to be street legal by using the Baja Designs kit.

I wired it just as BD's instructions for a dual output said. My 2 white wires are wired into my BD's orange and white wires (polarity does not matter).

My other 2 wires from the stator are wired into my stock AC rectifier as BD recommended. The bike runs but no lights.

I am going to wire the relay into the stock headlight wiring as BD has said to do, but I don't understand why my other accessories are not working. Maybe a broken connection or something. I guess I'll have to start testing wires.

I presently have it wired exactly like this document says to:
http://bajadesigns.com/docs/tech-inf...t.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #1058
kunz82414
n00b

Hooked up the relay and now everything works.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #1059
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Hooked up the relay and now everything works.
Cool, job done
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #1060
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
Eek Can stators be dyslexic?

Got on my bike the other day, and cranked it up. Headlight works fine at idle, but when I take off, light dims and goes out. Low RPM, light is fine, higher RPMs makes the light dim and go out altogether... shouldn't that be just the opposite?

XR650R with BD kit and 250W Ricky Stator split to 125W DC through BD rec/reg, and 125W AC through stock reg. Bike starts fine, and DC side seems to be all okay (though flasher unit clicks constantly, and GPS "loses power" sometimes from the cigarette lighter). Only headlights (2x 55W Buell lights) run off AC leg. They are wired via relays to work with BD switch.

Any ideas what could be the cause? Also, still confused about which side should be grounded to frame, and which floated (AC or DC). The stock AC system comes grounded to the frame, right? There should be no crossover of any kind between these two systems, correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have a ride coming up this next weekend, and I'm running out of time.

Thanks.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom

Rydah screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 10:04 AM
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #1061
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
If you follow the bd instructions it shows that both circuits need to be grounded to the frame , but it does not work if you do that . What is the solution to this ?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #1062
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Which one of these have you used ?
http://www.rickystator.com/04technic...da/RSXR650.pdf
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #1063
Rydah

So after riding for over four years with the ol' Baja Designs/Ricky Stator (BD/RS) kit on my bike, I've come to the conclusion that I need to build my own harness. These bikes were never intended to be dual-sported, so there just aint much room under the seat, behind the light, etc for the exta wiring. I'm running the split AC/DC RS setup, with my headlights on AC, while the DC side powers my other lights (tail, indicators-all LED), 12V accessory plug, KTM fan and horn off a small battery located under the seat.

I'd like to keep all the same functions, but want to reduce the wiring as much as possible, while still using a better grade of wiring and connectors, plus leaving room to add on a couple other accessories if needed.

I know some of you have posted that you have built your own harnesses, and wonder if any of those fit my same model. If so, would you be willing to share so I don't have to "reinvent the wheel"? Also, to save space/weight, would using an automotive grade of sheilded wire be a possibility, and use the sheild as your ground?

Lastly, I've seen different opinions about which side (AC or DC) to float. I gather that you can float either, as long as the other one is grounded to the frame. Mine has the AC side floated, but is there an advantage as to which one is floated?

If you've read through all my blathering, and would still be willing to help, I sure would appreciate it.
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #1064
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
So after riding for over four years with the ol' Baja Designs/Ricky Stator (BD/RS) kit on my bike, I've come to the conclusion that I need to build my own harness. These bikes were never intended to be dual-sported, so there just aint much room under the seat, behind the light, etc for the exta wiring. I'm running the split AC/DC RS setup, with my headlights on AC, while the DC side powers my other lights (tail, indicators-all LED), 12V accessory plug, KTM fan and horn off a small battery located under the seat.

I'd like to keep all the same functions, but want to reduce the wiring as much as possible, while still using a better grade of wiring and connectors, plus leaving room to add on a couple other accessories if needed.

I know some of you have posted that you have built your own harnesses, and wonder if any of those fit my same model. If so, would you be willing to share so I don't have to "reinvent the wheel"? Also, to save space/weight, would using an automotive grade of sheilded wire be a possibility, and use the sheild as your ground?

Lastly, I've seen different opinions about which side (AC or DC) to float. I gather that you can float either, as long as the other one is grounded to the frame. Mine has the AC side floated, but is there an advantage as to which one is floated?

If you've read through all my blathering, and would still be willing to help, I sure would appreciate it.
After doing a couple different bikes, I've found the simplest way is to add a DC harness, leaving the OE harness untouched. I've done both and the seperate harness was by far the easiest and most reliable. You'll only add the wires that you need to run the items you've chosen to include and depending on where you decide to locate the reg/rect the under seat area can be left uncrowded. Troubleshooting the ignition remains the same as stock and you're not at the mercy of your wiring job when it quits in the middle of nowhere. I prefer to gnd the AC as it's already grounded and the dc items always come with a (+) and (-) which makes it easy to run them back to the battery. Just a personal preference though.

Here's a diagram of a system I used, it's very basic (on purpose) and mimics the honda OE (XRL) setup as close as possible.

This is a fully integrated system, not the seperate DC that I described (that came later) This setup worked fine for the 5K mi I had the bike setup that way, I chose to go a more minimalistic approach and run a cap. The DC setup had good charging of the battery and bright lights, seperate DC system will do the same.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #1065
Rydah

Rats, I'm at work, and can't see your diagram. Will check when I get home. Good suggestion though, Chris. When I bought the bike, it already had the RS stator and the BD kit installed. Does the BD kit replace the stock harness, or is it still there, but has just been added to? In other words, can I remove the BD kit and end up with the stock harness? Also, I'm assuming then that the stock harness is robust enough to handle the increased wattage of the RS stator?
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom