Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Did they need to do anything special for your high altitude-ness?
I spoke with them on the phone about any intake/exhaust mods that they should consider
adjusting for. I also think they can set it to run on lower octane???

The FI should adjust for any altitude changes so that never came up in the conversation.

Many long threads out there on the pros and cons of the reflash. The only con I am aware
of is the price. Just under $500. They can always set it back to factory settings if one
prefer hiccups, lower first three gear performance and light surging.

The early european claims of incredible power gains and 3rd gear wheelies are very hard
for me to believe. There is a performance increase. Just not an OMG I can't believe it change.

As I have mentioned it's more of elimination of the gear neutering, very smooth power delivery,
off idle hiccup is gone, no flat spots on acceleration and fuel delivery feels seamless.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,997
I guess it depends on your stature.

The stock windscreen in the low position is fine for me but I'm thinking the Yamaha lowered seat would be ideal for me. I can still one-cheek it at a stop on the stock low position.

1. Luggage. I went it Caribous. What's the point of owning this machine without the ability to lug around your stuff?
2. Auxiliary lighting. I found out from a late night ride that the stock lighting sucks. I have some Hella 500FF's I'm about to install. Hopefully, these fill the voids.
3. Navigation. I get lost a lot. I just use a Garmin car GPS and enclose it in the RAM waterproof box (You can cradle the GPS in a model-specific mount and install that inside the waterproof case so the unit doesn't rattle around). I then use the RAM EZ strap to mount it to the bars. I purchased an aftermarket hardwire adapter and spliced it into the cigarette lighter. The unit turns on and off automatically so I never have to deal with it.

A fourth would be a throttle lock. Ten minutes into a ride and my right hand goes numb.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I spoke with them on the phone about any intake/exhaust mods that they should consider
adjusting for. I also think they can set it to run on lower octane???

The FI should adjust for any altitude changes so that never came up in the conversation.

Many long threads out there on the pros and cons of the reflash. The only con I am aware
of is the price. Just under $500. They can always set it back to factory settings if one
prefer hiccups, lower first three gear performance and light surging.

The early european claims of incredible power gains and 3rd gear wheelies are very hard
for me to believe. There is a performance increase. Just not an OMG I can't believe it change.

As I have mentioned it's more of elimination of the gear neutering, very smooth power delivery,
off idle hiccup is gone, no flat spots on acceleration and fuel delivery feels seamless.

Interesting. Thank you for that information... I'll have to see what future things I do and do a flash afterwards.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
I guess it depends on your stature.

The stock windscreen in the low position is fine for me but I'm thinking the Yamaha lowered seat would be ideal for me. I can still one-cheek it at a stop on the stock low position.

1. Luggage. I went it Caribous. What's the point of owning this machine without the ability to lug around your stuff?
2. Auxiliary lighting. I found out from a late night ride that the stock lighting sucks. I have some Hella 500FF's I'm about to install. Hopefully, these fill the voids.
3. Navigation. I get lost a lot. I just use a Garmin car GPS and enclose it in the RAM waterproof box (You can cradle the GPS in a model-specific mount and install that inside the waterproof case so the unit doesn't rattle around). I then use the RAM EZ strap to mount it to the bars. I purchased an aftermarket hardwire adapter and spliced it into the cigarette lighter. The unit turns on and off automatically so I never have to deal with it.

A fourth would be a throttle lock. Ten minutes into a ride and my right hand goes numb.
Good suggestion. I went with the Rigid 6 inch light bar. Fits like it's OEM.
Well protected and fills that fairing void.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...92384&page=185
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
CottonTop OP
Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
I like those Wolfman racks. Made in Colorado too!
Rocket John, I suspect by your avatar you like all types or racks. And I am with you on that...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
CottonTop OP
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112_2112 View Post
Welcome from another North GA Tenere owner. In fact, I think I may go enjoy this weather this evening and carve up Blood Mountain, or a few Forest Service Roads.

As far as Farkles, I guess it depends on how you are going to use the bike. I went for better seat first because I do some long days and distance. (Russell Day Long). Next was protection for those FS roads (Skid Plate, Crash Bars). Then started doing the other little things like better windscreen, Yamaha Side Wings, Bar Risers, Bags just before Bike Week, and when the tires wore out slapped on a set of K60's. Already had the electonics from a past bike so I was good to go.

Only thing now is I want upgraded suspension for more offroad fun.

Look for a Black Tenere in the hills with a license plate of "RISKI". Usually have my Givi 52l top box on the back.
Thanks for the tips. I wish I could get up to Helen this weekend. Not going to happen - work sucks! I will be up there weekend of the 26; I'll look for you.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
CottonTop OP
Rider

I guess I should say what my intending riding style / use will likely be -- mostly 2 lanes mountain roads, and FS or other mountain dirt roads. I am not into single track on a bike this big... I hate riding the super slab, but sometimes a necessity. I usually take a couple long trips each year. Last year we did Skyline Drive, and the BRP for 10 days. Year before was 7 days in the Ozarks. I never trailered my old Strom, and did a grand on her in one day from Key West back to Atlanta.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonTop View Post
Rocket John, I suspect by your avatar you like all types or racks. And I am with you on that...

Look what came in the mail today... All the way from Canada

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
CottonTop OP
Rider

Quote:

Look what came in the mail today... All the way from Canada

I found some led ones on eBay that I am going to order. I think they will fit the overall style / attitude of the bike better. Post a pick when you get them install.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
The first three things that I installed on my 2012 and my new 2013 were:

1....Throtlle lock-I used a Vista Cruise which works great.

2....Raised the front of the seat.

3....Installed the Yamaha factory winglets.

Then, the next three:

1....Installed Symtec heated grip liners with a relay.

2....Installed a 24" Parabellum windshield.

3....Installed Givi luggage top plate and side racks.

One of the first maintenance items to do is to remove the shift lever pivot bolt and lube the pivot bolt/shift lever....take my word, it will be dry and start to bind if you don't.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
gharshman
Pleasantly Obsessed

Oddometer: 53
You have excellent taste in motorcycles.

My favorite mods:

- Sargent seat
- 2" Rox Risers
- Heidenau K60's
- AltRider crash bars
- PIAA 530 driving lights
- Madstad bracket w/Wunderlich deflector (OEM & OEM tall shields)
- Nat'l Cycle VStream 24" shield (in winter)
- Heated grips (only needed Jan.-Mar. in north Alabama)
- Airscrew adjustment
- Diagnostic mode CO +3
- Clutch switch jumper

Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I did the exact thing I've done to every bike I've owned the last 45yrs and that is nothing. Some of those old bikes I must admit I did a few things to like getting rid of points ignition. Other than that I never see much sense in altering the factory bike. I'd like a GPS, but other than that I see no need for anything. I've ridden mine 800 miles in a day and I can do 800 miles OK factory. Good enough for me and I still think the stock setup is nicer looking than the mods added, but opinions vary. That's mine though.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #28
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
My top three would be the Yamaha winglets, Yamaha fog lights and one of the several types of screen adjusters that are out there.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I did the exact thing I've done to every bike I've owned the last 45yrs and that is nothing. Some of those old bikes I must admit I did a few things to like getting rid of points ignition. Other than that I never see much sense in altering the factory bike. I'd like a GPS, but other than that I see no need for anything. I've ridden mine 800 miles in a day and I can do 800 miles OK factory. Good enough for me and I still think the stock setup is nicer looking than the mods added, but opinions vary. That's mine though.

On behalf of all the aftermarket retailers may I offer you a simple ?

How could you not farkle a bike? That just goes against all that is holy about
bike ownership. Now get out there and buy some shit!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

On behalf of all the aftermarket retailers may I offer you a simple ?

How could you not farkle a bike? That just goes against all that is holy about
bike ownership. Now get out there and buy some shit!!!

Maybe he has a perfect motorcycle build, coupled with the fact he buys a new bike every 4-6 months. So you have a perfect storm of non-farkling. Nothing is uncomfortable and he doesn't have it long enough to care.