User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
Iceland in August 2013

Two of us booked out from Hirtshals on 6th August returning from Seyðisfjörður on 15th August. Ferry is a little 'spendy' but still cheaper than flying and renting. No plans yet for routes when we're there so if you have any top-tips or will be around at the same time and want to meet up for a ride or just for a beer and a chat, let me know.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:11 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Two of us booked out from Hirtshals on 6th August returning from Seyðisfjörður on 15th August. Ferry is a little 'spendy' but still cheaper than flying and renting. No plans yet for routes when we're there so if you have any top-tips or will be around at the same time and want to meet up for a ride or just for a beer and a chat, let me know.
hi. how much did you pay for the ferry?
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Wildman OP
In my castle

€400 deposit with €472 to pay in July totalling €872.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
JensH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
hi wildman,

i am planning for iceland 2014 as well.
have you given any thoughts on tires yet? i am wondering if i should ride up to the ferry in denmark on my heidenau tires and change onto knobbys close to the ferry either in denmark or iceland.
what are your plans?

j

JensH screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 06:12 AM
JensH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Wildman OP
In my castle

Hi Jens

I'm running Metzeler Tourance EXPs at the moment so will be swapping out to something more "knobbly". Considering giving the Karoo 3 a try but I've been told that a Metzeler Tourance (non-EXP) rear with a TKC80 front is a good combination for gravel. The guy I'll be travelling with is currently on K60s but will need to swap them out before the trip. No decision as yet but I'll change them out before setting off from the UK.

Have you booked your travel yet?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
JensH
Adventurer

we haven't booked anything yet. nor have we made a dissension on which places we want to visit and which roads we'd like to take.

it is a good 800 someting k's from where i life to the ferry in hirtshals. and i am not sure how much will be left of a tkc80 when we hit iceland after 800 k's on motor way on a fully loades gs.

is there a ferry from uk do dk?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensH View Post
we haven't booked anything yet. nor have we made a dissension on which places we want to visit and which roads we'd like to take.

it is a good 800 someting k's from where i life to the ferry in hirtshals. and i am not sure how much will be left of a tkc80 when we hit iceland after 800 k's on motor way on a fully loades gs.

There is but I'll be taking the tunnel and riding, off autoroute/bahn. Let me know if you decide to go around the same time and we can link up for a beer and a chat, maybe ride a little. We have no plans yet once we're there and don't necessarily intend to spend the whole week riding together; just see how it goes.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 416
Quote:

I live not to far from your place and had TKC80 on my 1150GS when I went to Iceland in 2011. The bike was loaded with me and 2x 41 liter Zega boxes and I was running slightly higher than usual tire pressure on the autobahn. Since I was traveling with a friend on a XT660Z I never went faster than 120km/h - when we got to the ferry, the tires were still as good as new.
After maybe 7000km in total and 160+km/h on the way back, there were still 2-3mm of tread left when I got home. (160 is also the max. speed rating of the TKC80)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
JensH
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Let me know if you decide to go around the same time and we can link up for a beer and a chat, (...)
sorry mate, i mistyped in my earlier post. we'll be there in 2014.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
sorry mate, i mistyped in my earlier post. we'll be there in 2014.
No worries!