Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #706
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
if they have a better season... does this change?
Quote:
Wolff hints Lowe is Brawn's 'successor'

After three years of poor results, Mercedes seem to be in the process of replacing team principal Ross Brawn
Friday, April 12, 2013

On the way out? Ross Brawn might not be smiling when Paddy Lowe arrives at Mercedes (Daimler AG)

April 12th, 2013 (GMM) - Toto Wolff, Mercedes' new director and shareholder, has given the strongest indication yet that Paddy Lowe will soon arrive at the team.
Briton Lowe is currently on 'gardening leave' after serving as McLaren's long-term technical boss, but it has been rumoured he has accepted a more responsible role at Mercedes.
It is believed Lowe will eventually replace Brackley based Mercedes' existing team boss, Ross Brawn.
"Based on last year's results, Niki (Lauda) asked Paddy if he wanted to work for us," Austrian Wolff told the German newspaper Die Welt on Saturday.
"Ross responded totally professionally and said 'For three years I have not brought the results that were expected. Therefore it is clear that you would look around for a successor'," added Wolff.
But while Lowe has already been removed from front-line duty by McLaren, Brawn - still one of the most respected engineering and management minds in F1 - remains at the helm despite his apparently impending departure.
Wolff responded: "This is a very professional environment, with contracts containing confidentiality clauses.
"I do not believe that men of the calibre of Ross Brawn or Paddy Lowe go to their next team and just tell everything to the competition.
"I don't think we need to worry about that," he added.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #707
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
probably one or two here that would disagree.....

Quote:
Had enough of Sebastian Vettel's success?

The German has won three championships consecutively, but his latest actions on and off the track have earned him new detractors.
Friday, April 12, 2013

By Paul Godley

Vettel after winning the Malaysian GP (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)

April 12th, 2013 (F1plus/P. Godley).- Sebastian Vettel. Say and think what you will about him, there can be no denying one thing; the boy is one heck of a driver. You don't have to be his biggest admirer nor do you have to even be a fan of the 25-year-old German to realise what a supreme talent Sebastian is. Youngest World Champion, youngest double World Champion, youngest triple World Champion; the list of accolades and achievements at his age is nothing short of remarkable. But - and this may appear a little odd to begin with - has his awesome success, particularly since 2010, paved the way for what we're currently witnessing before our eyes at Red Bull Racing?
In fact, scrap that.
Has the success of Sebastian Vettel been to the detriment of not just relationships within the RBR squad, but the chances of younger drivers further down the Red Bull pecking order, even those beyond junior outfit Toro Rosso? Red Bull has, within Sebastian Vettel, seemingly produced the perfect Formula 1 machine. Much like previous greats of the sport (Senna, Prost, Schumacher et al), Vettel has that ruthless streak. That spark that makes him want to win. That little noise in the back of his mind that makes him have to win. Formula 1 is about winning.
You can throw all the classic, iconic quotes at it all you want; at the end of the day this is an arena of and for winners. Win at all costs? Not necessarily. But if there's just a sniff of a victory, a chance of climbing on the top step of a Formula 1 podium, a glimmer of hope that you score 25 points instead of 18; who are we to judge if a driver, one of the best on the planet, wants to win?
Here's my two bob's worth on the events at Malaysia. Sebastian Vettel won; Mark Webber finished second. It may not have been a moral victory, but it was a race victory; a Grand Prix victory at that. He won't have gained too many admirers following his actions in Sepang; but will, or should, he care?
The other day I picked up a copy of the excellent GP International magazine. An intriguing piece on the phenomenon that is Kimi Raikkonen dominates the front cover; but an interview with Helmut Marko entitled "Up close with Dr. Evil" had the corner of my eye hooked (not literally, ouch).
Here Marko discusses Mr. Vettel with David Tremayne:
"First of all for his age he is unbelievable all round. Normally this knowledge you have when you are ten years older. So that's to start with. Then he goes into each detail, and he never gives up. He looks what was on the car and what was happening in the pits. He sees the overall picture and he prepares mentally. He hardly reads any comment in the press, because he knows what he has and what he has to deliver."
The perfect Formula 1 driver? Perfect is a tricky word; a tricky phrase. Perfection. Something we all strive for but will we ever achieve such a state? What makes the perfect Formula 1 driver? That desire to win. Ruthlessness. Speed. Bravery. Commitment. A natural talent. All contributing factors, and something that all drivers share; to differing levels. In Sebastian Vettel Red Bull have made that driver, that winning machine that the Red Bull Junior Programme set about to do. But now they've found, made and developed it; what does the future hold?
We've seen a number of fellow hopefuls arrive and subsequently leave the Formula 1 paddock, desperate to become that driver. Klien, Liuzzi and Speed prior to Vettel; Buemi and Alguersuari post Vettel. The yardstick has been set. But is the yardstick the actual problem? You may think I'm bonkers, spouting rubbish left, right and centre. After all, this is a team that have won three consecutive Drivers and Constructors Championships for heaven sakes. But, and it's a big but, there are cracks appearing. They started small. They started a few years back. They've grown. We're now in 2013 and the cracks are big, very big.
Success can often not only bring with it more success, but more demand for success. Look at any sport. Look at any business. The more successful you are, the more that becomes expected of you and the more you expect of yourself. This is a team sport; and within a team you have two drivers. Two drivers that both would love to win. Two drivers that would do anything to win. Yes? There's no 'I' in team, but there is one in machine. Apologies, that's dreadful. But it works. You breed and nurture a machine to win; in this case a Red Bull machine. He's programmed to win. He wants to win. He does win. The team should and will always come first; but when you have a driver such as Vettel who is all about winning, you'd be silly to let that talent (that talent you'd developed) leave. A driver like Vettel makes a team like Red Bull successful. They both need each other; for the moment at least.

Vettel signing autographs for the fans in Shanghai (Getty)

I guess in a way highlights the problems at Red Bull. You have two drivers from very different racing backgrounds. One driver that came through the team's own junior programme and one that very much didn't. They may both want to win; but it's how they go about achieving that aim that sets these two apart. How would another driver from the programme fare against Vettel? Will one even be given the chance? As mentioned earlier in the piece, we've seen many drivers come and go that were touted for greatness.
A lot was expected of current duo Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne, but have they delivered? Have they been given the chance to deliver? The car is certainly not as competitive as the one Sebastian himself enjoyed whilst at Toro Rosso, but can just the car itself be blamed for the performances of the aforementioned pair? Many felt it was harsh to oust both Buemi and Alguersuari beforehand, and having arguably not shown as much as those two, could we see the Formula 1 careers of two more Red Bull juniors end this year? Neither has stood from the other; and with plenty of other juniors waiting in the wings, what chance do they stand?
There are a lot of grumblings about Antonio Felx da Costa at the moment, the man who would appear next in line to be given a chance at Toro Rosso. Whilst I fully believe he is a very, very good prospect; it's not the first time we've been here and heard those kind of claims. The same was said of Buemi, of Alguersuari, of Vergne and of Ricciardo. Two have gone, could two more follow before they're given a serious chance? Formula 1 is ruthless, a word I seem to return to often, and if you don't take your chances you're out. Simple. Red Bull are here to produce race winning and Championship winning drivers for their team. They're a business. They do what's best for business. You and I may always like or agree with it, but at the end of the day it's their decision.
Could two Sebastian Vettel's work alongside each other in the same team? Unfortunately we can't definitively answer that as we've not seen such a situation arise yet. Is the current situation working? Would it work with Kimi Raikkonen there? Lewis Hamilton? We just don't know. We can speculate and imagine of course, as we all love to do. But based on the evidence of not just this season, but of the past few seasons, Red Bull have a real dilemma on their hands. Where to go next?

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #708
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
probably one or two here that would disagree.....
Great article !

Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #709
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post
In that pairing Vettel would be #1 and Alonso#2... It is Alonso who is not the team player, remember when he was asked to share with Lewis...

Alonso is a world class driver and an even bigger prick, ask the guys a Renault and McLaren.
The trouble with the Hamilton-v-Alonso spat at McLaren is that we've not heard the full story (yet). Much of what came out of that is what McLaren let us have and given that they wanted to hang on to Hamilton, they (understandably) inferred that Alonso was the most guilty party.

I've never heard anything bad from Renault about Alonso. I'd be interested in anything you have about his two times with them.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #710
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
The trouble with the Hamilton-v-Alonso spat at McLaren is that we've not heard the full story (yet). Much of what came out of that is what McLaren let us have and given that they wanted to hang on to Hamilton, they (understandably) inferred that Alonso was the most guilty party.

I've never heard anything bad from Renault about Alonso. I'd be interested in anything you have about his two times with them.
You could be right, but I don't think we'll get anything new from McLaren now. I think if they wanted to say anything else on the matter they would have done so when Hamilton jumped ship.

I remember hearing or reading something about Alonso screwing over someone at Renault after the incident at Singapour when Piquet jr "hit the wall". If I'm not mistaken Favilo took the heat as team principal and his agent to get him over to Ferrari. I know this is vague but it's all I can remember!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #711
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
You could be right, but I don't think we'll get anything new from McLaren now. I think if they wanted to say anything else on the matter they would have done so when Hamilton jumped ship.
I don't suppose we will get much from any source until the protagonists are writing their memoirs. It will be interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl
I remember hearing or reading something about Alonso screwing over someone at Renault after the incident at Singapour when Piquet jr "hit the wall". If I'm not mistaken Favilo took the heat as team principal and his agent to get him over to Ferrari. I know this is vague but it's all I can remember!
There's a persistent rumour that Alonso did know about the planned crash in advance but nothing more than that (at present). Everything I read about Alonso's time(s) at Renault suggest that they liked him even if they couldn't get him to provide the feedback about the car that his team-mates did. Their liking may have something to do with the two championships he delivered for them despite the car not being very good and at a time when Ferrari were so dominant.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #712
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
I don't suppose we will get much from any source until the protagonists are writing their memoirs. It will be interesting nonetheless.

There's a persistent rumour that Alonso did know about the planned crash in advance but nothing more than that (at present). Everything I read about Alonso's time(s) at Renault suggest that they liked him even if they couldn't get him to provide the feedback about the car that his team-mates did. Their liking may have something to do with the two championships he delivered for them despite the car not being very good and at a time when Ferrari were so dominant.
I believe that rumour and believe that Falvio saved Fernado's carrear by taking the heat. I aslo think thier liking had a lot to do with Falvio and Fernado being best buds along with the professional relationship. If I'm not mistaken Fernado was Falvio's best man.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #713
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,214
Quote:
I believe that rumour and believe that Falvio saved Fernado's carrear by taking the heat. I aslo think thier liking had a lot to do with Falvio and Fernado being best buds along with the professional relationship. If I'm not mistaken Fernado was Falvio's best man.

I don't see how Alonso could have ever been held responsible for that.
He wasn't driving Piquet's car, and he's not the team boss.
Flavio taking the media and regulatory heat is only proper, he was the boss.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #714
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
if they have a better season... does this change?
I think probably not. For one thing, I wonder how much longer Brawn wants to do this? For another, the snake Lauda. And for a third, these manufacturer teams are like massive ships under way; they change direction slowly and with the greatest of reluctance.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #715
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I don't see how Alonso could have ever been held responsible for that.
He wasn't driving Piquet's car, and he's not the team boss.
Flavio taking the media and regulatory heat is only proper, he was the boss.
There's no doubt in my mind that the plan was either hatched by or nurtured by Flavio Briatore. I believe Alonso probably knew about it. But the whole world hates a fink, so even if he was inclined to rat them out (and obviously, I don't think he was) he wouldn't have.

I don't like Alonso, but it's way off the mark to claim that Flavio fell on his sword to help him.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #716
wxwax
Excited Member

The NBC kids gave the best explanation for why Brawn was low on fuel in Malaysia. Brawn expected a wetter race = lower revs = less fuel consumption.

When the track dried out quickly, the cars used more gas than they'd fueled for. So they had to dial it down to make the distance.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #717
wxwax
Excited Member

Alonso thinks the tires make qualifying well less important.
Quote:
The Spanish driver also undermined the importance of qualifying, claiming that the unpredictable Pirelli tires made a good starting position less important.

There were years when it was vital to start from the first row or from pole position, but since Pirelli arrived qualifying has become less and less important.

In the first two races of the season Kimi [Raikkonen] won pretty easily in Australia starting from seventh and anyone could have won in Malaysia. But there is a tendency for qualifying to become less important.
I don't agree. You have to get a nose in front of Red Bull. Do that, and they're neutered.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #718
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,214
During practice they played more of the RedBull radio discussions.
Vettel sounded like he was crying when Webber gave him the squeeze.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #719
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I think probably not. For one thing, I wonder how much longer Brawn wants to do this? For another, the snake Lauda. And for a third, these manufacturer teams are like massive ships under way; they change direction slowly and with the greatest of reluctance.
+1

Niki Lauda is a special kind of nasty, it is not if he will back stab Brawn or any one else for that matter but when.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #720
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Alonso thinks the tires make qualifying well less important.

I don't agree. You have to get a nose in front of Red Bull. Do that, and they're neutered.
I have to agree with Alonso here. These tires are so shity they are ruining Pirelli's reputation. F1 is/was thought to be the pinicle of motorsports and yet they can't go more then x laps before they fall of a cilf. Kimi last year was a joke, lost like 10 spots in a few laps because of the tires falling off... That is silly!

When it is no longer about outright speed and more about saving tires, it's silly.

This is "Eco Friendly F1". It's ok, but not as much fun as the real F1 was. I miss all out speed, two tire supliers, refuling at every pit stop, 1 engine per race weekend. Better yet anyone remember qualifing engines...

I also miss original track layouts... Remember when eau rouge was a chalenge to the drivers and equipement. Everything had to be perfect to run through there flat. Since the change any Joe blow in a back grid car can go flat. That kind of takes the special out of it for me...

Anyways Wxwax, we'll see if your right cause a hole bunch of them got thier nose in front of the Red Bulls for the start of this one. It's a bold move to not even set a time. I hope it works out for either Seb or Jenson. It would help bring to light the stupidity of putting junkyard tires on the quickest cars in motor sports...