Oddometer: 4,625
The canyon narrows to just a few feet in places

Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #1967
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finding a place to sleep at night is always easy
Finding the RIGHT place is hard!
I need to have a good vibe about the place otherwise I move on.
Last night I was looking for a place to stay about 2 hours north of Lima.
I stopped in one town along the beach and I didn't get a good vibe.
Just because the town is located along the coast doesn't mean it is tourist friendly. Sure there are hotels but none were along the coast.
I moved on to the next town and found one hotel that was right on the coast but it was 3 times more than what I had paid in the past.
I found another hotel that was a shitty hotel in the center of town but the wifi didn't work in the room so my search continued.
I ended up just parking my bike on the street and walking around the town to find the right hotel. I hate to leave my bike unattended on the street with all my stuff on it. And when I get back to my bike, there is always a crowd around it. And walking down the street in my full riding gear, I always have all eyes on me. I try not to make eye contact with anyone, because I get tired of everyone looking at me. I am about a foot taller than everyone to. I feel like an alien in town. And I really hate it when the little girls look at me and laugh

The things I am looking for are:
Safe place to park my motorcycle
Wifi
restaurants near by
hot water for a shower
Something less than $20 a night
and last and least, no bugs (because they all have bugs)
I found a hotel that fit the bill but again was more than I wanted to pay.
And it seemed like all the other hotels didn't have parking. And when I say parking, I mean somewhere inside the lobby of the hotel. None of the places had anything like a parking lot. And that is very common here. I am getting good at riding my motorcycle up a few steps in to the lobby.
Just when I was about to give up and go to the expensive hotel, I found one that had a restaurant that I could park in. It only took me an hour and a half, but I found my hotel.
It didn't have wifi in the room it turned out, but 5 out of 6 wasn't bad

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:51 AM
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #1968
roddy409
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wow!

Ok, I finally caught up to you. I was home sick the last few days and read your entire RR up until now. You are doing a fantastic job! And yes, it literally took me two days of reading to get to this page.

Loved the shake down in Alaska; that was smart.
Loved the Baja guided trips and stories; my dad and I always talked about doing those.
Sorry about the GF
CR sounds better than I expected, after reading your accounts
Overall Central America does not sound as scary as people make it out, based on your experiences and far less bribing than I'd heard.
The sailboat cruise to Colombia was amazing!
Next time: Medellin
Sorry about the robbery; Equador sounded pretty good up until then
So far the area you're riding through Peru looks like the south west USA

Good luck, be safe, ride well!

Roddy
Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #1969
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

big world......small world

Sometimes the world seems big like when I ride all day and only cover two inches on my map.
And sometimes the world seems small like this evening. I was standing in line for an ice cream cone at McDonalds here in Lima and the guy standing behind me is a mate I met on the beach in Labitos.
Also last night I met a gal in a bar. She is a 30 year old flight attendant and her name was Cathy. Those of you that know me will find that interesting because I dated a flight attendant named Cathy for 2 years. She broke my heart. And that Cathy was 20 years older.
And yes.........I will be seeing the new Cathy again when she returns from Miami
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #1970
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy409 View Post
Ok, I finally caught up to you. I was home sick the last few days and read your entire RR up until now. You are doing a fantastic job! And yes, it literally took me two days of reading to get to this page.

Loved the shake down in Alaska; that was smart.
Loved the Baja guided trips and stories; my dad and I always talked about doing those.
Sorry about the GF
CR sounds better than I expected, after reading your accounts
Overall Central America does not sound as scary as people make it out, based on your experiences and far less bribing than I'd heard.
The sailboat cruise to Colombia was amazing!
Next time: Medellin
Sorry about the robbery; Equador sounded pretty good up until then
So far the area you're riding through Peru looks like the south west USA

Good luck, be safe, ride well!

Roddy
Hi Roddy
Thanks for the kind words
The coastal area of Peru is like nothing I have ever seen before.
There is nothing growing or alive here.
Even places like Death Valley have plants and shrubs growing there.
But it is bone dry here
It also is much cooler here than I thought it would be. The Pacific Ocean is very cold here and it cools the temperature of the land. But you go inland a bit and it warms dramatically. But then you get to the Andes Mtns and it cools again with the rise in elevation
But I like it here.
After traveling thru the tropics, this desert environment is making me feel right at home.
And I hear it is going to get even drier as I head south in to Chile.
Can't wait
Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #1971
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Sometimes the world seems big like when I ride all day and only cover two inches on my map.
And sometimes the world seems small like this evening. I was standing in line for an ice cream cone at McDonalds here in Lima and the guy standing behind me is a mate I met on the beach in Labitos.
Also last night I met a gal in a bar. She is a 30 year old flight attendant and her name was Cathy. Those of you that know me will find that interesting because I dated a flight attendant named Cathy for 2 years. She broke my heart. And that Cathy was 20 years older.
And yes.........I will be seeing the new Cathy again when she returns from Miami
Good for you

Stunning mountain and tunnel pics
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #1972
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy View Post
Good for you

Stunning mountain and tunnel pics
You should see the videos
I will post them when I get to a good wifi spot
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #1973
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:

Good luck with the new Cat Woman... Remember though, your first priority is keeping this report as close to real time as possible...
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #1974
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Good luck with the new Cat Woman... Remember though, your first priority is keeping this report as close to real time as possible...
I am listening to the wind of my soul. It takes me where my heart wants to go.
Loving Lima!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #1975
Wimke1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
YOU still got the skills!!! take her sky high! ;)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #1976
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimke1971 View Post
YOU still got the skills!!! take her sky high! ;)
After getting dumped on Valentine's Day by Cathy 1 after two years and by Qhfan2 for a famous Baja trophy truck driver after almost a year and a half, I am ready for something good to come my way in this department.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #1977
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Figured its time to check-in again, it's been awhile. Loving the mountains in Peru, you're pics are really great. Would love to take those roads one day.

Quick question - how's your fuel situation in general? Ever cutting it close when you're out in the middle of nowhere for all those miles?

Really enjoying checking in on your journey - looking forward to more.

- Erik
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1978
qman67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Does she live in Lima? Hope it is great times and you soar higher than ever before but land softly. And like the other guy said don't forget your primary obligation of keeping us as current as physically possible.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #1979
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Figured its time to check-in again, it's been awhile. Loving the mountains in Peru, you're pics are really great. Would love to take those roads one day.

Quick question - how's your fuel situation in general? Ever cutting it close when you're out in the middle of nowhere for all those miles?

Really enjoying checking in on your journey - looking forward to more.

- Erik
My gas tank is nearly 9 gallons and I cut it close all the time.
I have ran it to zero on the trip computer several times and then filled it up to its capacity.
And its not because it hard to find gas here its because I like cutting close. Just in case my trip is not exciting enough, I create more excitement by almost running out of gas. But so far I have not. I carry a small amount in my gas stove bottle so I have a small reserve.
You can buy gas from about any ranch along the way. I learned that from riding in Baja.
But I dont really ever worry about it. But it is exciting watching my gas move down and compare it with the count down on my GPS and wonder if I am going to make it to the next gas station. One wrong turn at times, and I would be pushing The Flying Dutchman
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #1980
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman67 View Post
Does she live in Lima? Hope it is great times and you soar higher than ever before but land softly. And like the other guy said don't forget your primary obligation of keeping us as current as physically possible.
I see how it is........it's all about you guys
Closed Thread