Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Cool electrical farkel, in your glove box. Power your stuff.

Well I have had my new 2012 990 for a week and a half. I have added my GPS, V1 radar detector, and a Ampi-rider to control my tunes. I am trying to be a minimalist with this bike, and trying to keep it simple. That said, there is just not enough places to hook up your electronics. Sure you have the ACC 1, and ACC 2 under the dash, but thats not good enough for me.

Here's what I did in less than a hour and for less than $11.00 bucks. Keep in mind, all disclaimers apply.

Here's a link for the part.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...yword=350418bp

I also will use the 90 deg. connectors to give me the most room for wiring.

And here's whats involved. Remove the glove box. With the new fuse panel scribe around it on the back side. Lay it out, and take your time.. Make it look factory..

I used a step drill to remove most of the plastic, then a dremell. Clean it up and square the corners with a razor knife. The new hole is to the rider of the stock fuse panel.

This is what the backside looks like after you have the hole cut and pressed into place.

After your happy with the fix, stick it in place. I used some epoxy, the type you just knead together. JB weld is just to runny, and will make a mess.

And here is the final product, and if I have to say so... It looks like it came there. And it has a cool clear cover for the fuses.

The only down side to this panel... One side is not a common buss. So you will have to chain the terminals on one side (hot side) together. On the plus side you can have half always hot, and relay the other to come on with the key...

I have seen several post on this subject... Hope this helps.

This will give you a fused point of protection. You still have to wire it... And do it the right way... Don't let any smoke out, it's a bitch to put it back in..

Smitty

smitty141 screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 06:33 PM
smitty141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board

Thats what i'm going to use. i like the concept of all in one type deal.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
DakarDarrell
n00b

Oddometer: 6
That looks like a factory fit, it gets the DakarDarrell seal of approval
DakarDarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board

Thats what i'm going to use. i like the concept of all in one type deal.
The problem with putting a fuse box/fuseblock in the glove box is maintenance If you have to remove the glove box you will have to remove all the wiring from the panel. Plus pull all the wires through the hole you had to drill in the box. The Fuseblock in your link is great, but I see no real good place on this bike to put it.

I can just unplug the wiring and remove .. That said, there's many ways to skin a cat..

Smitty
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 432
Thumb First class Install

As usual, another quality and professional looking install from Smitty
CamelBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
The problem with putting a fuse box/fuseblock in the glove box is maintenance If you have to remove the glove box you will have to remove all the wiring from the panel. Plus pull all the wires through the hole you had to drill in the box. The Fuseblock in your link is great, but I see no real good place on this bike to put it.

I can just unplug the wiring and remove .. That said, there's many ways to skin a cat..

Smitty
Why not fasten nuts to the fuse block, then use screws from the top just like the factory block. Having to unplug the wiring will be a pain every time you remove the tanks. If some one else services the bike they likely won't get it back together correctly.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Why not fasten nuts to the fuse block, then use screws from the top just like the factory block. Having to unplug the wiring will be a pain every time you remove the tanks. If some one else services the bike they likely won't get it back together correctly.

Tha spare fuses are in the way... What would be perfect if that was possible. I am thinking about adding a five wire plug to the bottom. That way you could just unplug the whole unit. Something like a trailer/SAE connector. That would make it super simple to unplug..

Smitty
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Tha spare fuses are in the way... What would be perfect if that was possible. I am thinking about adding a five wire plug to the bottom. That way you could just unplug the whole unit. Something like a trailer/SAE connector. That would make it super simple to unplug..

Smitty
Carry the fuses in a baggie in the glove box.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:

Smitty
Buy a 6 way molex connector. Same type of plug used by KTM for the headlight, so it can certainly carry the current of your accessories.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOLEX-conn...item43aa6d9108
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post

the lid of the glovebox is removable, so remove it, cut a small slot and line it with rubber trim and run you wires in, if you need to remove the box then you can with minimum of fuss
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote