Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #556
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,283
Live and learn, Spencer. With auto electrics, the ground is always negative and is "grounded" to the chassis. One German vehicles, the wiring color code for the ground id always Brown. The "other" wire is +12v and is "hot". THE BIG EXCEPTION being British vehicles in the 1960's and earlier. The Brits, being typically contrarian, adopted a "Positive Ground" standard. Ack basswards.

Incandescent bulbs don't care about polarity (which end is positive and which end is negative), but the sockets can. The shell is always the ground. Motors care about polarity. LEDs care about polarity. Electronics care about polarity (and be careful, you can let the Majickal $moke out).

No playing around with Mrs Fish to get hotness back til you get (this problem with) the bike straightened out.

:)

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 09:23 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #557
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Live and learn, Spencer. With auto electrics, the ground is always negative and is "grounded" to the chassis. One German vehicles, the wiring color code for the ground id always Brown. The "other" wire is +12v and is "hot". THE BIG EXCEPTION being British vehicles in the 1960's and earlier. The Brits, being typically contrarian, adopted a "Positive Ground" standard. Ack basswards.

Incandescent bulbs don't care about polarity (which end is positive and which end is negative), but the sockets can. The shell is always the ground. Motors care about polarity. LEDs care about polarity. Electronics care about polarity (and be careful, you can let the Majickal $moke out).

No playing around with Mrs Fish to get hotness back til you get (this problem with) the bike straightened out.

:)

--Bill
Many American cars of the 1950's had positive ground. Some even had left hand threads on the wheel lug nuts. We also had 6 volt systems back in the day. Wow, what a treat it was when you got 12 volt headlights! But actually people used to be able to use their eyes and we didn't have bright street lights. You learned to drive using the equipment you had.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #558
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Hmmm, I didn't remember that-- I knew about 6V electrics but not about positive ground US-made vehicles. I thought positive ground was a British unnovation.

--Bill
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #559
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,163
I think it was more common with the Brits. Everybody would know about it but many of the Plymouth and Dodge cars had Positive ground. I had to change the polarity on my 1950 Plymouth Special Delux because I couldn't get the right battery or some reason. I forget what you did to the Generator but the polarity on the coil had to be changed.

I think there were others but I remember the Plymouth because it was one of my best cars of all time. It was wrecked by a housemate of mine who took it one night because he was drunk. The car had a broken steering box and would only steer to the right. He didn't know about this and drove it into a sugar cane field. My friends pulled it out and took it to the junk yard so I wouldn't have to see it. Boy what good friends those were don't you think?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #560
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
ALL FIXED. i switched those 2 wires for each turn signal and lo and behold, the bulb sockets no longer get "hot", and thus, the turn signal housings no longer get "hot".

quite a lot of BS for such a small and simple problem!

Thanks for the help everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #561
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Than you for this... you did some amazing things during your build and I've sat here thinking "no way I could do that" but then you had this issue and proved you too are human I got to play armchair quarterback and knew exactly how to fix the issue. I still don't know how to fiberglass and haven't pulled a transmission yet but...
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #562
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
... I got to play armchair quarterback and knew exactly how to fix the issue....
thanks;) you could have chimed in a few posts ago and saved me a headache;)

I appreciate the kind words! all these things are firsts for me - it's just good i like learning;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #563
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

tech day in La Mesa today:)

www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #564
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

That Monza Blue cafe' is striking (but then, I'm biased towards that color), but your, errr, Burnt Umber is quite distinctive and stands out.

Any ADVers we should know in the pics??

--Bill
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #565
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
That Monza Blue cafe' is striking (but then, I'm biased towards that color), but your, errr, Burnt Umber is quite distinctive and stands out.
--Bill
My thoughts as well.
Though the Monza blue is nice, that 'tequila sunrise' shade of orange raises the bar.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #566
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Any ADVers we should know in the pics?
Tink came down for this (i put a few pics of him and his bike in his "project 's'" thread) :) and I'm certain there's a few lurkers in those pics;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #567
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,807
Wow! Nice color cover, Spencer!!!

photo A4ABB61E-5E9F-4965-BB20-118A50AA7BA4-25464-00002623CEF3E77C_zps59b7525d.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #568
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Wow! Nice color cover, Spencer!!!
ha, thanks for noticing:) Jan made me pose all over San Diego before he was satisfied;) here's a few other pics from our photoshoot ride:

since the key shorting episode I haven't been up to to much trouble.

I had a friend weld on a centerstand tang

and I managed to spend a lot of money one some new parts...

the dog can't wait to see what's inside the boxes

-Squish band Heads, Pistons and Rods from 1977 R100S, Heads are dual-plugged; magnesium valve spring retainers. Pistons have lightweight wristpins, rods and pistons balanced. Pistons have Nikasil compatible rings.
-Pair of nearly new Nikasil cylinders- about 20,000 miles on them.
-Pair of 40mm Bing carbs

I still need to order parts for the dual plugging and new gaskets and such... so I'm not going to tear into the bike for at least another week, but I'm excited:)

In related news, we bought the wife a scooter!

an new and shiny Buddy 170i:) she loves it! and I love that she loves it:) she's got about 200 miles on it as of yesterday.

to close this Wednesday update, here's a pic of me doing what I do when I'm not on my motorcycles;)

I'm the one dressed in black...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #569
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
as a new bmw owner, this thread has been a great inspiration and I hope to be able to find some local airhead friends to help me as well.

did you lower the stock height of your bike?
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #570
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
did the wife ever ride the cb you got for her?
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote