ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #7441
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
In my cage I've been playing with these options, and it seems to me that when navigating a Track (e.g. GoTo->Track), the "trip computer" calculations (like distance (or time) to destination) work quite differently than when navigating a Route.

This is not a complaint but just asking for confirmation or suggestions, but what I've seen for example are things like:

When navigating a Track:
- The "Time to Destination" starts to increase quickly when you stop for awhile, different than a Route does.
- If you get off of the Track then the "Distance to Destination" can do all kinds of crazy things and give pretty large numbers (kind of gets lost as it is not trying to calculate any new route).

Seems ok just not as clean as Routes in this regard. Point is I wonder if it still is not best to just do both: View a Track, and Navigate a Route at the same time... The Track is to be trusted and the Route is to just give you the best Trip data (just ignore the announced turns, etc).

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #7442
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Just saw this update myself...I don't think I've ever seen a Garmin Dev Team respond that fast.

Changes from version 4.80 to version 4.90:
  • Fixed issue with a data field in nuvi mode while navigating with the device in landscape orientation.
  • Fixed issue with overlapping text when reviewing certain geocaches.

Cheers,
Ha! Thanks for the heads up!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #7443
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
WTB Montana 600

Probably a longshot, but anyone with a Montana 600 they'd be willing to sell? My 60csx broke and I am having a hard time swinging a brand new Montana........

Thanks!
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #7444
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Probably a longshot, but anyone with a Montana 600 they'd be willing to sell? My 60csx broke and I am having a hard time swinging a brand new Montana........

Thanks!
Post a WTB ad in the Flea Market.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #7445
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:

Thanks!
You can get refurbed 600's for $399...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #7446
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
You can get refurbed 600's for $399...
Ya I saw a few on ebay, but that is only about $60 or so from a new one. I am not sure if it would just be worth it to get a new one or gamble with a refeb with not a lot of price difference??
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #7447
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
When Navigating a Track the "Distance" data is the actual Track path distance from your current location on the path - NOT line-of-sight distance. The same holds true for Route "Distance".

This is why I don't navigate Direct Route's on the Montana since the "Dist to Dest" would be calculated from a path made up of long straight lines.
But, doesn't Garmin calculate a track's distance by adding up the line-of-sight distance from each track point to the next track point? In essence, isn't a track distance calculation exactly the same as a direct route calculation except that a track usually has many more points defining it than a direct route and is made up of many short straight lines?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 10:04 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #7448
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
But, doesn't Garmin calculate a track's distance by adding up the line-of-sight distance from each track point to the next track point? In essence, isn't a track distance calculation exactly the same as a direct route calculation except that a track usually has many more points defining it than a direct route and is made up of many short straight lines?
Exactly. As many as 10,000 straight lines per track :)

As always, more track points = better accuracy.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #7449
FatChance
Road Captain

When you get down to it, is there really any difference between a track and a direct route other than the number of points supported?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #7450
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ya I saw a few on ebay, but that is only about $60 or so from a new one. I am not sure if it would just be worth it to get a new one or gamble with a refeb with not a lot of price difference??

The refurbs are pretty much like-new units that Garmin builds up from returns. The exteriors are always new parts and all the sub-components are fully tested and if the sub-component fails tests, they are replaced (not repaired). They are arguably better tested than new units and have the same warranty from Garmin. Heck the sub components that are reused have got time on them so they're past the infant mortality stage. These are what you get when you send a unit to Garmin for repair - they don't send you back the unit you send them.

I'm not sure where you are finding them new for just $60 more, seems like they are $499 pretty much everywhere. $60 is pretty close so I'd be more on the fence than $100 I suppose.

I buy both refurbs and new units and it depends on a lot of factors for me. I've bought more than a couple refurbed Garmins and also plenty of new ones and my track record is spotless with the refurbs. I've had a few new units that have been replaced under warranty or sent for repair although they were much older models and I've bought more new ones than refurbs. YMMV...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #7451
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
The refurbs are pretty much like-new units that Garmin builds up from returns. The exteriors are always new parts and all the sub-components are fully tested and if the sub-component fails tests, they are replaced (not repaired). They are arguably better tested than new units and have the same warranty from Garmin.

I buy both refurbs and new units and it depends on a lot of factors for me. I've bought more than a couple refurbed Garmins and also plenty of new ones and my track record is spotless with the refurbs. I've had a few new units that have been replaced under warranty or sent for repair although they were much older models and I've bought more new ones than refurbs. YMMV...
Yes!

My refurbs always last longer than the NIB units :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #7452
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
When you get down to it, is there really any difference between a track and a direct route other than the number of points supported?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
The biggest difference with navigation is prolly that you get waypoints in the route and the track is just start point and endpoint although if the waypoints from the route are in the unit than that difference sort of evaporates.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #7453
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Yes!

My refurbs always last longer than the NIB units :)

I can say that I've gotten more hrs/$ with the refurbs....
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #7454
FatChance
Road Captain

Quote:
The biggest difference with navigation is prolly that you get waypoints in the route and the track is just start point and endpoint although if the waypoints from the route are in the unit than that difference sort of evaporates.
You say that a "track is just start point and endpoint". A track with just a start and end point is a straight line from the start to the end point. If there are more than two points in a track, they are all the same type of points.

It seems that the only effective difference between a track and direct route is that the track is just a series of track points and a direct route is just a series of way points (and maybe via points). Both are just straight lines connecting one point to the next (with more points supported in tracks than direct routes), distance measurements are calculated the same way for both and you can convert on to the other.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #7455
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
You say that a "track is just start point and endpoint". A track with just a start and end point is a straight line from the start to the end point. If there are more than two points in a track, they are all the same type of points.

It seems that the only effective difference between a track and direct route is that the track is just a series of track points and a direct route is just a series of way points (and maybe via points). Both are just straight lines connecting one point to the next (with more points supported in tracks than direct routes), distance measurements are calculated the same way for both and you can convert on to the other.
You're correct in that both a Track and a Direct Route can accomplish the same thing. The difference is that with a Track there is (as has been noted previously) a 10,000 point limit vs a 250 point limit for DR's. If resolution of the path is an issue, you know, so you don't miss that critical uphill or downhill "Y" intersection, a Track would be my choice since when navigating I'm going to see changes in elevation as "waypoints" along the path. So, if I need to be going "up-hill" at the "Y" I should see an up-arrow waypoint on the path. You are correct in that the distance from point to point is calculated the same between a Track and DR. Oh, and don't forget, you can have Waypoints along a Track and they will be included in calculations when Navigating (GO) such as Dist-to-Next and the Navigation List as long as they are within 50meters of the Track path.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote