User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Green Grand Prix 2013 on the track at Watkins Glen

Coming up Friday April, 19, 2013. On the track for the Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen with my Honda CBR250R motorcycle for a fuel economy challenge. I'm trying to improve on 134.9 mpgUS from last year with some Vetter style aero modifications. See you there and again on Saturday for the excellent tech display in the paddock and the Electrathon competition. Bring the kids and show them how fun it is to be green.

sendler screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 06:55 PM
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,260
What sort of performance criteria need to be met for you run? Certain speed or time/distance?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Try this for info:

http://www.greengrandprix.com/
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

We were required to average 45 mph as it was held under the guise of an SCCA Time/ Distance road rally where you get points for hitting the check points at various places around the track at the ideal times. They waived the white flag at the three hour mark telling you to complete one more lap. We were also required to take two, five minute breaks. Everybody finished with right around 129 miles. I used full on Pulse and Glide and this was the only time I have ever used Engine off Coasting. It was windy but blowing in the perfect direction as it was in my face all the way up the uphill back stretch which would have required throttle anyway. And was a tail wind on the front straight which I was able to coast with the engine off for three quarters of the length and down to the bottom of turn one after gunning it up to 55 mph out of the last turn. There were also three other areas where I was able to run engine off.
The competition was actually taken quite seriously with team Lexus getting black flagged for having the hybrid sedan draft the SUV. Toyota also had a factory demo fleet there showing off the new Prius C which broke 60 mpgUS with the cruise control on.
The guy with the Heinkel got 120mpg on the track. And crushed us all over the road the next day with another 120 mpg result where we were running up one side of the lake and back down the other on beautiful country roads but in a driving rain that was so strong that the electrathon competitors had to call off the race as it was to bad to travel in. I got 101 mpg that day. And a burger at McDonald's where I stopped after 70 miles to warm up for a few minutes.

Notice the rag top and that you open the windshield like a door to climb in.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Any mods are allowed as long as the vehicle remains road legal and rideable at 70 mph into a 30 mph headwind (for Vetter competitions).
I probably wouldn't ever go so far as to meddle with the trans innards with an extra neutral. The goal is not to build a competition vehicle. We are trying to advance fuel economy of motorcycles to a level that is far beyond what any car could ever aspire to, while improving poor weather rideability, comfort (first choice out of all your vehicles in the garage), and adding a lockable trunk that is big enough to carry all of your groceries. Vetter design philosophy #2 or 3: "Make sure whatever you do is worth the trouble". So only gearing changes. Nothing inside the trans. I might play with cam timing and intake runner length eventually but this would probably require a remap. I am also not real anxious to make the CBR250R any louder than it already is even though I could unleash another 10% of economy.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Green GP and Craig Vetter Challenge are two slightly different animals as I understand them. GGP is all about outright MPG while CVC is about pushing the boundaries of motorcycle useability.

Good luck with your run. Will you be at Mid-Ohio later in the year for the Challenge?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Green GP and Craig Vetter Challenge are two slightly different animals as I understand them. GGP is all about outright MPG while CVC is about pushing the boundaries of motorcycle useability.

Good luck with your run. Will you be at Mid-Ohio later in the year for the Challenge?
Vetter fuel economy challenges focus on fuel economy also but with the stipulation that the vehicle must be highspeed highway worthy and carry 100 liters of groceries without smashing them. Ohio is a blast!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

It will be a long day next Friday for the 2013 Green Grand Prix as both the on track and the over the road fuel economy challenges are on the same day this year. 7:00AM for the first observed fill up. Be there or be square. The events run all day with an awards banquet at 5:00. The long range weather forecast calls for 50F and no rain. Spring is very late in coming to the North East USA this year. Last year was cold too with sunny skies on Friday but severe storms for the road course on Saturday which washed out the Electrathon race.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Good luck

At the Glen. Maybe someday I'll get the planets to align so that I can make it. there.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,912
This is great. Thanks for the thread and the info. 120mpg!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

It looks like I'll be riding over in 45F in the morning with 65 and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Iffy weather for the event again this year.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep your head down and hang tough.

The upside is that if someone can video you it will be easy to see how the air is flowing over and around you. Have you modified the back with a fishtail or other air mod?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

I ride in bad weather all the time. It doesn't bother me. If it gets cold I can turn on my heated gear. Or, stop at McDonalds for a burger like I did last year since I don't care about hitting the times for the rally portion of the competition. I may have to ride my PCX150 instead of the CBR250. I started a truncated tail on the 250 but didn't get it done. It has been too cold so far this year to work in the garage that I put off starting until too late. Crazy weather. Oh well. The PCX will still break 100 mpg and is also a commendable product to promote. I am the only two wheeler entered again this year. People in the USA think bikes are toys but I am there to show they are real transportation. I can leave at 5:00AM, ride 2 hours to get there in any weather, ride a 3 hour event, have lunch, ride another 2 hour event, have dinner, and ride home.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

A great day at the Green Grand Prix. The bad weather held off until we were inside for dinner. They even sent us down some dirt and gravel roads. I did 124 mpgUS on the track and 109 over the road.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Great Job!

Looks like a great event. Lots of diversity in vehicles are starting to show up for the GGP. Bob does a good job as promoter.

Did you manage to take 1st place in your class?