Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #31
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,100
I say spend the $2100, I doubt you'll regret it. I always start with fixing the suspension first, then farkle away after that. I think front and rear Ohlins shocks for my K1300s, came to about $2300 and it was money well spent. I say go for it!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #32
curvecrazy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post
if you want to tear up the corners you probably dont want an FZ1. it just has a really long wheelbase and doesnt feel super flickable. ive heard if you put a taller tire on the FZ it is a little better and balances out speedo error and helps the MPGs a bit. but it is a rocket out of the corner, guaranteed.

The VFR800 is my pick for the best all round motorcycle period but its all preference.

Not really. In stock form it may be somewhat what you describe. Sure. Do a couple cheap mods to it such as different dogbones on the rear suspension, shock rebuild with heavier 10wt oil and cutting the front springs down and installing longer spacers to stiffen the front end and you will end up with a bike that is higher in the rear by an inch or so with better road feel all around and Yes, it will then do corners for sure. Will an outright sportbike beat you in a roundabout? Well, sure, if he is on supersport tires and you are on sport tourer's LOL. No, seriously, that happened to me. And he claimed superiority of his gsxr as the reason when the truth is I let him go cause there was no point taking the sport touring tires [michelin pilot road 1's] past the point of adhesion while he's running it out on top notch squishies. I mean, I just let off a little and right behind him still until he peeled off onto the straight and then I am going by on one wheel! Ha ha. Long bike. Don't handle? LOL You just need to set it up right. There are no peg feelers on mine. Ground right off and into the end of the peg like eons ago. Over 60K miles on her now and still rippin. My commuter. My stunt bike. My go to bike. My do it all bike. I'll say this. You have to be determined and skilled to leave a properly set up FZ1 skillfully piloted on good rubber but even on sport touring tires. Good brakes. Good engine once you clean up the carb. They are sensitive to air filters so keep that clean or replace it every so often if you want it to rip right. Headlights are all that outstanding. fwiw Bike is all day comfortable too. Enjoy.
curvecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #33
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,212
cont. -

Love the Traxxion upgrade, and only did the forks, rear shock was rebuilt not long ago.
Great improvement, riding on "tighter" rails, feels lighter, no more brake dives, falls right into place at every curve and it even ignores rain grooves.
Besides the Russell, this is the second best improvement I've made to the bike.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #34
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
You should also factor in the depreciation hit you are going to take on selling the bike. Have you looked at other options like Ohlins, Racetech?

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #35
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
I don't think I read anything about rider training to improve your bikes capabilities. I had the traxxion fork and shock upgrade done to my 06 fjr and it was an improvement but my stock stuff had 50k miles on them. I also had an 06 fz1 because I too wanted something lighter to flick around. Hated the 06 fz1, bad/hard suspension and totally uncomfortable. FJR is in my opinion one of the best motorcycles out there. It is almost the total package. Canyon carver maybe not but I know some people, check the fjr forum, that really haul ass on theirs. There is no perfect bike and it is man's mission in life to pursue that unobtainable goal. Have fun and ride safe.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
curvecrazy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
No problems with resale value if you pull off the upgrades. The shock can be switched right back out with the oem unit. The aftermarket sold seperate. In fact I just bought a Penske 8983 for my FZ1 that was exactly that situation. It's on the 01 FZ1 now and seems to be head and shoulders over the stocker. Its got ride height adjustability too so I went back to the stock dogbones and raised the rear instead via the shock. Only put 100 miles on her before work but big difference is apparent. The old shock had too light of a spring, was maxed out on the damping and likely due to the too light spring was wallowing around quite a lot. This shock put an end to that. Just literally put it on, set the static sag around 30-35mm and set compression and rebound in the middle of their respective ranges. Ended up clicking in two more clicks of compression and its working pretty good right now. Got the proper recommended spring supposed to be in the mail soon but, heh? Its working pretty good with a spring listed as 25# too heavy. I'm thinking it will only get better.
curvecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon View Post
I say spend the $2100, I doubt you'll regret it. I always start with fixing the suspension first, then farkle away after that. I think front and rear Ohlins shocks for my K1300s, came to about $2300 and it was money well spent. I say go for it!
I agree about money well spent on suspension, however the Ohlins route on my K1200S did not yield the same result that you encountered. Too bad because I liked the bike, except for its suspension.

I have spent money on several other bikes and agree that here the benefits of your hard earned cash are most noticed. If you love the FJR spend the dish and really enjoy the bike. Let me know when I can sign up for a test ride when it is done.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkram View Post
Hello all,

Love my '06 FJR1300A, I've added 12K miles in 7 months of ownership, including a 5,500-mile trip to Calfornia and back over the holiday break. Pros: fast, comfy, good looking. Cons: fat, heavy.

Now, the FJR is a great bike, and it's probably more capable than my skill levels. However, I find myself wanting something lighter and easier to carve corners with. Should I plunk down the money for a full Traxxion suspension with AK20 cartridges and a new rear shock? Would I still be dealing with the on/off characteristic of a shaft-drive mid-turn?

Or sell it and go for another sport-tourer (2nd gen FZ1, VFR800 VTEC) or a sport-bike with hard-luggage and LSL/Spiegler handlebars? Recently rode a Bandit 1250 with Givi luggage, wasn't impressed with handling. Loved a Gen1 FZ1, prob would love an Gen2 FZ1 with suspension & hard luggage.

After three pages of replies, what was your final decision
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #39
superkram OP
Church parking lot rider

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon View Post
After three pages of replies, what was your final decision
Still struggling to answer that one. Just got my tax refund.
superkram is offline   Reply With Quote