ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #826
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
^^^^^ THAT is what HDR is for! Improving the details throughout a picture with off lighting. It is NOT making it look cartooney and overprocessed. I love seeing HDR being PROPERLY used! Great shot(s).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #827
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Here are two different sunsets from this week using Nik Software HDR Efex Pro 2.

These look fantastic. I'm assuming simulated HDR? Would u mind posting the original pics for comparison?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #828
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,951
Dorzok, Why would you assume "simulated HDR"? The camera is pointed directly into the sun, which would require any camera to bracket exposures to capture all of the dynamic range of light. These are 5 exposure brackets merged to real HDR in Nik HDR Efex Pro 2.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #829
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Here is one HDR with the 5 brackets (JPEG previews of the unprocessed RAW files)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #830
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Nik'it

I've been playing with the Nik software as well. Although no motorcycle, it does have HDR, and then Silver EFX PRO 2. The exposures where taken at the Dallas Arboretum during at the Chihuly exhibit in the fall.

TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #831
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

The term "Simulated HDR" I would only apply to a single image processed in a non HDR program to create a look similar to the look associated with HDR. Any time you use an HDR software program to create an HDR with tonemapping, exposure fusion etc, then it is not simulated (even if this is done with a single exposure).

I believe it was Geek that threw out the term "simulated HDR" and said most of the images in this thread are not true HDRs. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
While some here are simulating HDR with non-HDR software, I do not think that is the majority of the images here.
For you HDR simulators, If you like the HDR look, then get yourself some HDR software and learn to use it. It isn't hard.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 10:23 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #832
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dorzok, Why would you assume "simulated HDR"? The camera is pointed directly into the sun, which would require any camera to bracket exposures to capture all of the dynamic range of light. These are 5 exposure brackets merged to real HDR in Nik HDR Efex Pro 2.
simply because i know nothing of photography and all the software talk in the original post led me to surmise digital fancy pantsing. that's all.

thanks for post the brackets (?).

are all digital DSLRs capable of true HDR?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #833
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
are all digital DSLRs capable of true HDR?
Any camera that you can control the exposure some will work, including many point-n-shoots, but it helps to have a camera that shoots RAW files and auto-brackets. A wider range of auto-bracketing capability is better. Mine shoots up to 5 exposures 2 E/V apart automatically, which is usually enough to properly expose the sun and a dark canyon at the same time. My Olympus PEN shoots auto-brackets, but only 3 at 1 E/V apart, which doesn't help most scenes.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #834
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

time to brake out the user manual. now that i know what i'm looking for
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #835
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Any camera that you can control the exposure some will work, including many point-n-shoots, but it helps to have a camera that shoots RAW files and auto-brackets. A wider range of auto-bracketing capability is better. Mine shoots up to 5 exposures 2 E/V apart automatically, which is usually enough to properly expose the sun and a dark canyon at the same time. My Olympus PEN shoots auto-brackets, but only 3 at 1 E/V apart, which doesn't help most scenes.
What camera are you using that shoots the 5 exposures 2 E/V apart?

Do you use a tripod or mount to take these photos?

Awesome sunset photos BTW.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #836
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 760
Quote:

]
Love this, nice work Dave!

Do you find the Photomatix Pro to be that much better than Essentials? I'm thinking of upgrading... thanks for any opinions.
Merfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #837
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I realize this is can be a technical thread, but the great images are worth the view.

To all the posters with great photos!

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #838
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
What camera are you using that shoots the 5 exposures 2 E/V apart?

Do you use a tripod or mount to take these photos?

Awesome sunset photos BTW.

JG
Thanks JG. I use a Pentax K-5. I often shoot handheld brackets, but you must keep an eye on the shutter speed as the overexposed shots in the brackets often require a tripod. A tripod will prevent much cursing when you later you realize some of the shots are not sharp or the set won't align correctly. If you are using a camera without auto-bracketing in quick succession you will want a tripod to ensure alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
Love this, nice work Dave!

Do you find the Photomatix Pro to be that much better than Essentials? I'm thinking of upgrading... thanks for any opinions.
I've not used the HDR features of any Adobe product, but the reviews I've read always have Photomatix coming out on top and I really like it. There's an easy way to find out which program works better for the looks you are trying to achieve. Try them all out. Most (if not all) of the software companies allow you to download trial versions. It sounds like you may already have Essentials. I would suggest you try Photomatix Pro. When that trial runs out, try the Nik HDR Efex Pro 2. Buy all of them you can afford and think you will use. I only own Photomatix Pro now, but plan to also add HDR Efex Pro 2.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #839
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Thanks JG. I use a Pentax K-5. I often shoot handheld brackets, but you must keep an eye on the shutter speed as the overexposed shots in the brackets often require a tripod. A tripod will prevent much cursing when you later you realize some of the shots are not sharp or the set won't align correctly. If you are using a camera without auto-bracketing in quick succession you will want a tripod to ensure alignment.
Most high end HDR programs will automatically match features and align the images for you if you are shooting without a tripod. I know Photomatix does.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #840
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Cinema vs. Stills Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
I've been playing with the Nik software as well. Although no motorcycle, it does have HDR, and then Silver EFX PRO 2. The exposures where taken at the Dallas Arboretum during at the Chihuly exhibit in the fall.

Great photo TxLoneRider, but you are really trying to drive the internet photography community crazy, huh? If there is anything many armchair internet critics on photography forums love to hate on more than HDR, it's selective color. I'm not sure why. Why are the "rules" for still photography so different than for cinema? One of the greatest, and most highly acclaimed movies ever was shot in selective color in a very emotionally moving way. Can you name it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
^^^^^ THAT is what HDR is for! Improving the details throughout a picture with off lighting. It is NOT making it look cartooney and overprocessed. I love seeing HDR being PROPERLY used! Great shot(s).
Thanks for the nice compliment MiteyF. You threw out a couple adjectives that are often used describing HDRs. I'll bet if I posted the two images you commented on to a photography forum there would be many there that would disagree with you. I'm sure the critiques would include many adjectives, including; Over-processed, Over-saturated, Cartoonish, Not-realistic, Fake, etc... Many would prefer the same image in B&W. Even though I can appreciate a good B&W, since I am not color-blind I fail to see how it is more realistic than the color version.

Why do we line up to watch the latest blockbuster movie with all sorts of fake CGI effects in over-saturated colors and cartoonish digital tweaking, but then apply a different set of standards to what we prefer in still photography? Why do we insist that still photography somehow be closer to boring, drab reality? Why is it so many consider a photograph to be a documentation of reality versus a valid form of art?

Photography has never really been that good at documenting reality. I've decided to do whatever I think looks good and ignore the critics and I urge more here to do the same. They are your photographs. Screw with them in any manner you wish.

Here is another photographer I've discovered recently that uses HDR with incredible results.
You could easily describe her work as cartoonish. If that's so, I LOVE CARTOONS!
http://www.barbcochranphotography.com/

I feel better. Rant Off (For Now)