ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Northeast GA
Oddometer: 233
West Virginny

A friend and I are headed from North Georgia to Beckley, WV next month (mid-May) to behold the New River Gorge and all that entails. I seek YOUR special insights into this area. The BIG PICTURE is to spend at least one full day riding in the Beckley area. Would love to get a picture in front of the Boone County Courthouse...maybe Jesco White would pose with us?

AKA, it looks like a spectacular area and I would like the benefit of some local expertise as to what to see. Gotta ride the new bridge and the old bridge if possible.

Thanks!!

Bob
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
Oddometer: 312
Some Points of Interest:
  • Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine
  • Cranberry Glades Area
  • Hawk's Nest State Park
  • Twin Falls State Park
  • Greenbrier Resort
  • Pipestem State Park
  • Babcock State Park

Roads to Ride:
  • US Route 60 Lewisburg to Charleston
  • US Route 219 Lewisburg to Marlington (Snowshoe Resort)
  • US Route 16 in either direction from Beckley
That ought to give you a pertty good start.....have a great time and enjoy.
__________________
1. "The road goes on forever, and the party never ends.........."
2. "If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times..........There's a douche-bag in every crowd!"
2002 H-D Sportster 1200C - 2000 Suzuki DR650SE - 2008 H-D Road King Classic
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
travlin
Adventurer
 
travlin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southern WV.
Oddometer: 81
Here's a good loop. Be sure to stop at the Cheese and More Store in Gap Mills, and the Swinging Bridge restaurant in Paint Bank. I would go out on the two lane and return via 460 and 77. If you're not worn out, you can ride 19 from Princeton to Beckley, which is a decent ride too. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2332066
__________________
Ken Vreeke:
I ride because it's the ultimate therapy for the human condition. Plus, I like to go fast.
travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
travlin
Adventurer
 
travlin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southern WV.
Oddometer: 81
Here's another loop that includes the New River Gorge and the Highland Scenic Highway. Be sure to stop at the visitors center at the gorge bridge and the Cranberry Glades visitors center. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2332120
__________________
Ken Vreeke:
I ride because it's the ultimate therapy for the human condition. Plus, I like to go fast.
travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
A friend and I are headed from North Georgia to Beckley, WV next month (mid-May) to behold the New River Gorge and all that entails. I seek YOUR special insights into this area. The BIG PICTURE is to spend at least one full day riding in the Beckley area. Would love to get a picture in front of the Boone County Courthouse...maybe Jesco White would pose with us?

AKA, it looks like a spectacular area and I would like the benefit of some local expertise as to what to see. Gotta ride the new bridge and the old bridge if possible.

Thanks!!

Bob
The old bridge is easy to get to, you just follow the road to the bottom of the gorge and back up the other side.
__________________
1. "The road goes on forever, and the party never ends.........."
2. "If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times..........There's a douche-bag in every crowd!"
2002 H-D Sportster 1200C - 2000 Suzuki DR650SE - 2008 H-D Road King Classic
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Northeast GA
Oddometer: 233
Thanks Guys. What route is the new bridge on? And what route is the old bridge on?
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
travlin
Adventurer
 
travlin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southern WV.
Oddometer: 81
The new bridge is on U.S. 19 a little over twenty miles north of Beckley. The old bridge is on Fayette Station Road. If you stop at the visitors center which is on the right immediately after crossing the big bridge north bound, the road down the mountain into the gorge is right there.
__________________
Ken Vreeke:
I ride because it's the ultimate therapy for the human condition. Plus, I like to go fast.
travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,330
Thurmond WV, abandoned rail town. Go in from the north on gravel raod.



There are 50 abandoned towns in the New River Gorge.
__________________
"The BSC was strong in that one, had to get out !"
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Northeast GA
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin View Post
The new bridge is on U.S. 19 a little over twenty miles north of Beckley. The old bridge is on Fayette Station Road. If you stop at the visitors center which is on the right immediately after crossing the big bridge north bound, the road down the mountain into the gorge is right there.
My understanding is that the road to the old bridge is "one-way" starting on the Lansing side. Goes down the gorge, over the old bridge and up the other side to Fayetteville. Correct? Is this as much fun in real life as it appears on a map? Is the road in decent condition?
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Northeast GA
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Thurmond WV, abandoned rail town. Go in from the north on gravel raod.



There are 50 abandoned towns in the New River Gorge.
Wow...this is sounding like more than a one day ride.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Greater Cutler Ohio Metro Area
Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
My understanding is that the road to the old bridge is "one-way" starting on the Lansing side. Goes down the gorge, over the old bridge and up the other side to Fayetteville. Correct? Is this as much fun in real life as it appears on a map? Is the road in decent condition?
The road is in fine shape. Narrow with several switchbacks. Nice ride.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
travlin
Adventurer
 
travlin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southern WV.
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
Thurmond WV, abandoned rail town. Go in from the north on gravel raod.



There are 50 abandoned towns in the New River Gorge.
Then continue south along the river to Prince via Thayer. That is if your on a bike that likes dirt roads.
__________________
Ken Vreeke:
I ride because it's the ultimate therapy for the human condition. Plus, I like to go fast.
travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014