User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.14 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #361
headhunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Man it's great you caught that hole before bashing around in the hot desert for several days. That would have been hell.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #362
RLK

Oddometer: 6,179
Good thread!

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #363
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
The car will come together nicely, you have great people working on it.

Ko

You nailed it. The truth is, I only succeed at these crazy ideas because I have a knack for getting very good people involved and together, good things happen!

David is busy right now at his shop so he has been sneaking in time all day today and yesterday working on the race car. He just called me a few minutes ago, and the tank is in and he is finally calling it a night. I will be heading up tomorrow to help button the rest of the car up while he is busy rebuilding a real customer's motor.

Today, David had some fun with me and texted me saying he hoped the tank would not explode...and included a staged dramatic photo. First, he was going to weld the hole (don't worry, he's done this before and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express just to be safe):

Done:

He got a new fuel pump too...just cuz we were already in there. New and old:

Tank repaired, prepped and ready to go back in:

He says I'll be driving the car home tomorrow.......I'll keep you posted

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #364
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
Everythings looking great!!! Hope to see you soon!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #365
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

No photos right now, but the car is back together and back home

David and his protege Eric worked their asses off and today we all pitched in and the race car is ready to go!

In addition to the fuel system repairs...it is now sporting two new rear axles...so four new ones for the race!!

I put on the General Tire Grabber's in the rear and I like the way they look. I think I will run the toyos down to San Diego then slap on some new Grabber's for the race! GT is the main sponsor of the Mexican 1000 and I'd like to show a little love when I can...oh yeah...and the racer's discount is sure nice too!

It gets the proper alignment on Monday, then window nets this week, then Cory and I will prep the tools and spares and mount them in the car next weekend.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #366
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,903
Looks like things are coming together for you.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #367
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 653
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #368
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

Is that Robin Williams? Mork to Ork.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #369
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Is that Robin Williams? Mork to Ork.

ShazBot!

Here are some long overdue photos from last weekend showing some of the front CV axle replacement. Like OC said, we were working like a house afire that weekend, so the photos are kinda light. Below shows the the bad inner boot on the driver's side CV (green housing means it was most likely original) that prompted the R&R. Out with the old...

...a tappa tappa tappa with an extra long pin punch (thanks Dave!) to drive out the roll-pins on the inner transaxle stubs and...

... in with the new!

The Subie is running like grain through a goose! Dave built on heck of an engine!

TwinDuro screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 01:22 AM
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #370
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

The last few days have been very hectic.....and now I have 4 days left at work, then Cory and I leave for San Diego on Monday. So really only 7 days until we head south

Today was hugely productive and it seems the last minute push helped to motivate me and my crew. I got a proper 4 wheel alignment and they added a camber bolt to the left rear strut. I had already added one to the right. The tech said they got the rear perfect but the front was just a little more positive camber then spec, but still real close. Good enough for government work

I also got the wheels re balanced because they felt a little off. Well, the alignment and balance did wonders for the handling and as far as I am concerned, we are good to go in the suspension department. In fact, except for bolting up one of Ray's gas tank skid plates, we should be done under the car except for the final oil change in San Diego before we head to tech inspection on the 27th in Mexicali!

After the alignment I stopped by Ray's shop and he said he might get the window net buckle system welded up today. He also said he could maybe get to installing it later this week, but then remembered he had to leave town himself on Thursday. He told me he try his best to do it before he left because he would not be back until Sunday!

Needless to say, at this time in the game, I am pretty anxious about everything and pushing the window nets right up until the day we left was a little stressful, but I also knew we would have time in San Diego to fab them up there. That is why I am leaving so early to head south. We should arrive by wednesday and what better shake down than a 1200 mile jaunt down I-5

Luke will be driving the (Loud Al's) chase truck down towing his bike...and it will be a good shake down for the chase truck too. The extra day or two in San Diego will give us time to make repairs as needed following the journey south.

I left Ray's and headed over to Lonnie's. He was willing and able to finish up the graphics. So I washed the car and he got to work. He wanted to do some simple stuff but also let people know what the sponsors did ... actually it was just Ray, Tim and Lonnie that were not on the car yet (My buddy from the Interstate All Battery Center in Hillsboro and Beaverton was still trying to get me some stickers).

By NORRA rules we needed 4 inch numbers in front and 6 inch numbers in back. I wanted to incorporate the feel of our SL350 race bike that brought us to the finish line for the past two years, so Lonnie made up decals that are replicas of the bike's front number plate

Front:

Back:

Love for Ray:

Love for Tim:

More love for David:

I texted David that photo and he texted back that if the motor blows up during the race, quickly remove that sticker. I told him they were magnetic decals because I was already thinking ahead

And love for Lonnie, who decided to change his business name to a more appropriate one in honor of the M1K

Ray called and said he was ready to do the window net install.....so after Lonnie's, it was back to Ray's shop!

Ray came up with a system that I believe rivals, if not outshines the commercially available window net kits I have seen. I think we may end up making up more for sale at some point! Ray was able to use the rear seat belt components out of the Subaru, which I was hoping we could do.

The system will allow for easy removal by the occupants and by bystanders who may respond to help us out of the car in the case of an emergency. It's hard not to see the bright orange "Press" button and instinctually know what to do. The top bar is a quick release type which will then swing down and store out of the way when not being used. The bottom bar will be strapped to the door bar of the cage. It works so slick and it is stronger than it is required to be. Believe me, I know how lucky I am to have guys like David, Ray, Lonnie and Tim on the Outta Sight Payroll*

* Of course, the word "payroll" is used figuratively in this context

Ok...that's all for now. Still doing lots of logistics planning and ordering last minute things. It's going to be a nutty week!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #371
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

Awesome work, you've got a great group of sponsors/worker bees there.

Can someone tell me how Ray doesn't sunburn the hell out of his hands welding like this?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #372
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,719
I am getting excited for you. Wish I could check it out in person but that will have to wait for next year when you return to Baja to defend your class championship
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #373
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,118
Wow just finished reading thru your entire thread and love it. I've been stuck in my basement for 3 days on and off manning a wet/dry vac to keep my house from flooding and your story has kept me going thru some long dark nights. Thanks for that. Cant wait to see how it plays out.

I've been looking for a commuter car. A suby at that.. I really like where you are going with this car. Its got me thinking.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #374
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman View Post
Wow just finished reading thru your entire thread and love it. I've been stuck in my basement for 3 days on and off manning a wet/dry vac to keep my house from flooding and your story has kept me going thru some long dark nights. Thanks for that. Cant wait to see how it plays out.
Glad I could help, thanks for your kind comments.

Well, the time has come to pretty much get this dog and pony show on the road!

I have been finishing up a lot of the little things and spending a lot of time making sure the logistics for the trip are in order. There has been one major change in plans since David said he was going to go. I wanted to bring some more parts...a spare motor in fact...lol, so I was not going to have enough room in the Subaru to bring it. Allan said he had no room to spare in his rig (Luke's chase truck), so I am going to just tow the car down to San Diego on Ray's not so beautiful, but fully functional, trailer.

This will allow for me and Cory to ride down in comfort in the Sprinter and bring down a lot more spares. In San Diego, we will cull the parts a bit more and put what we want in our chase truck belonging to Ted "The Dude". The Dude is going to be basically my Bivouac support so it will be my job to get the car in every night so David and Ted can work on it if needed. It should also be noted that Ted will be towing a small fishing boat behind him as our return plan is to take a week and fish the whole way home!

For the last two years, we basically brought down a spare motorcycle in two bins for the Honda..and we didn't use much of anything other than some consumables. Its the old adage: "If you have it, you'll never need it." We will be driving the car from Ted's house to Mexicali. The trailer and Sprinter will stay in the states.

David is bringing parts down this morning for us to load in the van. Cory is coming down this afternoon and will be helping with the final push for the car to be race ready and then loaded up on the trailer!

First thing on Monday, we leave. The plan is to meet up with Luke on I-5 and caravan south. I had hoped to see some friends in the Santa Barbara area but now the plan is to get to the Dude's compound asap so Luke and I can finish up the little nagging things at Ted's well equipped shop. I will also be stopping at General Tire's headquarters to pick up some tires I was able to score with a racer's discount.

The plan is we will have two days to futz with the bike and car and then on Friday pick up our remaining team members at the airport including my beautiful navigator, my wife Laura. On Saturday morning, we cross the border in Mexicali and head to tech inspection!

Our Steeekers showed up and our Sponsor Tillamook Country Smoker came through again with some tasty treats to hand out to kids with our stickers!! This year we will be showing the children of Baja how to get their Redneck on through cans of Beef Jerky Chew! Thanks Bob and Dick from the Smoker!!

One of our great sponsors and OSR team member, Tim from Prevailing Communications, also finished up some wiring on the race car, including the siren/air horn and some additional 12v outlets for GPS and other electronics. He also brought out the mobile race radio for Luke's chase truck. Thanks Tim!!

Last night, while watching Sons of Anarchy, Laura and I donned our racing suits, helmets and neck support as part of our rigorous training regimen...of course the adult beverages were for scale only (although the two cup holders are fully functional in the Subaru).

I'll post up some pictures when I can. I'll also post a link to our spot page soon and you can follow along with us if you want.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #375
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,136
This is fantastic!
Now I want a Subaru.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: