User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Gs Dry Suit

We got ours in early last week. A very nice suit. It is not Gore Tex and does not breathe as well. Waterproof without the liner which is a really nice feature. Material is a lot softer than the Rallye which improves comfort. For the hardcore rider the rallye suit is still the choice in the BMW clothing lineup, but the GSDry is a great option as well. Also available in ladies sizing which BMW has lacked in a GS style suit.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Funny that, I was actually in CC cycle last weekend and I had a peek at the gs dry.

The outer shell is very soft, and the wp membrane is a z-liner deal as they say. BUT, they have it arranged where the vents go directly through the z-liner to where your body is - if you have ever seen an olympia AST, it is kind of like that. It looks like BMW did a better job with the gussets/seam sealing, so it should perform a little better.

What they didn't mention in the press release is that there are these two giant fold out reflective patches that are hidden in the two vertical chest pockets. They look pretty comical, but I guess it'll work.

I'm not a big fan of the colorways though.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 653
ds

i bought the rally because you can always take the liner out when its hot.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
We got ours in early last week. A very nice suit. It is not Gore Tex and does not breathe as well. Waterproof without the liner which is a really nice feature. Material is a lot softer than the Rallye which improves comfort. For the hardcore rider the rallye suit is still the choice in the BMW clothing lineup, but the GSDry is a great option as well. Also available in ladies sizing which BMW has lacked in a GS style suit.

New one must be pretty soft - I think my RP3 is pretty soft to the touch...flexible and easy to wear. Since your the parts man, what makes the RP3 more hardcore? Just the features... beefy back protector, leather leg pieces? Maybe they market the RP3 to get coated in mud and roughed up more?

Still anxious to get my paws inside the GS Dry gloves. They look perfect for what I want.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
OK... I got my hands on it today. Nice stuff. It is considerably lighter weight than the Rallye. Like maybe 50% lighter. Part of that is the armor which is a lot more flexible but the material itself is clearly less dense.

The fit was nice as well and the 54 fit my frame nicely. The arm adjustments weren't as good as the Rallye. There are only two snap positions as opposed to infinite variability offered by the velcro straps on the Rallye.

There is no thermal liner. That means you will need something under it if the temps drop below 60. That also means the jacket needs to hang a bit loose so you can fit a fleece or something like that under it.

The waterproofing is a very thin liner that is sewn into the shell. It is so thin that you can almost see through it. I'm not sure how it breaths.

Venting isn't a priority with this suit. There are two vent zips in front, under the arms. I'm guessing BMW didn't want to risk leaks by having vented arms.

The pants really did impress me. Since there is no liner, it would be a lot easier to use them as overpants. My Rallye pants catch my work pants and are very hard to use as overpants. Styling of the pants was good and they include pockets and hip armor.

IN all, it was a nice suit. It looked and felt more like a touring suit than the Rallye suit. It is just not as rugged nor heavy but likely plenty for the use given by most GS riders.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the great review, cliffy! Thats more like it!!

Makes me even more happy about purchasing the rp3 on clearance. Might be a bit overkill, but a good choice in the long term I believe.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
sorry for the dumb question but does this suit go over one's normal riding jacket and pants or is in lieu of it?
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #23
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
sorry for the dumb question but does this suit go over one's normal riding jacket and pants or is in lieu of it?
It is meant to be worn alone.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
The GS Dry suit is just another option for a riding jacket and pants. They require no liner to be zipped in for it to be waterproof which is clearly and advantage. However, it is my guess that it will be a good bit hotter in the summer but that's a trade-off no matter what you do.

So in answer to your question, no, you do not use this suit over another riding jacket. It is a riding jacket.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
giganova
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I had the GS Dry Suit for about three weeks now and use it daily. The quality of the suit is outstanding. It's 100% waterproof in rain, the armor fits nicely, and I love it.

The only thing that bothers me is that when temp rise above 80 degrees, it can get very hot inside the jacket and pants because there are not many vents.

giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #26
modalsaliency
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I've had the jacket (and gloves) for a few days now. Women's version, embarrassingly, because it fit my narrow frame better and I liked the color scheme more anyway.

As mentioned it doesn't vent as well as could be hoped, but for a waterproof jacket without a removable liner that's par for the course. I'm actually really happy with it, even more so than the rallye suits I've seen.
modalsaliency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
kumakahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
GS Dry Suit Jacket

I just posted a review on ADV Rider of the GS Dry Jacket that i just bought. It comes up on a search for a review of GS Dry Suit Jacket. Honestly, I love it, and it has a wider temperature range than I expected. If you look, these can be had for much less than MSRP, and I think they are a good deal.
kumakahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post

What they didn't mention in the press release is that there are these two giant fold out reflective patches that are hidden in the two vertical chest pockets. They look pretty comical, but I guess it'll work.
These flaps were put in to comply with a proposed French law that was rejected only a couple of months before it was due to be introduced.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,055
My wife bought one..so far really likes it..probably has 1000 miles on it. Yes it's hot..not as much venting..but here in the Northwet..that's a problem, 25 days a year.

I love my old Rally 2..but the liner suituation makes it a no go where it rains all the time..the GS Dry wasn' out when I needed to get somethin after moving up here, I ended up buying an Aerostich Darien set up..it's nothing compared to the Dry..has already been sent back to fix 15 or so soholes worn thru the liner..it had about 8000 miles on it when it went back.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Anybody knows how this compares to the street guard 3 jacket/pants in terms of waterproofing and temperature range? I wear the SG3 today and in Singapore it gets quite warm but the waterproofing is FANTASTIC. Thinking of the GS Dry...how does it compare?
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote