Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 888
Why not join the monthly Airheads Barley therapy at the Pyramid Brewery Wed night at 6. Over in Berkeley.

Always first Wednesday of the month. The Penisulla group is first Monday of the Month at the Tied House in Mountain View.

Also have a Tech Day coming up in Santa Cruz on April 13th...start around 10ish till whenever.

Greg
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
First Real Ride

Got a hundred miles in on the new steed

For fresh off the cutting room floor she did just fine. Rode to work through 30 miles of lane splitting hell. No drama. Engine smooth as silk at any speed. Nice balance, very little brake dive, suspension real stable.

Got done at 4:30 and headed out toward the coast on Old Page Mill. It's wonderful little road, tight, twisty, climbs up to the coastal ridge line above the Bay.

I found the suspension to be very compliant, but shock firms right up when dropping over the big bumps. Maybe a little loose at this point as the clickers are far from dialed in. The front is solid and turns in just right. I did notice it get a little vague and skittery over ripples when leaned over. Need to fix that, not quite sure what to do, but time will tell. Close enough that I'm very sure it will be just fine. Good news is the springs, ride height and front to rear balance feel just right. Very pleased but have some fiddling to do.

Engine is super smooth. Limited power, but we all know that. I like the feel under acceleration. Didn't notice any hesitation or obvious jetting issues under power. Shes fueling just fine. I do have an idle problem. The engine revs on when I chop the throttle while standing still. Little blips raise the revs and take a second or two to retreat. idle speed is good, balanced and steady, just the run-on problem. In the past on other rides, I've noticed that to be a sign of a lean mixture screw. this is different in that it doesn't hunt but does run-on. Maybe the pilot is too small. I intentionally started with rich mains because the engine is fresh and we don't want lean under power just yet. Any ideas out there on the idle issue??

Finished the ride with a nice cruise over Skyline and a blast homeward on 280. Wow, no wind screen. There was a stiff headwind, and I was feeling a little blasted at anything over 65. Oh well. the bike didn't bobble or twitch or head slap. Handling at speed is super stable and very predictable, just not real fast...

Mechanically, I must have done OK, nothing fell off or rattled. Tight as can be all around. I did notice a little, odd engine whistle when I cut the throttle at speed. Maybe the breather needs to get gummed up a little to quiet down. Not sure about that one.

Did not stop grinning!!! I felt like I do on a new ride that's gunna be just right. Ear to ear.

Please chime in with any thoughts at all
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,425
Time for a photo shoot so we can send it over to BikeEXIF!
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #34
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,174
Aweome bike, Rick. If it works, its a great weld, AFAIC.

Your idle hang may be an intake air leak? I'm chasing a similar issue.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post

Good starting bike.......
Beauty of a finish

I'm curious to what brand lift the bike is on?

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave View Post
Time for a photo shoot so we can send it over to BikeEXIF!
let's make a date!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #37
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Your idle hang may be an intake air leak? I'm chasing a similar issue.
Thanks, great thought. I'll look around.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #38
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittrunyon View Post
I'm curious to what brand lift the bike is on?
Kendon
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #39
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
let's make a date!
In :-))
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #40
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
Bike looks nice.

High idle issues are sometimes caused by the ignition advance weights hanging up in the advanced position, even as the revs drop off.

The change in ignition timing alone can leave an otherwise properly tuned engine "idling" at 3k rpm.

Flushing the bean can liberally with electric contact or brake cleaner and then dousing it with aerosol silicone spray can often cure sticking advance weights.

I'm surprised your fork springs aren't too stiff after shortening an already heavy wind.

Have fun.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #41
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Bike looks nice.

High idle issues are sometimes caused by the ignition advance weights hanging up in the advanced position, even as the revs drop off.

The change in ignition timing alone can leave an otherwise properly tuned engine "idling" at 3k rpm.

Flushing the bean can liberally with electric contact or brake cleaner and then dousing it with aerosol silicone spray can often cure sticking advance weights.

I was going to suggest leaking intake boots. Had it happen to me before. I like Lornce's suggestion better.

This photo with the 2 different valve covers kind of bothers me though.

Very nice job. I like these kinds of builds where it looks fairly stock to the casual observer but if you look a while and talk to the builder you find that there are many well thought out tweaks.

I predict you will enjoy this bike mucho. I know I would.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Bike looks nice.

I'm surprised your fork springs aren't too stiff after shortening an already heavy wind.

Have fun.

Lornce,

Pretty sure you are on the money regarding idle. There are no leaks I can find. The bean can was well lubed and in excellent running order when I went through it during the build. The issue is most likely timing. I was in a little too much of a hurry to balance carbs when first firing her up. It was running rough initially so I may have bugger'd the timing in my haste to make other adjustments. I'll recheck soon when I have time to get back into it.

I tried the stock springs and found them way soft. Did some research in other threads and saw that other were advocating for stiff springs. They worked out just about right.

Nice to hear from you. Cheers!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #43
R-dubb OP
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I was going to suggest leaking intake boots. Had it happen to me before. I like Lornce's suggestion better.

This photo with the 2 different valve covers kind of bothers me though.

Very nice job. I like these kinds of builds where it looks fairly stock to the casual observer but if you look a while and talk to the builder you find that there are many well thought out tweaks.

I predict you will enjoy this bike mucho. I know I would.
Mike, your right, I'm gunna like it a bunch. The hardest part is getting over the fact that it looks all new and perfect and won't stay that way if I go for few real rides

So yeah, that photo of the cases was pre bead blast. I took in a pair of each style since I wasn't sure what I wanted her to look like at the time

I'm telling you crank balancing is a wonderful thing. Makes for a sweet ride.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #44
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,230
Who did your crank balancing?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #45
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Who did your crank balancing?

Also interested to hear more about this.

Does the balancing need to take into consideration what pistons will be used, or is it a crank only piece of work?

Had believed part of this is a balancing of weight on the crank to take out manufacturing imperfections, but also to reduce overall weight if lighter pistons are used.

I know that the latter point does not apply to this bike as your keeping her stock.

Are there many people out there that will do this job?
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote