User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #886
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 896
Thanks for the advice, now I'm hungry

Great clarity provided on Q guys. Now I'm hungry as heck at 4:30 in the morning. Gonna go on a ride today to Marble Falls since I have never been there, and continue my TX BBQ evaluation process.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #887
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,721
If in Marble Falls a must do stop is the Bluebonnet Cafe. Pie to Die for. Ate there yesterday on the way back from a Hill Country Ride/Camp. Will be there next week-end also on a ride with about 20 other bikes. Also try the Turkey Sausage up the street about a 1/2 mile on the same side. Been doing it for almost 50 years.

Heard good things about a place in Burnet called Post Ranch BBQ. Anybody been there?
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #888
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
The Hard 8 pork chop was damn good. Possibly better than Circle T. The ribs were pretty good but a little dry. And I'd take the jalapeno bacon thing over candy. Coulda been spicier but jalapenos are, well, like a box of chocolates...
I've never cared for hard 8 ribs... But I'm picky.

As I've heard it some of the best pork chops around come from Ranch House in Glen Rose on Fri and Sat nights. That's second hand info but the source is reliable.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #889
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I've never cared for hard 8 ribs... But I'm picky.

I stopped at the Hard 8 in Stephenville two days ago. Got the ribs, sausage and the bacon wrap poppers. I'm not a BBQ snob and usually like most Q. I thought the ribs were very good as was the sausage but the poppers were kinda dried out. I think they were sitting there for a while. I love their beans, being free makes them that much better.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #890
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I stopped at the Hard 8 in Stephenville two days ago. Got the ribs, sausage and the bacon wrap poppers. I'm not a BBQ snob and usually like most Q. I thought the ribs were very good as was the sausage but the poppers were kinda dried out. I think they were sitting there for a while. I love their beans, being free makes them that much better.
The beans are great. I love those whole jalopenos cooked in there with them.

I've had dry poppers on more than one occasion. They're tasty but I usually don't order any because of that.

In my experience the sausage has been quite satisfactory.

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #891
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

I live close and ride/eat there alot and really like the place. Brisket is always very good and their Jalapeno Corn rocks. And FREE beans, well how could you not like those. Plus, they are very good. Always enjoyed with a Dr. Pepper.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #892
mfleck
Fleckster

Oddometer: 119
All hail BBQ!

I am headed down for two days in kerville and leaky. is there a jamming bbq place in Kerville?
mfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #893
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,474
Lum's in Junction. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #894
Air Force Vet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Kerrville and Austin

I'm headed to Austin for Moto Gp next week but we're stopping first in Kerrville and riding the Sisters. Two things we're looking for are great Q and a great steak.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It'll be my first time riding Texas and really looking forward to it!
Air Force Vet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #895
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

I really like The Salt Lick BBQ southwest of Austin, located just east of Driftwood,TX. I also will be at the MotoGP and plan on eating at the Salt Lick on Sat. eve. As I re-call there is a place called Cowboy Steakhouse in Kerrville that has very good steaks. If not, just ask any locals, they will know and help you out. Enjoy your time in Texas, we Texan's always appreciate a Vets service to this great country. If I see you at The Salt Lick BBQ, dinner is on me.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #896
Air Force Vet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
thanks

Thanks FotoTex! Can't wait for this week to start!!
Air Force Vet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #897
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
What was that stuff?

So there I was, turning around after ordering some brisket and slaw at Rocky Creek BBQ on Hamilton Pool Road when I noticed my KTM was lying on the ground. WTF? I trot over and it appeared that the side stand had simply disappeared. How could this happen? I picked it up, surprised that I could do it, frankly. And surprised that it would only go halfway up, as the side stand had not, it turned out, vanished but rather had sunk into the ground and now didn't want to come out, like a broadhead in a dead boar.

I'm still puzzled. The ground looked firm, just like all the other ground, a mix of soil and rock and dead leaves and dead grasses, but this was soft, yielding–it had a plastic texture like playdough. More mysteriously, it felt.. I don't know.. kind of damp.

So, what the fuck was that stuff?

PS: Rocky Creek has very very good brisket and pork ribs and sausage. And slaw, if anybody besides me cares.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #898
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,474
Aaah. That was "kickstand quicksand". It's everywhere. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #899
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 896
KTMs fall over just to tease you

KTMs generally fall down while going fast, then cost a fortune to repair. Don't ask me how I know. Consider yourself lucky to have it fall over in a parking lot with minimal damage. Time for the kickstand pad extender accessory.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #900
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So there I was, turning around after ordering some brisket and slaw at Rocky Creek BBQ on Hamilton Pool Road when I noticed my KTM was lying on the ground. WTF? I trot over and it appeared that the side stand had simply disappeared. How could this happen? I picked it up, surprised that I could do it, frankly. And surprised that it would only go halfway up, as the side stand had not, it turned out, vanished but rather had sunk into the ground and now didn't want to come out, like a broadhead in a dead boar.

I'm still puzzled. The ground looked firm, just like all the other ground, a mix of soil and rock and dead leaves and dead grasses, but this was soft, yielding–it had a plastic texture like playdough. More mysteriously, it felt.. I don't know.. kind of damp.

So, what the fuck was that stuff?

PS: Rocky Creek has very very good brisket and pork ribs and sausage. And slaw, if anybody besides me cares.
Hmmm, I've always heard the little KTMs had flimsy side stands that were prone to failure. Sadly, my WR250R side stand sank into the ground under my considerable weight. I need to get one of those side stand pad things to reduce the chance of that happening again. Or lose weight, but the stands are quicker, faster, than me actually losing an bunch of pounds. Probably staying away from BBQ is my best bet to achieve the weight loss.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote