Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Glad you're getting it going. I'm assuming the coil has a spark plug wire attached to it, probably behind that air duct where I couldn't see it.

The PAIR system serves no purpose, other than to satisfy the EPA, and can cause some running and starting issues. It is called the Pulsed Air Injection System, and injects air from the intake system into the exhaust, leaning out the mixture in the exhaust causing it to run hot, and usually backfiring. It is controlled by engine vacuum, and there are several places where a vacuum leak can occur. I have always removed them and plugged everything on every bike I ever had that had one, and they always ran better.
Yep - there's a lead to the spark plug & going right to where you can't see it - sorry about that. I know about the air injection - it's similar to the system on my V-Star. I'll probably yank it off the bike eventually, but I just wanted to get this thing on the road as quickly, easily, and cheaply as possible and I didn't want to make a blocking plate for the PAIR system port next to the valve cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm glad to see that everything is working out. I'm sure you will upgrade some time in the future but starting out with a cheap Chinese scooter is a great way to start and learn something about scooters and scooter maintenance. Thanks for documenting it all, it's been very interesting. I hope you enjoy the scooter and have some fun rides on it.
Great to see you here - thanks for stopping by! I've read through a bit of your writing & it sounds like you've been having a blast, too I figured I couldn't go wrong for $25 and I could learn a few things. So far, it's been pretty easy. I'll have a couple of updates soon! I've just been really busy with the bike, my daughter, work, life, etc. and I'm so tired I've fallen asleep at the keyboard a couple times.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Wicked Sammy Hagar had it right

WOW - Do I ever have an update

So, things have been a bit hectic. Aside from my food poisoning, my daughter (7 months old and CUTE!) has had to go to the emergency room twice in the past couple of days due to a really nasty cough and fever. We were worried about RSV, but it looks like it's a combination of a sinus infection and teething - she's got her 5th tooth coming in. She's on antibiotics and alternating ibuprofen/acetaminophen. All should be good, but I just haven't been able to keep up with my blog or this thread. Thanks go out to everyone here for your patience

Getting back to the whole scooter thing... Sunday I took the time to check the fuel and vacuum lines. Both look to be pretty darn new and US made. I disconnected all the vacuum lines at each end and cut just a bit off to give a new connection. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel filter as the old one was kinda cloudy and leaking at a seam. Once all that had been done, it was finally time for the oil changes. My hands were pretty filthy and disgusting, so I didn't get any pics of that.

There are plenty of good videos on YouTube on how to do scooter oil changes and that's where I learned. Actually, here's the video I used:

The engine oil came out looking pretty good and there was plenty of it. The screen looked clean and I didn't see any metal chunks or glints anywhere. Not too bad

The final drive oil was a bit different. It didn't look too great and there wasn't a whole lot of it, either Yeah, but it's not a really big deal - this is a $25 scooter after all

I put decent 15w-40 dino oil in the engine and Yamaha 80w-90 GL4/GL5 in the final drive since I had it hanging around for the final drive in my V-Star.

The next thing I did was to take off the drive train cover as I wanted to see why my kick start felt a bit weird, I wanted to get the numbers off the belt for when it needs to be changed, and I wanted to check the condition of the belt to make sure it wasn't going to disintegrate on me in the next couple weeks.

I made sure to get a pic where I could read all the markings on the belt.

And then I took another pic with everything apart just to show people what's in there.

I found out I really should invest in some better tools

And then I found out why my kick start didn't feel quite right. Check out the bushing next to the gear

I just took the kick start off for the time being. I'll get a new one eventually, but it's just not a priority right now.

All I had left to do at this point was to order mirrors (they've been ordered, but I'm dealing with shipping issues), check the valves, get the temporary registration, safety inspection, and get it registered.

But then I had a thought... The valves don't sound bad and I still have the left side mirror which is the only one legally required...

I took the title down to the DMV to get the temporary registration, but that didn't go as planned. They told me I didn't need a safety inspection based on the year of my vehicle and I got it registered instead

I went home and attached the plate, but didn't have time to reassemble a few things needed before I took it out on the road before I had to get to work. I went back during my lunch break and got a few things put together. The air filter is on, but the storage tub under the seat isn't in and there's no floor mat. Also, due to an issue with the lock on the "glove box" under the handle bars, it's being held closed with duct tape

Sammy Hagar's song "Bad Motor Scooter" was playing in my head along with thoughts of "kick the tires & light the fires" so I got the motor runnin' and headed on the highway (well, surface streets, but work with me here!) and had a blast!

Yes, the carb still needs a bit of tweaking and I should probably increase the idle speed because it doesn't really like to idle when it's cold. Yes, I still plan on checking the valves. I also need to buy some screws to replace some which have gone missing. But I'm having too much fun to let that all get in the way of riding for a while

Some of the things I've noticed since yesterday afternoon are:
  1. Acceleration could be described as gradual or stately, but is completely adequate for around town
  2. Maneuverability in tight quarters at slow speed is freaking amazing if you can get yourself to turn your head and the bars as far as the machine will allow you to
  3. The brakes are actually really darn good!
  4. It's nice not really worrying about scratches, dings, etc.
  5. The center stand really comes in handy for working on the machine or when parked on a hill. The side stand is still pretty nice and convenient if I just have to run in somewhere really quick
  6. I'm still waiting for the fuel gauge to move. I started yesterday with a full tank (about 1.5 gallons) and I've gone about 15 miles. The needle still hasn't budged.
  7. The floor and grocery bag hook are downright handy for bringing things home from the store
  8. The speedometer appears to be as optimistic as someone buying $1000 worth of lottery tickets. I'm looking forward to finding out real speeds with a GPS sometime soon
  9. I can't quite put my finger on why, but this thing is just a whole lot of FUN
Thanks again for sticking around and I'll be sure to post updates as things happen and milestones pass. Have a great day and ride safe everyone
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post

1. I can't quite put my finger on why, but this thing is just a whole lot of FUN ............................................ ...............
Great update.

This one statement especially stood out. Yes, riding a small scooter has a tendency to put a shit eating grin on your face

After over 2 years and 10,000+ miles on my Super 8 it still has that affect

Enjoy your scooter and don't be in a hurry to move on to a bigger and "better" scooter.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #34
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 527
I agree with what Klaviator wrote. A 150 is about perfect for city streets. A 250 is equally perfect if you ride on busy freeways. On regular, light traffic freeways a 150 will work fine, unless you are well over 200 pounds. Keep the tires aired up to 28 or so, maybe a pound or 2 more in the back. There's a temptation to look for a bigger machine, but they are not as nimble and responsive as a 150. That ability to dart and dash is hard to find in a bigger machine.

Just remember, NO ONE SEES YOU! You're invisible now. Don't count on anyone doing anything logical. In a little fender bender they get annoyed, you get dead.

Head up, eyes open, and off you go.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #35
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
great update.

This one statement especially stood out. Yes, riding a small scooter has a tendency to put a shit eating grin on your face

after over 2 years and 10,000+ miles on my super 8 it still has that affect

enjoy your scooter and don't be in a hurry to move on to a bigger and "better" scooter.
Thanks! I think I'm going to keep a scooter around no matter what happens with other bikes - it's very practical and fun! I don't think I'll want or need a bigger scooter so much - I live in a small town in rural Utah and a 150cc is just about perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentwest View Post
i agree with what klaviator wrote. A 150 is about perfect for city streets. A 250 is equally perfect if you ride on busy freeways. On regular, light traffic freeways a 150 will work fine, unless you are well over 200 pounds. Keep the tires aired up to 28 or so, maybe a pound or 2 more in the back. There's a temptation to look for a bigger machine, but they are not as nimble and responsive as a 150. That ability to dart and dash is hard to find in a bigger machine.

Just remember, no one sees you! You're invisible now. Don't count on anyone doing anything logical. In a little fender bender they get annoyed, you get dead.

Head up, eyes open, and off you go.
I can totally agree I actually weigh about 300 pounds (I'm working on reducing that soon) right now, so this is going to be strictly an in-town machine. Besides, the closest freeway is about 60 miles away The only bigger scooter I'd want would be a Big Ruckus, but I don't want to spend that much. It just looks like it would be great for the dirt roads around here.

Oh, I know I'm invisible - I've got almost 2 years and 15,000 miles on my V-Star 650 (most of that in Las Vegas) so I'm used to thinking for all the cagers around me That said, I noticed today that I seem to have gone from nearly invisible to negative visibility - people see me even less on the scooter

I'm thinking I may have to see about possibly re-painting the beast before too long though - It was cheap enough and there's enough scrapes (and a bit worse) on the plastics that it might turn into a decent rat-rod type machine...

No matter what though, I'm gonna have FUN
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

OK, it's finally update time again

It's a long story about what went wrong in the process of getting them, but the mirrors are here
Hereís a head-on shot of my scooter to show what it looks like at night. Actually, thereís been a minor change. See where that marker light should be right next to the starboard headlamp? See where thereís a noticeable glow from within the bodywork a little ways below and to the side of that? Itís just to the left (photo left Ė scooter starboard) of the wheel and fender. I took a few minutes and got that marker light back where itís supposed to be. Again
Getting back to talking about the new mirrors, letís refer to the next two pictures for a couple of moments.

I think the way the running lights and turn signals work on these mirrors is pretty strange. The amber/yellow light you see above is actually a running light. Itís on anytime the engine is running.

Now, do you see that little red LED thatís lit up just to the right of the running light thatís not lit up? Yeah, that tiny little red thing is the turn signal. If you just went then you had the same reaction I did. I figured that either whatís actually the running light would just flash as a signal or that it would be the turn signal and the LED would be the running light. This seems just a little to me.
Oh well, at least I have TWO mirrors and the lights in them actually work even if they provide a better view of my elbows than they do most of the road behind me Iím still good to go and Iíll keep on riding
One other thing I have to report is that I've managed to figure out what the speedometer error is! I used a GPS speedometer app on my iPhone, so take this for what it's worth.
At an indicated 25 MPH, I'm actually going 21. From there up through indicated 50 MPH (actual 45 MPH), it's all a simple 5 MPH difference with the speedometer reading 5 MPH too fast.
Have fun and keep riding everyone
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Bluhduh Oh joy. Oh rapture.

I think I'm going to make a priority out of getting the kick start on my scooter working again.

The battery was very low for some unknown reason when I went to leave work to go to lunch. The engine cranked a bit slow, but fired up OK & I headed toward home A couple blocks later, the engine stopped and the battery was too weak to crank it over again So I started pushing

It was only about a mile and a half to my place, but that's a lot further than I usually care to walk even when I'm not pushing a scooter. It also took up about 2/3 of my lunch time just getting the scooter home and put onto the charger

Oh well, whatchagonnado? I know I could use the exercise (even if it was annoying) and the scooter fired up OK when I got it home and put it on a set of jumper cables from my car so at least it's something easily fixed

Yes, I'll be sure to post when I finally get the kicker reinstalled

Have a great day, everyone
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
FWIW The kickstart on these scooters is a joke. I am running a good battery from walmart. The original cheap Chinese batteries are horrible and not worth keeping even if the work at the moment.
Biggest chore is running it often enough to keep the carb clean. The pilot jet will plug up easily as it is soooo tiny.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
FWIW The kickstart on these scooters is a joke. I am running a good battery from walmart. The original cheap Chinese batteries are horrible and not worth keeping even if the work at the moment.
Biggest chore is running it often enough to keep the carb clean. The pilot jet will plug up easily as it is soooo tiny.
Thanks for the reply

This is actually a Die Hard battery, but I've had to refill it with acid and re-charge it. It seems to be doing well for the most part. This is the first time it's given me any trouble after I refilled it and I have a feeling a bit of water from riding in the rain might have gotten into the wrong place and drained it a bit. I stuck it on the charger and gave it a full charge tonight, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #40
Domindart
Scoot'in on......

Oddometer: 15
Hey bud! I think you posted over at Itistheride and just wanted to say hello! just registered here... Very nice build up.

Scoot on!!
Domindart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #41
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Living dangerously! Any battery that has been down to 5V won't be around for long. The plates get all messed up by sulfation. Unless you like to walk/push a lot...a new battery might be good

http://www.batteryequaliser.com/prod...aintenance.htm
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #42
ParrotheadJeff OP
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domindart View Post
Hey bud! I think you posted over at Itistheride and just wanted to say hello! just registered here... Very nice build up.

Scoot on!!
Hey there! Yep, that's me over there Thanks for the compliment and keep scootin' yourself, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Living dangerously! Any battery that has been down to 5V won't be around for long. The plates get all messed up by sulfation. Unless you like to walk/push a lot...a new battery might be good

http://www.batteryequaliser.com/prod...aintenance.htm
Thanks for the warning, but I'd been warned about that going in I think what really happened is that the battery was just left alone and allowed to dry out. I figure I only use this scoot around town (and it's a SMALL town), so the furthest I'd have to push it would be a couple miles and I can always use the exercise If I want to go further than that, I've still got my V-Star Actually, I've got roadside assistance through my insurance company, so I could either get a jump or a tow/carry home if need be

Have a great day