ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7164 View Post
Is there anything on the rough parts that would make me wish i hadn't? I assume its pretty easy to find it on the west side of the 17 at the Table Mesa exit, or do I need to search for it?
If your riding without a skid plate, there's always that chance of finding just the wrong rock and wishing you hadn't.
The easiest way that also cuts out most of the hard stuff is when you get off at Table Mesa, follow the curve of the exit ramp and then go through the gate on the left JUST before you cross back over the top of I-17. It will loop back on itself and lead you right to the gas line road.
If you want to try the harder stuff, take the next left past the gate (also before you cross back over I-17), follow the pavement down till it turns to dirt. Stay left and you will see the trail making a steep ascent up the hill to the left. You kind of have to hunt for this end of the trail as there is some sort of rock quarry company just past there and they have sort of tried to persuade us not to use this route with piled up rocks and berms and stuff. It is easily avoidable and there are no keep out signs. Two weeks ago, I bumped over a small berm down to the little creek and then rode down the creek for 50 feet or so before making a hard left straight up the hill.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
I am going tomorrow to explore some route around Dugas rd to Camp Verde in preparation for the Grand Canyon Rd (2 days ride ~368 mi off-rd
This sounds a LOT like the Williams overnighter I was trying to plan a while back for this spring. Looks like I will have to put that off till fall. Good luck on that Eddy. I've been wanting to do that stretch between Dugas and Camp Verde either through Cherry or down Copper Canyon.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
. I've been wanting to do that stretch between Dugas and Camp Verde either through Cherry or down Copper Canyon.
Well that ur chance join in, still time till 7am . If not i'll get some vid. from my helmet-cam. In the process I am testing new set of tires as well.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Eddy but can't. Another time.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
If your riding without a skid plate, there's always that chance of finding just the wrong rock and wishing you hadn't.
The easiest way that also cuts out most of the hard stuff is when you get off at Table Mesa, follow the curve of the exit ramp and then go through the gate on the left JUST before you cross back over the top of I-17. It will loop back on itself and lead you right to the gas line road. ........
Thanks for the directions. Last night i went for a short ride and started on a hill right outside my place. To me the hill is a steep and rocky climb (I'll have to post some pictures and maybe others can tell me what they think) and near the top I picked the wrong line and dropped it. Super low speed and the only "damage" I noticed was my right hand guard spun on the bar.

I'll post a ride report when i get home that talks more about the hill and the flock of wild turkeys that crossed the road as I crested it.

Anyway a little later in the ride I discovered that my lower radiator hose was leaking. Looks to me like the end of the hose clamp filleted the hose a bit causing a really small dribble. I'm going to throw some silicone "rescue" tape on it and see if it holds. If so im going to ADVenture my way home and Ill probably hit the gas line road, if not I'll load up into the truck and come home w/the family.
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
That's a nice bike 4 all terrains try this vid I hope it help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpt7w1fVDc.......

......I would have ask u to join me but I am exploring and taking notes so I don't want to tie u to my schedule.
The video was really helpful, thank you! I would have politely said no on joining you. Even at your exploring and note taking pace I would be worried I was slowing you down.

7164 screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 10:56 AM
Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

DirtKlod:

The Rescue Tape worked. I fixed the leak, topped off the reservoir and rode it home on trails and back roads to include the gas line road. That road was a blast. Fast with enough surprises thrown in to keep me honest.

I intended to take the harder part at the beginning you were talking about, but I got a bit confused on the directions and took the easier route to the start of it by mistake. When the easier trail merges with the gas line rd I looked at the hill there and figured that was what you were talking about. I wouldn't have had a problem with it and I thought about running up and down it just for grins, but was running short on daylight so I decided to just get on with it. I did however take all of the hills on the route instead of the go around's and found them to be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the directions, I'll be riding that again for sure.