Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #76
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Any comments on these tyres on dirt roads. I'm heading out through SW Qld in August then down through Birdsville, Innamincka etc with couple of blokes on solos. The "Plan" is to follow the Diamantina River.
Options are to either use a BMW wheel with a knobby tyre or the 15" so I'm after opinions on them in sand, and mud, and rocks....
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #77
darki
n00b

Oddometer: 2
tyers snow nd mud

[QUOTE=3legs;17991254]G'day

See attached link to a thread about Vredestein snow and mud tyres.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763661

I e-mailed the local distributor who happens to be Antique tyres and he advised that they can get them in. This is what he e-mailed back......

Thanks for the email on the Vredestein.
We can bring this tyre in for you on our shipment, that would be pending availability in Holland but I don’t think it would be a problem.
I have an order with them at the moment that we are just waiting on advise when it will be all ready to send.
I would be more than happy to bring a few in but we would need a commitment that people would buy them so that we are not left sitting with unsaleable stock.
I will get price on them for you also. I would be guessing around the $150-$200 mark.
I hope that this helps out and I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Ben

So if any Aussie outfit riders are interested in getting some let me know and I will see if we can put a bulk order in. Not cheap, I know but considering the limited availability (read none) in Australia it's probably not a bad price. I assume freight from their shop to your state will be extra. Let me know asap.

3legs
[giday/QUOTE]
darki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #78
darki
n00b

Oddometer: 2
giday mate,i would be very interested in afew of these tyers,am building a kwaka 1600 vulcan outfit with a sidecar wheel drive (only for use in lower gears).hope i'm not to late,i have only just joined the madness on this site,cheers
darki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #79
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,030
G'day Darki

Give Ben at Antique tyres a ring. I'm not sure if he has any left but no harm in asking. Tell him you are from the ADVRIDER site and he will know what you are talking about.

Depending on how the others like the tyre and how long they last we may do another bulk order at a later date but I doubt it will be in the next 6 months.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #80
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,582
I've put mine on.
Heading off in the morning for SA and it's been raining constantly around here all day.

Will be giving Trek a bit of a mixed workout. Bitumen, gravel, some sand and I expect some mud - particularly in the forest between Tocumwal & Deniliquin. Bit sandy further west. All joined by that hard black stuff.

Starting out with 30psi in it.

The bloke that fitted did comment that it has very soft sidewalls.

Watch this space, amongst others.

Oh yeah. It starts with 9mm tread depth.

Edit: Don't expect the assessment any time soon. I had to cancel my trip at the 11th hour. Bike was ready, I was keen as, weather was improving. But shit sometimes happens. Now I need to find somewher to ride it to at least give it a test run.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/

tripodtiger screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 02:02 AM
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #81
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Any comments on these tyres on dirt roads. I'm heading out through SW Qld in August then down through Birdsville, Innamincka etc with couple of blokes on solos. The "Plan" is to follow the Diamantina River.
Options are to either use a BMW wheel with a knobby tyre or the 15" so I'm after opinions on them in sand, and mud, and rocks....
They are Very soft in the side walls Rockman The bro is 3000km into a 7000km ride on the Vredestein tires.
He blew out a rear tire just after Birdsville .
He raised the air pressure and no troubles with the tires since . .

I will update some more info when he gets back home . Lucky Bugger .

Cheers Ian

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #82
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Hi Pops,

Mine performed beautifully. No problems at all. Even lowered the pressure down to around 30 psi (normal 40 psi) for the PDR due to the sand and f@#king corrugations. Still didn't stop the bike from shaking apart but the tyre survived. Worked well on the bitumen as well. Wear rate looks pretty good too. So far seems to have been a good buy.

Later

3legs
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #83
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,244
I am glad to see that those tires are working out for you guys, I was worried that they might not hold up to the abuse down there.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #84
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Q to those who have a few miles on these tyres.

What pressure have you been using on bitumen?

Circumstances have prevented me for doing much at all on mine, and now it's approaching summer.

Every previous car tyre I've used, I've run around 30-32psi.
With these, I know the sidewall is really soft, and assume the compound isn't designed for high speed sealed roads, let alone summer.

So, what's the thinking?

Front (bike tyres) I lately run low, around 25psi. I used to use around 30psi.
Sidecar (bike tyres) varies with load, from 25 to 30psi.

I've never taken much notice of mileage or age.

I've never really taken the time to do much experimentation either.

My prime objective has always been to avoid punctures. I hate punctures. Possibly the worst problem on a bike, 'cause you can see the problem but fixing it is so fraught with tears and frustration.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #85
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Hi Ray

On the trip to Cape York I ran 40 psi in the rear due to the soft sidewalls and because my bike is pretty heavy and it performed really well. Once I got to the PDR I dropped the pressure down to around 27 psi and it made a big difference to the shake rattle and roll of the corrugations (although 1/2 my bike shook itself to pieces), much nicer to ride on the dirt and seem to grip nicely in the sandy stuff. Didn't have any drama's with them and no noticable wear.

Later

3legs
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #86
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Cheers 3legs. Might bump it up a bit, see how it feels.

I'm in planning for a ride to Mimosa Rocks NP at the end of November (there is a thread on the Australia page for anyone that reckons they could join in). There is no getting around it, there is going to be a fair bit of bitumen, especially through Kosciousko NP. I don't want it falling to pieces on the winding bits between Talbingo and Adaminaby.

I'm just reminded of the day I destroyed a bike tyre (on the back) in the Adelaide Hills. It was already worn out, but that last 50 or so km tore it to shreds - loaded with two kids and camping gear.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #87
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

I just remembered this thread.

I've only managed 2000km on the tyre to this point (which means the Torance didn't last long on the front) but I did measure the tread depth at 7mm.

Wear was nice and even across the tread face. I used it on rocky tracks & bitumen up in the Snowy Mts and it hooked up very well. No visible issues with the sidewalls being cut either.
You can watch the videos in the 'shot from the sidecar' thread, I think. I don't typically ride that conservatively (go hard or go home? Usually with some sort of injury)

My sidecar use has been a bit reduced over the past few months so it will be some time. Probably wont be putting many miles on it for a few months. I'll try and get back to this thread with some more info, 'ron.