Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #166
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,985
No, it means that I've already tested gopro footage, as it's pretty readily available. :)

Anders
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #167
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by az45 View Post
I may buy you a beer, but I'm not qualified to talk rally with you impaired!

It may take awhile to make me a believer in this format, but I'm hoping you can do it. Until then, you may have to have to put up with my remedial questions.
If you come to rally with an open mind, you might have an easier time figuring it out. It's just a time card, nothing special. If Rally is confusing, stay away from a Northeast Enduro race, you'll be in the fetal position rocking back and forth at every time control.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #168
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
No, it means that I've already tested gopro footage, as it's pretty readily available. :)

Anders
Ok, I'll have my GoPro just wasn't sure how to save all the footage since I won't be bringing a computer and don't have a huge SD card.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #169
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Question (I'm sure this is addressed someplace in the rules but I'm not good at studying) - How are the vehicles going to be limited, or are they limited, for speed in sections that are paved such as the 28 miles out of San Ignacio, start of Special 2 Day 2 ?
I doesn't seem right or safe to be unlimited on that stretch. It's all pretty new pavement, whale petters use it, locals, etc... It's desolate and an area you could go stupid fast.
It's unlike going thru La Purisma & San Isidro where IMO if you're doing 60 that's super sketchy so I think most everyone will be cool.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #170
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
Question (I'm sure this is addressed someplace in the rules but I'm not good at studying) - How are the vehicles going to be limited, or are they limited, for speed in sections that are paved such as the 28 miles out of San Ignacio, start of Special 2 Day 2 ?
I doesn't seem right or safe to be unlimited on that stretch. It's all pretty new pavement, whale petters use it, locals, etc... It's desolate and an area you could go stupid fast.
It's unlike going thru La Purisma & San Isidro where IMO if you're doing 60 that's super sketchy so I think most everyone will be cool.

I was woundering that also?
there area few pavement places that I can think of the will be sketchy.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #171
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

I don't know of any limits on the speed during the racing stages, regardless of the road surface.

Transit sections between stages have both penalties for speeding, and penalties for arriving early.

Anders
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #172
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Quote:
I don't know of any limits on the speed during the racing stages, regardless of the road surface.

Transit sections between stages have both penalties for speeding, and penalties for arriving early.

Anders
This is soooo a new guy question but after a transit stage if your on time not too early or late what is your time window for gathering your thoughts, grabbing a protein bar, rubbin one out , etc......
Old 04-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #173
az45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
30 minutes.
You have the specified transit time, which is enough transit time to get to the beginning of special + another 30 minutes if you choose to use it. If you sit around for the 30 minutes, the guys you passed in the previous special can get by you again if they dont use the extra time.

I say gather your thoughts on the transit, then start the special as soon as possible. The sooner your day is done, the sooner you can drink!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #174
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by az45 View Post

I say gather your thoughts on the transit, then start the special as soon as possible. The sooner your day is done, the sooner you can drink!
Now that is sound advice, Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #175
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

How long you wait is all about strategy and making a smart plan. Lots of unusual things can come up. Let's say you get to the start right on time, and a big truck takes off right when you get there. Probably better to wait as long as you can so you're not in their dust... so wait until ANOTHER car shows up in your rear view mirror, and pull in and start just before they get there, giving yourself maximum dust reduction.

Of course, this might change if you think the car behind you will pass you, and you know who they are before they get there.

Of course, this might change if the sun is getting low.

Of course, this might change if it's the second or third stage of the day.

The biggest thing to realize is that every time you get a choice to do anything (like when to check in), that's an opportunity to make a strategically better/smarter decision than your competitors.

Anders
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #176
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
How long you wait is all about strategy and making a smart plan. Lots of unusual things can come up.
Yeah, what Anders said.
Or if you are entering a section with possibly tricky navigation and you know someone near you is using GPS (you on roadbook or nothing like some do) then you can try to enter directly after and sponge off that person or if you want to avoid someone following you you can possibly make that happen.
OR, if you have what you think is a perfect plan to stop at a certain Pemex in Felipe (the one leaving town, but who would do that?) and that station happens to be closed and you have to double back to another station and it costs you just enough time to be, say, 2 minutes late to the start of the next Special maybe that was a piss poor plan...
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #177
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Quote:
if you have what you think is a perfect plan to stop at a certain Pemex in Felipe (the one leaving town, but who would do that?) and that station happens to be closed and you have to double back to another station and it costs you just enough time to be, say, 2 minutes late to the start of the next Special maybe that was a piss poor plan...
Yes, but also, consider the alternatives: You arrive at the closed station, and panic, thinking "Oh crap, I won't make the check in, I have to go!" instead of thinking, "Ok, now I have a choice: full tank of gas plus a 2 minute penalty, or empty tank and no penalty."
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #178
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
I just can't wait to go racing! Jeremy if I had a place to use you, you know I would! But I thought you were out anyway
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #179
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
How long you wait is all about strategy and making a smart plan. Lots of unusual things can come up.
Or if you happen to blow your crank after breaking a speed record while racing 100% unsupported...hopefully your dad just happens to show up outa nowhere
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #180
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Yeah, what Anders said.
Or if you are entering a section with possibly tricky navigation and you know someone near you is using GPS (you on roadbook or nothing like some do) then you can try to enter directly after and sponge off that person or if you want to avoid someone following you you can possibly make that happen.
OR, if you have what you think is a perfect plan to stop at a certain Pemex in Felipe (the one leaving town, but who would do that?) and that station happens to be closed and you have to double back to another station and it costs you just enough time to be, say, 2 minutes late to the start of the next Special maybe that was a piss poor plan...
So, what do you do? Ride the transit at 70 & hit the first Pemex n of San Felipe. Then hit the last one on your way out. If your lucky you'll get gas at both. Remember, racing is 1/3 skill, 1/3 prep & 1/3 luck. Good luck to all!