ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Vegas Day Trip Ideas?

Hi all,

I'll be in vegas for a week in June... My co-worker and will have a free day mid-week and are thinking of renting a couple of bikes and doing some kind of day trip. Plans are still wide open at this point. I think he's leaning toward renting a Harley of some sort. I'm not sure what I might choose. Wouldn't make sense to get anything other than a big street bike if we're riding together. Doesn't really matter...

So I ask the collective for day trip suggestions. He's a newer rider, so big miles are out.

Thanks in advance!
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 557
One of my favorite rides to do here in Vegas is North Shore Road (Lake Mead) to Valley of Fire. Then go from there to Mt Charlston (some good food up there and quite a bit cooler during the summer) and then finish it off at Red Rocks area.

North Shore Road goes along the Northern part of Lake Mead.
Valley of Fire cuts across from North Shore to the I-15.
Mt Charlston is towards the NW part of town.
Red Rocks NP is straight west of town.

Death Valley is about 3-4 hours away and is always a good ride. Do NOT ride to the Hoover Dam unless its in the morning during a weekday. Traffic can be down right horrible there.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Be carefull and carry alot of water. It will be well into the 100's in June. So you'll have to all day
Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Are you both dirt riders? I rented a bmw at bmw of vegas, and have a great dirt route to death valley and back.

400 miles. Round trip...but you need to be confident riding a 1200 with street tires in some sandy conditions...but youlll have a story to tell your friends.....check out my rr and if you want the gps file, pm me...one of the best rides of my life.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin
One of my favorite rides to do here in Vegas is North Shore Road (Lake Mead) to Valley of Fire. Then go from there to Mt Charlston (some good food up there and quite a bit cooler during the summer) and then finish it off at Red Rocks area.

Death Valley is about 3-4 hours away and is always a good ride. Do NOT ride to the Hoover Dam unless its in the morning during a weekday. Traffic can be down right horrible there.
Hoover Dam is out... avoiding traffic is high on the priority list.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
motojunky OP
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
Are you both dirt riders? I rented a bmw at bmw of vegas, and have a great dirt route to death valley and back.

400 miles. Round trip...but you need to be confident riding a 1200 with street tires in some sandy conditions...but youlll have a story to tell your friends.....check out my rr and if you want the gps file, pm me...one of the best rides of my life.
I'm pretty much an "everything" rider, but primarily dirt these days.

He's a new rider, street only at this point. A dirt route sounds perfect to me, but I don't think it's a good idea for his first dirt ride.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
crspep
Circling the drain

Oddometer: 165
North Shore

You'll probably have to pay at the toll booth to do Northshore [I think it's just $5 for a bike] I'm not sure, but you may have to pay again to get into the Valley of Fire...... Nice ride though..... You used to be able to get in from the Logandale side for free because they didn't have the toll booths built yet, but they probably do now..... I also see alot of bikers show up in Boulder City on the weekends to do breakfast or lunch near the middle of "old" town. If for some reason you find yourself heading towards Hoover dam, [The bridge project is pretty impressive] [also, if you follow the lake around when you're on the south end of northshore, you hit the road to the dam] if the traffic is too bad, you can still run up the hill to Boulder City for a drink, or lunch, so it's not a total loss.
Me: Gear on and waiting for my race partner to hand off the bike. 8yr old kid: Hey, you race'n ? Me: (looking around to see if he"s talking to someone else).. Ummmm, yeah. 8yr old: What kind of bike you ride'n ? Me: KX 500. 8yr old: (looking puzzled for a second.) Ohhh, you're riding that OLD bike.
crspep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Teneighty23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post

I know this is an old thread, but If you can answer me, or if someone else can, can you do that route (North shore to valley of fire, across to Mt. Charleston to red rock canyon) all in one day? I will be there for work but only have a saturday free to rent a bike and ride. thanks!
Teneighty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teneighty23 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but If you can answer me, or if someone else can, can you do that route (North shore to valley of fire, across to Mt. Charleston to red rock canyon) all in one day? I will be there for work but only have a saturday free to rent a bike and ride. thanks!
That route is easily done in one day.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote