Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #5881
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
The Australian delivered KLRs have a government directed restriction installed onto the bikes/carb. This severely limits the power. It (like the EPA controls placed on ours here in the USA, which does not affect the performance) can be removed.

I have an 08 works manual at home that I recall has the Aussie limiter illustrated. I will review it when I get home from work.
If you restrict the power of a KLR650 does it still have enough to move itself down the road?

(hey, I own one and actually like the damn thing, so I can joke about it....)

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #5882
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Oh yeah, forgot to mention..
I pulled my carb yesterday and found an ant in the float bowl

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #5883
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Well, I was sitting here bored watching "R U faster than a redneck".. WTF? But knew it was time to check my valve lash so I tore myself away from this totally intriguing show and got down to it. It has been about 6K since the 688, port, valves, hot cams and about 4K since I reshimmed. yadda yadda yadda. I know that the hot cams have tighter tolerances than the stock set up so...
Anyway, off comes the side covers (where are those cool faucet washers I saw the other day to keep from loosing those damn screws? And the seat and tank. I battled the setup of this Lectron carb FOREVER so I had better look at the plug... Looks a bit lean so I turned the metering rod in a 1/4 turn before I reassembled.
Pulled all the necessary ***t aside to weasel out the valve cover and inspected cams lobe surfaces. All looked good. Whipped out the feeler gauges and exhausts were just tight of middle tolerance, intakes were in tolerance but barely.. What does that tell me? Those intakes are opening all they can suckin' up all that A/F mix.. (I made a note of lash and will have shims ready for another 3K check). I thought of doing the MC mod and advancing the exhaust cam a tooth but I am not sold on that yet, especially with a modded head.
Long, bored, buzzed story later I am good to go for while and am shoving a bit more fuel down the throat of the beast...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #5884
oneblackdog
slowest of the slow

Oddometer: 175
restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Hi all, just a quickie, my new KLR is just about run in and due it's 1k service. I really want to get it de-restricted. Can anyone tell me how to do it or am I better getting the dealer to do it at first service? Thanks.
G'day Rod, welcome to the weird world of cheap-asre DIY

Don't bother with the dealer, most don't know about the "restriction" and no-one knows for sure why it is done (it only started on the '08; some say "power" for learner riders, but even with-out the restriction plus and o/s piston and exhaust it still complies; others say "emissions", but legislation hasn't changed; and another crazy idea is "running in" ). You can de-restrict it yourself. The restriction is just 2 small holes in the side of the carb slide, the effect is to stop the slide rising fully - thus stopping wide open throttle. They can be filled with metal glue, blocked with with metal tape on the inside, or even filled with rivets. Lots of info in the Aus sections of the KLR specific forums.

The other bigish job urgently needed is to grease ALL the bearings (the reason the KLR is so cheap is that they skimped on grease) and by ALL I mean ALL - wheels, suspension linkages, swing arm pivot & steering head.

It makes for a great day of getting to know your bike

OBD
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #5885
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Stock bars?

Anyone have a set hanging up you want to rid yourself of??? Thanks, Walt.

FOLLOW ME!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rytJ4p77xkQ75p
Flameout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #5886
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Well, I was sitting here bored watching "R U faster than a redneck".. WTF? But knew it was time to check my valve lash so I tore myself away from this totally intriguing show and got down to it. It has been about 6K since the 688, port, valves, hot cams and about 4K since I reshimmed. yadda yadda yadda. I know that the hot cams have tighter tolerances than the stock set up so...
Anyway, off comes the side covers (where are those cool faucet washers I saw the other day to keep from loosing those damn screws? And the seat and tank. I battled the setup of this Lectron carb FOREVER so I had better look at the plug... Looks a bit lean so I turned the metering rod in a 1/4 turn before I reassembled.
Pulled all the necessary ***t aside to weasel out the valve cover and inspected cams lobe surfaces. All looked good. Whipped out the feeler gauges and exhausts were just tight of middle tolerance, intakes were in tolerance but barely.. What does that tell me? Those intakes are opening all they can suckin' up all that A/F mix.. (I made a note of lash and will have shims ready for another 3K check). I thought of doing the MC mod and advancing the exhaust cam a tooth but I am not sold on that yet, especially with a modded head.
Long, bored, buzzed story later I am good to go for while and am shoving a bit more fuel down the throat of the beast...
Hey Brian I'll be curious to see your take on the MC mod,I almost did it when I had the cover off,but being new to the motor I opted to wait on that one also.The guy in downtown that I met has a bunch of shims that fit our motors,text me and I'll give ya his name.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #5887
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

EM admits that the MC mod at the moment is an improvement but probably not optimal. The optimal advance is probably not exactly 1 tooth on the cam gear. I am sure the two Mikes are working feverishly to perfect the mod, along with their new 719 big bore and the stroker kit. I personally will wait for some more info and testing . I will PM you.....
Old 04-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #5888
JDUBinCO
Mass Centralized

Oddometer: 60
Stock carb any good?

I'm sitting on a stock Klr carb and wondering if it would be worth of another dirt bike? Mainly does it have a fair amount of snap.
Id like to put it in my xr400 because some guys are putting cv carbs from dr650s or polaris predators and getting improvements similar to installing a pumper carb. I have this sitting here so why not? But if the carb is a turd id rather not take the time.
Advise?
Thanks
John
Old 04-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #5889
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Here are a few pics from my ride today. I had a client the other day that lived out in the boonies on a road I never knew existed before. On the way I had to cross through some open range and came upon this awesome meadow and some dry creek beds. I had to go back and get some spring pics of this beautiful place, everything is so green and gorgeous.... A few weeks from now the heat of summer will turn this scenic green meadow into a tinder dry field. I had to get these pics while I could!

Mt. Lassen in the background...

And a shot of Mt. Shasta, just a few miles from the Lassen shot...

I have lived all over the U.S. but I truly think that the State of Jefferson has some of the most beautiful, diverse country I can recall. We may be in Commiefornia, but we don't want to be...
Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #5890
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Here are a few pics from my ride today. I had a client the other day that lived out in the boonies on a road I never knew existed before. On the way I had to cross through some open range and came upon this awesome meadow and some dry creek beds. I had to go back and get some spring pics of this beautiful place, everything is so green and gorgeous.... A few weeks from now the heat of summer will turn this scenic green meadow into a tinder dry field. I had to get these pics while I could!
[/URL]
I have lived all over the U.S. but I truly think that the State of Jefferson has some of the most beautiful, diverse country I can recall. We may be in Commiefornia, but we don't want to be...
Northern Cal is a very beautiful place. That where I want to retire. Plus you all have lots of crops up there.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #5891
8lives
Dharma Bum

I shoulda chased ya!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #5892
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

You got that right BD !!!! :) ..... Mark, anytime! We haven't ridden together yet and that is a crime !!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #5893
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
You got that right BD !!!! :) ..... Mark, anytime! We haven't ridden together yet and that is a crime !!!!
Ya I know,I had stuff to do today,we will get it together,might buzz out to Hayfork tomarrow
Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #5894
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

If ya want I will show you the old Stagecoach road to Lewiston... I don't wanna slab it all the way to Hayfork but will go as far as Lewiston, then prolly take Deadwood back to French Gulch.... Let me know!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #5895
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
If ya want I will show you the old Stagecoach road to Lewiston... I don't wanna slab it all the way to Hayfork but will go as far as Lewiston, then prolly take Deadwood back to French Gulch.... Let me know!
Ok I'll see what the morning brings,may do a HWY 36 loop.