Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #76
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
Blackcaps, I think you know better than me what it is like to be a lonely rider. Isn't that your motto - do it alone
Well I know what I feel and think but wanted to know and hear from you.
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #77
iowarider123
Wanderluster

Oddometer: 15
Spain

Thanks for the awesome ride report and pics! Amazing places.. so beautiful and untammed.
You look very familiar, was wondering if you were the gentleman I talked to with his wife and daughter back in August 2008 near Vejer de la Frontera, Spain at a restaurant. I was with my wife. I know its a far shot but I figured I would ask. Thanks again for the excellent pics and notes.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #78
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
We spent two nights in Bishkek, had a couple of beers there and some decent food and my first icecream on this trip.
Leaving Kyrgyzstan was absolutely troublefree. There were lots of cars and trucks waiting, but people waved us on and we were in front. Nobody seemed to be upset. Here again, customs officials were efficient.
At the Kazakh border same impression, but they wanted to search our luggage. They were simply curious to see our gear.
We were on excellent roads all the way to Almaty and on to the lake north of the town. We wanted to go along the lake north of Almaty and into the National Park, but were not allowed to enter without special permission. So we camped at the lake.

[IMG][/IMG]

First stop in Kazakhstan. Adrian insisted on paying

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Swiss bikers in underwear, it was getting hot again. We couldn't get to the water, too bad.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

On the second day, going north to Taldyqorghan and on to Lepsi.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It was a hot and bumpy ride. We stopped in Lepsi to buy food and drinks for another camp and who do we meet? Jan from Prag on his F800 GS, who had come much the same way I had. But he had also been across the Afghan border. So we were four to camp at the river.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If you look carefully, you can see the Swiss bikers' 'espresso machine'. Some bikers' needs are bigger than others'.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was getting hotter every day.

[IMG][/IMG]

And sandy.

[IMG][/IMG]

We took a break with those railroad workers. Nobody wanted to move. It was tough going and distances in KZ are huge.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Barren land for many miles. It's gravel, sand, dried mud, shrubs, but you feel so much safer when you are not alone.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After a long day riding in the sun and dust, camp at a brook. The water was perfect for a bath.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We spent one night in Semey (Semipalatinsk) and on Friday 24th we entered Russia at the border post south of Rubtsovsk.
We were very positively surprised by Kazakh people. The roads are perfect in the south but badly deteriorated in the north. It's incredible that even the main roads are in such a bad state. It's potholes, broken asphalt, gravel, burst truck tires. At times we couldn't go much faster than 30 -50 kms/h for long stretches of straight road.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

First stop in Russia, right after the border.
Leaving Kazakhstan was easy. We bought insurance for Russia for 15 days. This was long enough for the transit to Barnaul and on to Mongolia.
The Russians were very helpful with filling in the immigration forms and we didn't have the impression that they made us wait longer than necessary. While we were waiting, we were chatting or trying to chat with army people and customs officials. Rather relaxed.
And then we had our first drink in Russia. Nastarowje, or something like that. Please feel free to correct me. My Russian was so minimal and now it's almost completely gone. I think this is the single, most useful investment for a trip in those countries - study some Russian. It serves in all countries, from Turkmenistan on till Ukraine. Of course you can do it without, like me, but it makes a big difference, we all know that.
I have to add something here. I was so glad I had my Garmin and OSM.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 10:57 AM
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #79
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
Well I know what I feel and think but wanted to know and hear from you.
Well, could you please ask easier questions, like for example, which tires I was travelling with?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #80
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider123 View Post
Thanks for the awesome ride report and pics! Amazing places.. so beautiful and untammed.
You look very familiar, was wondering if you were the gentleman I talked to with his wife and daughter back in August 2008 near Vejer de la Frontera, Spain at a restaurant. I was with my wife. I know its a far shot but I figured I would ask. Thanks again for the excellent pics and notes.
I am glad that you like my report. Well, that was certainly not me. In August 2008 I spent a holiday in Alsace and Franche Comté with my wife and daughters.
A beautiful region of France.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #81
Nate 2013
n00b

Oddometer: 5
This is an AWESOME thread!! Thank you for sharing!! Pictures are fantastic!!
Nate 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #82
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Out of curiosity, what .gpx file, if any, do you have for traveling through Mongolia? I'm planning a solo ride from Europe to Asia this summer and would appreciate information concerning navigation through Mongolia's "roads". Thank you!
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #83
L.A. Don
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Great stuff, thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to the next update!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #84
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by eustachius View Post
What happened here?
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #85
fraeli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
fraeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #86
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Next post tomorrow. I'm sorry. Birthday party of one of my travel companions. You will get to know him in Barnaul. I'm gonna have some beers now.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #87
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 981
here.... lemme buy you one!.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #88
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 996
kanpai
Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #89
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 96
Prost
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #90
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
Out of curiosity, what .gpx file, if any, do you have for traveling through Mongolia? I'm planning a solo ride from Europe to Asia this summer and would appreciate information concerning navigation through Mongolia's "roads". Thank you!
I/we had a map of Mongolia, of course. It was 1:1 600 000, world mapping project, Reise Know How. It's rip&waterproof, it says. It gives you a good idea of distances and sights.
And I had downloaded the OpenStreetMap 'tiles' of Mongolia and all the other countries I had travelled through. This source is incredible. It worked perfect on my Garmin. Navigation was no problem at all.

Have a nice and safe trip and enjoy it.