User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #211
roffe52
n00b

Oddometer: 3
yamaha yz 465 1981 problem

I have a problem with the part sitting under the clutch plate (sprocket)!. Cant take it away! Dont know how to place a picture on this site? Sorry!
roffe52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #212
Retro boy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
Retro: Thanks for the note and glad the posts are helpful to you on your own 465. Please feel free to share some pictures.

I am still running the following jetting

Pilot Jet= 50
Main Jet = 380
Slide = 3.5 (also a hand cut 3.0 slide)
Needle = 6DH3
Needle Jet = Q8, 247 series

Premix = 40:1

It seemed to run very well two weeks ago at Budds Creek in 45-50 weather, good throttle response and clean throught the rpm range. I thought it felt slightly lean when riding at 30F.

It has warmed up a lot in Maryland these last few days, closer to the temp when I was setting up the jetting initially. I plan to ride it a bit tomorrow so it will be interesting if it runs any differently.

Thanks for that.
I am trying to post some photos of my bike but this iPad isn't letting me.
I'll get some help from one of my more tech savvy mates
I am running a 380 MJ, 45PJ , Q8 needle jet and a6DH4 needle with the clip on the top position.
I am at 1000 meters which is about 3000 ft above sea level so I am expecting to do more jetting changes.
My 465 runs Proform pipe and footpegs, PVL ignition and a YSS hi/lo pro rear shock
My next steps will be getting my forks set up with springs and emulators and V force reeds.
Now here is the problem. It's a pig to start. It will push start easy but it will not kick start when hot. The motor is rebuilt with new seals so I am not expecting an air leak.
Next thing I need to revisit is the timing.
Anyone got any tips for setting up a PVL ignition?
Retro boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #213
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro boy View Post
Thanks for that.
I am trying to post some photos of my bike but this iPad isn't letting me.
I'll get some help from one of my more tech savvy mates
I am running a 380 MJ, 45PJ , Q8 needle jet and a6DH4 needle with the clip on the top position.
I am at 1000 meters which is about 3000 ft above sea level so I am expecting to do more jetting changes.
My 465 runs Proform pipe and footpegs, PVL ignition and a YSS hi/lo pro rear shock
My next steps will be getting my forks set up with springs and emulators and V force reeds.
Now here is the problem. It's a pig to start. It will push start easy but it will not kick start when hot. The motor is rebuilt with new seals so I am not expecting an air leak.
Next thing I need to revisit is the timing.
Anyone got any tips for setting up a PVL ignition?

Hi Retro,

It looks like our jetting is pretty close.

My IT490 had a leak around the base gasket that made it difficult to start. I was able to feel it by sliding my finder around in that area. Apparently it is not an uncommon problem. But it also ran poorly at idle in that condition. So if yours runs well otherwise then it is probably a different issue. I am not familiar with the PVL ignition.

One thing I will say is I am able to start mine much more easily if I have a stand or something to prop my left foot on. This gets me into a higher position so I can get a better kick. With my foot on the ground I have difficulty spining that big bore motor. I guess I'm a sissy!

Turning back to the jetting, I think I'm definitely on the lean side and will step up the MJ to 390 and maybe raise the needle 1 notch. I raced it last week and detected a little bit of pinging in the heat of the battle. Other than that it did pretty well.

You need to post your pictures to a web hosting site first. You cannot post directly to ADVrider. Most use smugmug as the site is subsidized by them. I can post a few pics for you if you email them to me.

Kevin

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #214
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tomahawk ACR

Tomahawk ACR Vintage Motocross 4/13/13

I'm happy to say last weekends Tomahawk race in West Virginia turned out to be a great time.

This event was the season opener for the American Classic Race group. ACR runs a year long series that includes vintage motocross events at legendary tracks such as Southwick and Broome Tioga. Englishtown is on the list as is Budds Creek in October (so I get a second chance at finishing that one!).

Many of these ACR guys seemed to be from the New York / New Jersey area but I also met members from PA, DE and parts of New England. There were also plenty of oldtimers on hand too. One guy I met, "Buzzy", knew many of the 70's era district 34/2 racers and had plenty of old stories to share. It was fun hearing about this guy or that guy from years ago.

Anyway, the ACR guys are a great bunch and really know how run an event. The track owners did a great job too, very organized. Moto's went off smoothly and results were posted quickly.

The track itself is located just outside the neat the little town of Hedgesville WV. This is a nice part of West Virginia, very scenic with lots of natural rolling terrain. I liked the area and am already thinking about going back to ride the back roads on the airhead or guzzi.

If you like old houses, old farms, scenic back roads, horses, cows, chickens and chicken pie suppers, you will like Hedgesville, WV.

As for myself, I had a few hiccups but was able to finish two motos with decent results. But before getting to that, lets look at some pictures!

First the bikes,

Yamaha was offering free test rides on new MXer's!

More to come...!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #215
mxscot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi again!

As promised here are some photos of my restoration project.

It was imported from California so not much rust about it as you can see from the stripped frame.

The forks were desperately needing attention, the exhaust pipe had received a nasty shunt and the compression was low. The air filter was so badly holed it wouldn't have stopped any low flying birds, so the barrel has been rebored now.

The frame had a crack in the cross member under the seat. I brazed that up and got the frame powder coated.

Before I got it coated though I noticed that there has been some alteration to the headstock.

If you look closely you'll see grinder marks on the frame where the original welds have been cut. There is no sign of a frame number where I would expect it and no mark whatsoever to indicate there ever was one at the expected position. Maybe the steering head has been steepened and the number hidden?? Anybody aware of such a mod?

The theory is that this was a desert bike. It had wide rims fitted front and back (1.80 and 2.75 I think they were). Does that sound reasonable? There's no desert in Scotland so they are gone.
There will be more to come......
mxscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #216
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxscot View Post
Hi again!

As promised here are some photos of my restoration project.

. Maybe the steering head has been steepened and the number hidden?? Anybody aware of such a mod?

The theory is that this was a desert bike. It had wide rims fitted front and back (1.80 and 2.75 I think they were). Does that sound reasonable? There's no desert in Scotland so they are gone.
There will be more to come......
Interesting bike you have there!

Desert racer sounds like the best bet given the wide rims. However, you would think the steepened steering head would work against high speed stability. I read somewhere that they would gear these bikes to go 115MPH in the desert... dont know if I would want to do that!

I noticed a few other mods on yours. Is that an intake bottle on the right hand side? It also looks to have the same clutch extender that wfopete and I both have.

Yamaha made a modification part way throught the '81 model year where the top tube meets the steering head. The earlier serial numbers have the tube welded to the steering head with no gusset. Apparently it was common for cracks to develop there so later on they added a gusset on the top tube. You seem to have this.

My 81 YZ465 #1 bike does not have the gusset but my 81 YZ465 #2 does. I read that all the 82 490's have the gusset as well.

I am not sure but the head pipe on your expansion chamber looks longer than the standard yz465. It may be a it465 or it490 pipe.

The serial numbers of the motors matched the frames. For 81 it should be 4V4###... the IT465 is 4V6### (I think).

Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #217
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More pics from Tomahawk race...

Last time we saw the bikes... here are some of the racers!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #218
mxscot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The bike is a 4V4, going by the engine number and 43 mm forks.

Yes, there are a few mods on the bike. As you noticed it has the clutch arm extender and a boost bottle. The bottle is fed from a spigot off a ~10mm extender plate in the inlet tract. The silencer is standard YZ465, which I thought was a bit odd seeing as some previous owner has went to the bother of adding these other go-faster bits. The pipe I thought was standard too, however it could be after-market because it has been hand made and Japanese pipes of that era were normally those pressed types with the protruding seams.

That is an interesting story about the gusset at the steering head. Perhaps the work done on mine was for a repair and the gusset has been added at this time. Doesn't explain the lack of visible frame number though.

I'm thinking of deleting the boost bottle. Also I read somewhere that a spacer between the reed cage and the barrel improved starting on these bikes. Do you think that is the case? Is it worth bothering with or is starting fine if you have the knack?

mxscot screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 11:04 AM
mxscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #219
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,801
This thread brings back a lot of memories... I had a YZ250F a 1979 model purchased in 1980 for $1600. Paid for it with my lawn mowing money...

I salivated over the YZ465 you are building. I got to ride one once, I remember it put the fear of god into me!

Good luck with your build!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #220
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tomahawk results

OK, so I posted lots of pictures but now here is how I did.

First, you may recall I suffered a flat tire on the 465 back at Budds Creek. Well the very same thing happened in the Tomahawk practice.

When I fixed my flat last time, I ran a new rim (duct) tape and checked the rim locks all very carefully.

It turns out that I think my problem is related to using armour all as a lube when first mounting the new tire on the rim several months ago. When the tire went flat this time I could clearly see that the sidewall had slipped over the rim in the space between the rim locks. My tire pressure was only 12psi or so, I think my sidewall is too slicked up to firmly grip the rim. Using armour all was pretty stupid of me but I want to share the story so others dont suffer the same fate.

I do have a spare wheel so I am going to set this tire/wheel combo aside for awhile and hope that the armour all will dry out over time.

The good news is that the flat happened towards the end of practice so I did get some riding time and was able to switch the wheel and still make a second practice.

The second practice went pretty well but I noticed the bike was starting to ping very noticeably. Shortly after this the spark plug blew out of the cylinder head!

The threads were fine, and I remember tightening it, but I guess i just didnt tighten it enough... jeeze, what a knuckle head!

Fortunately, I found the plug just lying there on top of the head. I was able to screw it back in ride it back to the truck. This all happened in a hilly section of the track so I was pretty happy I didnt have to push the bike back as that would have been the end of me!

Now, it turns out that the ACR runs this race a little differently in terms of classification compared to the Budds Creek event. Last time I raced the 50+ class.

This time I raced a class call vintage 80's intermediate without age restrictions. I was a little worried that I would be up against a bunch of young bucks. It turns out that while there were 30yo guys, there seemed to be plenty in their 40's and I think 50's too.

But it also meant that my '81 YZ465 was lining up against late '80's machines with new fangled innovations like disc brakes, link suspension and water cooling.

Anyway, I had trouble getting the bike started for the 1st moto. When the plug blew out it closed the gap. I set the gap by eye by prying agaist something on the bike while stuck in practice. The starter was kind enough to hold the gate until I finally got it fired up. Of course I was gasping for air by this time.

Even so I got a pretty good start when the gate went down. I hung on near the front until about half way though the moto. I really wanted to finish so started to think about dialing it back a bit. Right about this time I got caught up with my wheels mismatched in some deep grooves and I went down. I was able to pick it up but not before being passed by a few guys. I placed 7th in the 1st moto... really, I was just happy to make the finish line .

For some reason I felt a little more confident at the line in the 2nd moto. Maybe because the bike started 1st kick this time (new plug). I was a bit slow out of the gate (I think I was day dreaming a little) but the 465 came on strong and I was moving up as I felt the field closing in on me through the 1st turn.

I was able to get past a couple of guys pretty quickly and was near the front again somehow. Then some guy passed me and pulled away a bit. Then another guy but I was able to pass him back.

My main misssion was to finish and not fall down. On the last lap I had a few guys looking to make a move on me.

But I knew if stayed calm and focussed on taking a good smooth line through the final corners it would be tough for them to out drag the big YZ to the next one.

And that's exactly how it unfolded.

Not only did I hold them off but a rider who was ahead of me fell off. In the end I finished in 2nd place, not bad. The 7-2 finish gave me 4th overall, one step off the podium.

Here's the funny part. After the 2nd moto a guy in his 30's says to me "Were you a racer back in the" ... he takes a long pause as he looks over the old man (me) ... so I finish his sentence "yeah, and that would be the 70's!".

So once again, it was a real good time and lots of good people. I haven't hurt myself yet so my season continues.

Interestingly, there were a couple of guys racing the A class whose names I remember from the early 80s. These guys were really cooking. I'm guessing they are now in their late 40's or early 50's?. They were fast as hell and great fun to watch.

Hats off to them!

And now a couple of photos from the '70s show...

This is one of the starts after the 1st turn - the yellow bike on right is me!

Trying to get away from those pesky Honda's!

Next up is a wood race near Shamokin PA.

Those woods racers really kicked my butt in the tight trails... more to come!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #221
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Awesome Kevin! Congratulations!

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #222
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,902
The YZ is so good you have a chance up against more "refined" bikes. The bike will turn but it takes effort and braking fades as time goes on.

Honestly attend an American Supercamp and your cornering ability (speed) confidence will increase and brake fade will decrease.

And never forget to have fun. Nice to see someone else racing the big YZ. Funding school has made racing a non event for me this year. Enjoy.

I guess I'll toss this in. Get your head forward (over the triple trees) and those elbows UP!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #223
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 423
Kevin, YOU DID GREAT!

Just remember how those bike leapfrogged in improvements during the 80's! An '86 CR 250 was an amazingly good bike. That CR was light, had great power, handled & with a few "modern" improvements they are even better still. Plus I'll bet the "Tech" inspection was pretty weak meaning you could really throw in a ringer bike, yours included if you wanted. Still, ain’t it great to line up against all those machines and riders and still show 'em some roost? The great thing about the 465 is that ever present loud handle at the right end of your handlebar; just twist it and watch the bikes around you start fading away. Remember to flaunt the 465's positive's (stability and power) and minimize it's negatives (turning and weight). Once you work on your technique and stamina you'll learn more each ride about your YZ and yourself and good things will continue to happen. Also get some Bleach White on them tires (off the rims of course) & next time use dish soap or a little WD40 as a tire lube. I've seen pro's use WD40.

Zoom, zoom. Keep it fun.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK

wfopete screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 08:07 AM
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #224
mikeyairtime
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I just picked up this thread. I was a So Cal MXer and raced both the 81 465 and the 82 490. The flat tire has more to do with tire pressure than anything. If you're at all fast 12 psi rear will lead to constant spin flats, pinch flats and squared rims. For a track with no rocks or hard pack square edges I'd run 13 front /14 rear. For a rocky track 15/15. Most would agree that the 81 Maico 490 was the bike to have that year and is still considered one of the best MX bikes of all time. The Yamaha 465 was a good bike and just plain worked but suffered from the dreaded Yamaswap so keeping the rear end planted and driving was crucial. The 1981 465 was a better bike all around than the 1982 490. The 490 was a very heavy beast, 270 pounds dry and snaped shocks regularly. I crashed my 490 so hard at the 82 Golden State Nationals at Saddleback that in a single bike high speed swap the bike cartwheeled so hard it bent both forks, the frame and destroyed the rear wheel. Everything changed in 83, the first year of the Rodger Decoster influenced Hondas. I went to Honda in 83 and those bikes were the first modern geometry headshaker bikes made specifically for the SoCal/US cut and thrust clutch fanning riding style that changed the whole sport.

mikeyairtime screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 08:54 PM
mikeyairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #225
Retro boy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
Hi Retro,

It looks like our jetting is pretty close.

My IT490 had a leak around the base gasket that made it difficult to start. I was able to feel it by sliding my finder around in that area. Apparently it is not an uncommon problem. But it also ran poorly at idle in that condition. So if yours runs well otherwise then it is probably a different issue. I am not familiar with the PVL ignition.

One thing I will say is I am able to start mine much more easily if I have a stand or something to prop my left foot on. This gets me into a higher position so I can get a better kick. With my foot on the ground I have difficulty spining that big bore motor. I guess I'm a sissy!

Turning back to the jetting, I think I'm definitely on the lean side and will step up the MJ to 390 and maybe raise the needle 1 notch. I raced it last week and detected a little bit of pinging in the heat of the battle. Other than that it did pretty well.

You need to post your pictures to a web hosting site first. You cannot post directly to ADVrider. Most use smugmug as the site is subsidized by them. I can post a few pics for you if you email them to me.

Kevin

Kevin, I might take you up on that offer to post those pic,s of my bike for me!
I had a major break thru in the starting department. I pulled the cover off and retarded the timing 1 mm and now for the fist time I was able to kickstart it hot and while standing on the ground! Happy days!
Now I just gotta stop the clutch slipping long enough to see how the jetting is!
Retro boy is offline   Reply With Quote