Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Ok how the hell are you supposed to be on time with them as your support team
BAZZER450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #153
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
When there's a decent internet connection (which might be any, all, or none of the days, depending on the luck of the desert) I'm going to attempt to stream some video out. Some of this will be live shots of each day's finish area since that's obviously where I am and where the internet connection is.

However, I would also like to collect some helmet cam footage or in-car footage from each day and mix that in. I want to do a little testing of video formats before I get down there, just to be sure. So, if you have something that's not a gopro, could you take a 10 second sample video and email to anders8 //at// gmail.com? Don't take a video that you have and edit it down, because then I'm only really checking what your editor spits out. Just send me 10 seconds of your bird feeder or something.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #154
az45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Anders, I’d like to start off by saying you are doing an amazing job. I would also like to ask how you seem to manage to be getting younger and better looking with age?
(never piss off the timing and scoring guys)

That said and with all due respect, your explanations are not always as clear to people with less than 10 years rally experience as you think. The rules are written for a 202 class, the racers who have never done a rally event need it written for a 101 class.

I asked you a direct question with an example and you gave two answers in the same sentence. After being clueless in 2011 after your long explanation on how timing worked at the drivers meeting. As I recall Mark McMillin stood up and tried to re-explain the basics. In 2012 I managed to get it figured out and not get any penalties because of my ignorance, but one for a late car repair.

You refer to a “card”, but unless something has changed, there is no card. The “card’ is the timing sticker on the hood in my case. Do bikes have actual cards? In a car, you can’t see the timing sticker on the hood, so I use a stopwatch. Can I get a card and have the control workers write my times on it? Getting in and out of a car is obviously more difficult then getting off of a bike.

Also staging for your start time seems to be a little confusing because when you show up in a car it’s a bit of a C-F with no one really checking you in. As long as you’re visible when you are pointed in line, you seem to be fine. Is that different this year? Your explanation of this to Baja Dad is not real clear. “Maybe. Maybe more, or a lot more, or maybe nothing. 10.1 doesn't guarantee penalties.”

As far as start order, it seems a little ambiguous. I’ll assume there is a change because 9.5 is in red. So if I get a flat tire that adds 10 minutes to my time I can do some paperwork that will move me up in the start order? I can show up with my race resume and it may move me ahead in the start order(or back!)? Where do I get the paperwork to fill out to protest my start position and will it be reviewed within the 3 hours of published starts? If I dumb this down for the lazy car racers, is it the fastest time starts first unless there’s someone that says they are faster or they got stuck? Why not go off of the OA race position so you know where you stand in the race?

Last year if you recall the car that was being scored about an hour behind me until day 4 started in front of me on Loreto. Should that have been a clue that there was a timing problem with that car? Should a car/bike that is shown on the posted time sheets that is an hour behind ever start in front of you? This leads me to believe that you are looking at a different time sheet than posted?

10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes

Doesn’t a NORRA official line you up? If so, how is it possible to start out of sequence?

I’m not a rally guy and I’m a bit of a left brainer, but I’ve managed to get through life be reading directions and listening. I’m going to tell you again, “with all due respect” , that your explanations are not real clear to non-rally folk. If everything you are trying to explain is SOP in other rallies, you should remember that the car guys are not going to automatically understand it.

I’m not a whiner or a complainer, as you should know by what happened at the end of the race last year that affected the outcome based on timing mistakes. I don’t really like all of the extra rules to have to worry about, but I can play the game if I understand the rules. My concern s that new racers/ralliers are going to get scared off before they ever get a chance to experience NORRA.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #155
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by az45 View Post
Anders, I’d like to start off by saying you are doing an amazing job. I would also like to ask how you seem to manage to be getting younger and better looking with age?
(never piss off the timing and scoring guys)

That said and with all due respect, your explanations are not always as clear to people with less than 10 years rally experience as you think. The rules are written for a 202 class, the racers who have never done a rally event need it written for a 101 class.

I asked you a direct question with an example and you gave two answers in the same sentence. After being clueless in 2011 after your long explanation on how timing worked at the drivers meeting. As I recall Mark McMillin stood up and tried to re-explain the basics. In 2012 I managed to get it figured out and not get any penalties because of my ignorance, but one for a late car repair.

You refer to a “card”, but unless something has changed, there is no card. The “card’ is the timing sticker on the hood in my case. Do bikes have actual cards? In a car, you can’t see the timing sticker on the hood, so I use a stopwatch. Can I get a card and have the control workers write my times on it? Getting in and out of a car is obviously more difficult then getting off of a bike.

Also staging for your start time seems to be a little confusing because when you show up in a car it’s a bit of a C-F with no one really checking you in. As long as you’re visible when you are pointed in line, you seem to be fine. Is that different this year? Your explanation of this to Baja Dad is not real clear. “Maybe. Maybe more, or a lot more, or maybe nothing. 10.1 doesn't guarantee penalties.”

As far as start order, it seems a little ambiguous. I’ll assume there is a change because 9.5 is in red. So if I get a flat tire that adds 10 minutes to my time I can do some paperwork that will move me up in the start order? I can show up with my race resume and it may move me ahead in the start order(or back!)? Where do I get the paperwork to fill out to protest my start position and will it be reviewed within the 3 hours of published starts? If I dumb this down for the lazy car racers, is it the fastest time starts first unless there’s someone that says they are faster or they got stuck? Why not go off of the OA race position so you know where you stand in the race?

Last year if you recall the car that was being scored about an hour behind me until day 4 started in front of me on Loreto. Should that have been a clue that there was a timing problem with that car? Should a car/bike that is shown on the posted time sheets that is an hour behind ever start in front of you? This leads me to believe that you are looking at a different time sheet than posted?

10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes

Doesn’t a NORRA official line you up? If so, how is it possible to start out of sequence?

I’m not a rally guy and I’m a bit of a left brainer, but I’ve managed to get through life be reading directions and listening. I’m going to tell you again, “with all due respect” , that your explanations are not real clear to non-rally folk. If everything you are trying to explain is SOP in other rallies, you should remember that the car guys are not going to automatically understand it.

I’m not a whiner or a complainer, as you should know by what happened at the end of the race last year that affected the outcome based on timing mistakes. I don’t really like all of the extra rules to have to worry about, but I can play the game if I understand the rules. My concern s that new racers/ralliers are going to get scared off before they ever get a chance to experience NORRA.

Yes the Bikes have both a Sticker on the bike and a Card

Last year at the Morning ( first start of the Day ) stage.
Some Riders would just show up when they wanted to.
NOT at THERE POSTED START time ( No Penalty was given????)
IMO :
The racers should pick a starting number out of a hat at sign ups for the First day.
Then the next three days should all be done off the Time sheet.

off for a ride !!!! see ya later.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #156
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Talking

Quote:
I would also like to ask how you seem to manage to be getting younger and better looking with age?
It's impressive, right? I use this cream from China!

Quote:
The rules are written for a 202 class, the racers who have never done a rally event need it written for a 101 class.
Unfortunately, the rules can't be written for a 101 class. That would be like trying to craft laws, or write an engineering manual, using only words with five or fewer letters. And actually, the 101 class wouldn't cover timing, because one can't understand the timing without knowing other fundamentals of the sport. Actually, for the other rally group I work with, I wrote a whole series of "courses", and timing doesn't show up till the 300 level.

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/Rally-University

Quote:
I asked you a direct question with an example and you gave two answers in the same sentence.
Double your money's worth!

Quote:
After being clueless in 2011 after your long explanation on how timing worked at the drivers meeting. As I recall Mark McMillin stood up and tried to re-explain the basics. In 2012 I managed to get it figured out and not get any penalties because of my ignorance, but one for a late car repair.
I wasn't there in 2011, and I've never even been on stage at the driver's meeting, so I think you might have me confused with someone else.

Quote:
You refer to a “card”, but unless something has changed, there is no card.
Nothing has changed. There absolutely is a card. The card is in your road book.

Quote:
The “card’ is the timing sticker on the hood in my case.
No, the card is a card in your case. The first backup is the sticker on the hood. The second backup is the digital picture of the sticker. The third backup is the paper log kept by the volunteers.

Quote:
Do bikes have actual cards?
Yes.

Quote:
In a car, you can’t see the timing sticker on the hood, so I use a stopwatch.
I'd recommend using a watch instead of a stopwatch, and referencing the card.

Quote:
Can I get a card
You can't NOT get a card.

Quote:
and have the control workers write my times on it?
Yes, they'll write on it.

Quote:
Also staging for your start time seems to be a little confusing because when you show up in a car it’s a bit of a C-F with no one really checking you in. As long as you’re visible when you are pointed in line, you seem to be fine.
One shouldn't expect to be (and see, here's where the particular terminology used for this rally, and the alternate meaning it has here in this conversation, become a problem.) "checked in" (and in this sense I'm using the phrase as you intended it in your paragraph but NOT in the sense of the rules). There is no "check in" time control, so there is no "checking in". Most other rallies have an additional time control that tracks only arrival (so now I'm talking about two timing controls for the start, instead of one like NORRA is using) and at those rallies this serves as both the "check in" and the check in. (One in the rules sense and one in the sense that you mean.)

Quote:
Is that different this year?
I expect the operation of the start controls to be very similar to what they were before.

Quote:
Your explanation of this to Baja Dad is not real clear. “Maybe. Maybe more, or a lot more, or maybe nothing. 10.1 doesn't guarantee penalties.”
The question posed by Baja Dada was taking one particular situation and then asking if the most generalized penalty rule in the book, the singe rule whose entire design is to allow the organization to handle unforeseen surprise circumstances, the rule that exists as a safety valve and fall back, and asking if that rule applied to the core of the timing penalties, an area where I have never seen this penalty applied. That does not mean that it couldn't be applied there. So the correct answer to the question, as you saw, is exactly that, unclear. Everything would depend on the situation. It's like asking "Can you get the death penalty for 1 MPH over the speed limit?"

Quote:
As far as start order, it seems a little ambiguous.
What's the 'it' in this case? There are two start order methods discussed in the rules, one for the start of the rally, one for all the days following that.

Quote:
So if I get a flat tire that adds 10 minutes to my time I can do some paperwork that will move me up in the start order?
You can always submit an inquiry and request a move. It may or may not be granted by the Race Director (which isn't me). For this particular example, I would expect that it would not.

Quote:
I can show up with my race resume and it may move me ahead in the start order(or back!)?
No, your race resume is not considered for the start of the rally (which is the only place it would make sense) it's strictly by class, then by the time you signed up.

Quote:
Where do I get the paperwork to fill out to protest my start position
I usually have some inquiry forms with me.

Quote:
and will it be reviewed within the 3 hours of published starts?
You mean if there is a start at 9am and you submit something between 6am and 8:59am? There would not be time to do that. Like, literally, the computers and printers could already be flying off to the next city.

Quote:
If I dumb this down for the lazy car racers, is it the fastest time starts first
The short, but unhelpful, but still correct, answer to this question is no. This particular question cannot be answered in a dumbed down way as it involves statistics and math.

Quote:
Why not go off of the OA race position
Because the goal of the start order, in general is to make for the safest and best racing conditions for each racer, not to provide a scoreboard.

Quote:
so you know where you stand in the race?
You know where you stand by reviewing the results that are printed out.

Quote:
Should a car/bike that is shown on the posted time sheets that is an hour behind ever start in front of you?
Yes.

Quote:
This leads me to believe that you are looking at a different time sheet than posted?
See 9.5. It's the speeds, not the times, that are used.

Quote:
Doesn’t a NORRA official line you up?
Generally, yes.

Quote:
If so, how is it possible to start out of sequence?
If you sleep in, and were supposed to start 10th on the road, and get there when everybody except the last car is gone... yes, you will be waved up to the start by an official, but you are completely out of sequence. You'd be 120th when you were supposed to be 10th.

Quote:
I’m not a rally guy and I’m a bit of a left brainer, but I’ve managed to get through life be reading directions and listening. I’m going to tell you again, “with all due respect” , that your explanations are not real clear to non-rally folk.
Is this like the part that's in the Geneva Convention? *grin*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA

The difficult part is, and this is really the bottom line, is that rally is complicated. The whole structure of the event has complexities that are inherent to the nature of this type of racing and the political, legal, and racing realities that we operate in. There's no way to take that out. Ok, well, you can take all the complexities out... but you end up with this:

Quote:
If everything you are trying to explain is SOP in other rallies, you should remember that the car guys are not going to automatically understand it.
Actually, in my usual world, it's the car guys who know everything about rally and the bike guys who are the newbs. I usually teach a class on these topics that takes about 2.5 hours, and we have those guys take that class three times.

Holy crap that's a long post!

Anyway, after all that typing, you owe me a beer. Come over to the Rally Clinic on Saturday before the driver's meeting to deliver, and we'll talk about all this stuff some more.

Anders
Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #157
az45
Adventurer

I may buy you a beer, but I'm not qualified to talk rally with you impaired!

It may take awhile to make me a believer in this format, but I'm hoping you can do it. Until then, you may have to have to put up with my remedial questions.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #158
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
That said and with all due respect, your explanations are not always as clear to people with less than 10 years rally experience as you think.
Damn, I'm glad I never post anything controversial. And if I do, the solution is always Duct Tape!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #159
az45
Adventurer

So the "card" is loose in the road book? At the end of each stage, they ask for the road book, pull the card and write a time on it that corresponds with the sticker? On the last stage of the rally, they pull the time card and keep it?

I've never seen the card or noticed it being pulled and written on in 2000 NORRA miles. If that's the case, I guess the fact that I don't pay attention is getting fairly obvious.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #160
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Bound in. Here's a pic from last years book. You're supposed to tear it out each morning and then keep it with you to present to the timers, then hand it in at the end of the day.

This year there is a new penalty (10.4.1.3) for showing up at the end of the day without this piece of paper : minimum 60 minute penalty.

Anders
Old 04-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #161
az45
Adventurer

Never done that, never been penalized for it, never seen that page! I have to assume they were filling it in at pulling it out at the end of the day.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #162
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Fuel Order form:

http://www.norra.com/PDFs/Norra_RA_2013_04_06.pdf

This is for pick up at Contingency. You only have a few days left to get this form submitted!

Anders
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #163
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
what new ??
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #164
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
what new ??

Here is an example of the new streamlined time cards I've been working on. Please note that this card has made up data on parts of it, nothing about the times/distances are official.

Anders

Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #165
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
When there's a decent internet connection (which might be any, all, or none of the days, depending on the luck of the desert) I'm going to attempt to stream some video out. Some of this will be live shots of each day's finish area since that's obviously where I am and where the internet connection is.

However, I would also like to collect some helmet cam footage or in-car footage from each day and mix that in. I want to do a little testing of video formats before I get down there, just to be sure. So, if you have something that's not a gopro, could you take a 10 second sample video and email to anders8 //at// gmail.com? Don't take a video that you have and edit it down, because then I'm only really checking what your editor spits out. Just send me 10 seconds of your bird feeder or something.

Thanks!
Does that mean during the race you do not want any GoPro footage?
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote