Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #256
too old OP
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
On this level of racing, all's fair unfortunately. And staffing a team to keep an eye out for other's infractions of rules is sadly a big part of the game. When KTM (or place any other manufacturer) have invested such a substantial amount of effort & money into their rally program, it's to be expected that they keep a sharp eye out for anything that can give them the advantage.

Heck, they even protested between their top riders (remember Cyril's gloves, Marc's rear tyre, etc)

I would expect no less from HRC, if they are trully serious about their rally effort. Naive just doesn't cut it at World Championship levels.

That said, and regardless of the official results, I think most of us consider Sam the winner of this round
Cheers Brodo - appreciated, but it certainly doesn't change how I feel about it, especially having seen the effort to get where he has today - not bad with 2 broken arms 4 months ago and obsolete bike?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #257
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,016
It's all been said before...still stoked Sam made the podium

Will this open HRC's eyes and will they now bring him to the Sealine In a couple of weeks?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #258
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,997
So the kid podiums in the first rally he enters after having two broken arms...
Claps are the order of the day and a lot of them. Penalty or not this is a fantastic performance.

As has been said rules are rules and as long as everyone is painted with the same brush that is how it should be. Cruel way to learn a lesson in this case indeed but lets not let it tarnish an otherwise stellar rally ride.

Way to go Sam!

Oh and Speedy and Marc and Pau and ...
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #259
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,005
Let's not also forget that Honda's program is a total of 3 rallies old and that Sam scores the official first podium finish for the team in only his 2nd race with them.

Tops marks and I agree that all is fair at this stage. Rules are rules and this will only serve to make Honda more keenly particular in keeping to them as well as watching the rivals for their own screw ups that are bound to happen.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #260
too old OP
Keen supporter

Spoke with him at the ceremonial finish and he is taking it with dignity and pragmatism.

He is still upset of course, but he and the whole team don't think for a second that he will not benefit all round any less than if it didn't happen and he had won, in fact better now than in the Dakar - it won't happen again

In the HRC camp the whole thing is a little bitter sweet, but they are over the moon with Sam's performance

He said thanks to all the support he has received from f5 land also.

Check out his Facebook if you like.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #261
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Remind him of Graham Jarvis and how they took two Erzberg wins from him on technicality.
Sod the rules, we know who won.

Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #262
too old OP
Keen supporter

Have you ever read as much bullshit as this - Coma took victory from Sam who took the lead into the final leg - rather sad really!

http://www.ktm.com/gb/news-events/ne...l#.UWb4EcsayK0
Old 04-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #263
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,997
...Bitterly disappointed to have lost his chance of victory, Sunderland finished third and remained philosophical at the end. “It was a really good week for me but I made a big mistake yesterday,” he said. “During liaison I went to talk to the mechanic about my broken exhaust late in the race and after talking to him I forgot to go through the final two gates and got a ten minute penalty. I’m really gutted, but those are the rules.”

Coma, who has now won the Desert Challenge bikes title five years in a row, said: “I’m very happy to win but feel sorry for Sam because it was clear he was the fastest rider over the five days and deserved his victory. But those are the rules and we have to abide by them.

“For me I was just riding easy for the first three days and just trying to get used to the desert again. I rode harder today, but I knew I had to ride cleanly and not make any mistakes.”...

From http://www.marathonrally.com/
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #264
too old OP
Keen supporter

The last post from me on the ADDC 2013 -

A lot has been written about a certain young man over the last week and indeed 2 years, much from this direction

It's been a tough two years with injury and luck, but I believe this week Sam has been able to prove a lot, not just to the wider world, but as much to himself in his undoubted abilities.

Taking the super special by a second or so he has headed the field on track from the first turn of his wheel until the last and at the age of 24 and still technically a junior - considering this, I would with an element of respect propose that he attains the status of "Junior Alien"

For me though nothing has defined his week more than the last stage

Already kicked with his off course penalty due to third party intervention (the ADCC body did not want to penalise him as they beileved there were mitigating circumstances and it was unspotrtsmanlike) - he was further knocked in that as it was an off course violation his overall and not stage time was affected, so he still had to lead off on the final day with the wolves on his tail

Having said this is might have been a good thing, as him chasing back the lead from 7th could have been dangerous and also at least now his on course time is a true reflection of his week

Starting first, by CP1 he had actually opend a gap on Coma and the rest of the field and was leading - the stage 290 km got quicker as it flattened out and it is no secret that this version of the HRC 450 is not as quick as the other bikes, as expected Coma eventally made up the minure and ran a few seconds ahead at the finish and Sam maintained 1 and a half minute on course lead

What was amazing though was that non of the other starters were able to make up the time to catch him, not even Speedy who was competing for the win - a truly amazing ride from the front.

Sam has been humble and preofessional in his approach as can be seen from his interview on the last stage - some great shots also -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9SFDsvjfho - edit - strange the video has been edited since it was first posted and Sam's pre-race interview has been taken off!

Go Sam
Attached Images

too old screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 09:53 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #265
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Nicely said. Sam handled the penalty as a true professional.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #266
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
They may go back to Leo Vince now.

Edit: Better version.

Balkan Boy screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 03:35 AM
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #267
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Great find and what timing by the photographer.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #268
too old OP
Keen supporter

Said I had made my last post, but I had to make this one - was Sam wearing a Klingon Cloaking Device all week? - Not a mention

The Speedbrain website -
http://www.racing.speedbrain.de/

Paulo Goncalves finishes runner-up at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge aboard Speedbrain 450 Rally

In the end the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge was a nail-biter. Paulo Goncalves aboard his Speedbrain 450 Rally bike gave another brilliant performance in today´s closing leg of the prestigious desert race. The Portuguese captured the victory of stage five just ten seconds ahead of his arch rival Marc Coma, placing him second overall in this first round of the FIM Cross Country Rally World Championship 2013.

On Thursday the participants had to cover 296 more kilometres on their way back to Abu Dhabi. It would become the most thrilling stage of the whole event. Paulo started the day behind Coma and both were forced to put the hammer down on the very fast course, as their world elite competitors were still fighting for top positions also. Navigation didn´t play a role today and riding finesse wasn´t a factor either. Goncalves kept his cool under the full speed circumstances and managed to win the stage from defending World and Abu Dhabi champion Coma. In the final rally classification the 34-year-old offroad veteran missed out on Coma by
32 seconds.

Paulo Goncalves: "I gave everything today and I´m overwhelmed with the outcome. Winning the stage and taking second overall, that´s great. It was a Hitchcock-type affair really, and the smallest mistake could have ended my rally prematurely. I stayed cool though and got the job done. Unfortunately I missed the rally victory by a few seconds. But we showed we have front-runner capabilities and that our motorcycle works fine. I was confirmed that I can fully attack on the bike and run the speed of the very best. Many thanks to my team for their splendid job and sincere congratulations to Marc. We were fighting fair and square."

Team principal Wolfgang Fischer added: "A real nail-biter indeed. At the beginning of the stage Marc Coma was able to gain some ground, but after Paulo had stopped for refuelling he was closing in on him. Ultimately Paulo deserved to win the stage. The ridiculous 32 seconds deficit after such a long rally shows how competitive we are. The top riders in the sport are all on a similar level. Half a minute difference after over 14 hours of total race time, now if that isn´t remarkable! The Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge makes for a brilliant start into our season as a race team and shows our potential as a manufacturer. We have two top riders with Paulo and Joan Barreda and Quinn Cody will join the line-up shortly in Qatar aboard the new Speedbrain 450 Rally. We also used our time here in Abu Dhabi to let several privateers try out the bike. They were all very impressed with the machine. It has been further optimised since the Dakar we are back to preparing the engines in-house. A big thanks and congrats to Paulo, the whole team and our partners, certainly to Monster Energy. Joan Barreda will be fit in a couple of weeks, it´s just a bummer he couldn´t finish the race. Tonight we will celebrate and we´re already looking forward to the Sealine Qatar Rally in a fortnight."

too old screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 10:25 AM
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #269
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,115
HUSQVARNA
As of 12th April 2013, Martino Bianchi will be leaving the post of Head of PR and Racing Activities at Husqvarna Motorcycles after twenty-one years, and will be embarking on a new professional challenge.
We would like to wish Martino all the best in his new endeavor and thank him, not only for his services, but also for the many victories achieved during his years with us.

and guess where is going now.... Honda Rally HRC
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #270
BigBearJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Great find and what timing by the photographer.
I'm thinking it's Photoshop. I believe the exhaust canister is attached at at least two points. Even if it came loose at the main pipe connection it would still just hang there dangling.

Six time consecutive Vegas to Reno Ironman finisher. Lover of desert motorcycle racing. Now navigating the world via power wheelchair.
BigBearJoe is offline   Reply With Quote