NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
40 years ago looks a LOT like rally in this country 10 years ago:

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #872
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
One thing I was going to mention that I forgot:

Your US insurance only covers your vehicle the first 75 or 100mi into Mexico (usually, call to confirm).

If you get bajabound insurance for your race rig you can add theft insurance for your bike. It will cover your bike ONLY when it's in the bed of your truck or trailer.

I think a week for my truck + three bikes was $220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Question from a noobie?

How is security for all of our stuff at the Mexicali hotel? If I'm staying at the HQ hotel, but my bike is going to be in my pickup with various other supporting equipment, etc., am I in trouble? Will I need to have either myself or someone else sleep in the truck each night?
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #873
Idahombre
Likes easy girls!

Oddometer: 72
Ever try to collect? HA! Jokes on you.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #874
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I may have a Support truck in San jaun Nico... Pemix stations.
San jaun Nico, aka: San Juanico
And don't look for the Pemix signs, look for the Pemex signs

I was just down South for many days (actually I'm down there more than 50% of the days)... saw a few car guys who basically said they're prerunning, and one of 'em is on his second time down in the past couple months and I'd say he's driving a high percentage of the course. Oh yeah, he knows.

edit - Oh yeah... !!!!!! !!! !!!!!
Thanks Mike! ;-)

bajaboundmoto screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 08:54 PM
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #875
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Your US insurance only covers your vehicle the first 75 or 100mi into Mexico (usually, call to confirm).
If you get bajabound insurance for your race rig
You should ALWAYS drive Baja with FULL coverage, not Liability only. Really.
Back before Baja Bound Insurance we had a Ford crewbie stolen in Ensenada at a Baja 500 and I was using the company SCORE always suggested - Instant Mex Insure. That was a total nightmare for 6+ months getting what $ I wanted. There are many stories like mine.

Now with Baja Bound Insurance i haven't had to make a claim but I feel confident not only because I know where the owners live ;-) but they are totally into all types of Baja events. They're there having fun with the rest of us.
Geoff from BBI has been at all the Norra events pouring gas for racers in remote spots and he does the same at other races. Oh, and he rides a 450X so he must be hip!
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #876
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,246
you forgot to be all like .... !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #877
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Remote Gas at San Juanico (This is still not 100% )
( spelling??) my bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Patersons will be the ones willing to dump gas for us.
They owend the nice resaurant and bar outside of Loreto that Day 3 started at last year, They are now building a little bar and surf shop in San Juanico.
Please send me a PM with contact info I have 14 teams that I am trying to finish up the details

# 20

BUY FULL COVERAGE from Baja Bound Insurance !!
Truck and BIKE !!!

Baja Dad screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 05:36 PM
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #878
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Some cool steekers that help Johnson357 get to the MX1K start line.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874112
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #879
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Some cool steekers that help Johnson357 get to the MX1K start line.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874112
Thanks Chris........please buy lots, if not I'll have to wash dishes at the Morton house for like 3 months.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #880
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Remote Gas at San Juanico (This is still not 100% )
( spelling??) my bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Patersons will be the ones willing to dump gas for us.
They owend the nice resaurant and bar outside of Loreto that Day 3 started at last year, They are now building a little bar and surf shop in San Juanico.
Del Borracho Mike & Cholie??? I heard Cholie couldn't keep away from cooking and that she was going to start doing a lunch. Stopped by their new house in San Juanico a couple of week ago but they were in Loreto. Really good people.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #881
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Del Borracho Mike & Cholie??? I heard Cholie couldn't keep away from cooking and that she was going to start doing a lunch. Stopped by their new house in San Juanico a couple of week ago but they were in Loreto. Really good people.

Yes SIR !!
Great people.
I am just trying to get a 55 gal drum pump to them.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #882
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I just posted this on RDC, where there's a poll regarding this subject...

Here are the instructions for navigating the 1971 NORRA Mexican 1000 Rally, and a sample from the 1971 roadbook. This came from Mike Pearlman’s box of early off-road racing history. So, this event is indeed “honoring the past” by using roadbooks for navigation. With a few tweaks, those 1971 instructions could apply to using today’s NORRA roadbook.

I do see Marty’s point about making it easy for everyone to find their way. GPS is easy. But is that really in the spirit of Baja racing? Isn’t Baja all about overcoming adversity, dealing with what’s thrown at you, and having a fun adventure while beating all those challenges? Maybe those who are looking for less challenge should enter the NORRA Charity Poker Run instead of the race. The roadbook is just another challenge. You can hate dust, hate bumps and old short-travel vehicles, hate dangerous twisty roads, hate sand, and hate navigation. Or you can embrace those things that challenge you, and have a ton of fun doing it.

Is GPS fun? Do you get to the finish line and say “Wow that was tough navigation, I really accomplished something following that line on the screen.” Although the NORRA roadbooks are pretty simple to follow (with a good odometer, even grandpa could do it), there is still a level of satisfaction and accomplishment when you find your way through each stage. It’s what the guys in the old days had to deal with, long before the days of GPS and a burned in course.

GPS should be added to the list of things that have “Wussified” the sport. I’d be all for the old way of “find your own way to the finish”. Unfortunately, in these days of expanding pavement, private property, locked gates, liabilities, etc., it’s not very practical to do that in Baja. It is possible elsewhere, and the Diabolical Rally will include that and other long-lost elements of early off-road racing, but that’s another subject and another race.

Everyone seems to have their own idea what the meaning of this event should be, and how NORRA should run it. Some say it’s all about honoring the past (old-school, vintage), some say it’s all about having fun (relax, enjoy), some are laser focused on winning at all cost (speed, race). Clearly Mike Pearlman has his own vision, which includes all of the above, plus aspects of rally (stages, roadbook navigation). Personally, I think he’s done a great job creating an event that sets itself apart from all the others. I sure hope he doesn’t give in to those who are afraid of a good, fun, old-school challenge!

Yeah but……

The most important part is the final bullet.

“The route SUGGESTED is not guaranteed to be the fastest or the shortest, but through the process of trial and error we have found this to be our best."

In 71 your road book race was simply a suggested route, you were allowed to take any route you wanted, all you needed to do was pass through all of the checkpoints.

You want a challenge Scott??? Go the way of the National H&H or D-37 desert races. No pre-running no road books telling you what to expect, simply follow the ribbon and course markings. I've done roll charts with no course marking, I've marked course marking only, I've done GPS both with and without pre-running and GPS with and without course marking, each offers a a unique challenge do do at a winning race pace. GPS without pre-running and without course marking is much more challenging than many would expect. Even the largest GPS screens simply don't have resolution and tracking ability at speed to simply keep the arrow on the line. If you come up on a "Y" and the GPS doesn't have both roads (one marked as race course) it is nearly impossible to tell which is the correct until you are way past the "Y" and you see that you have diverged from the correct route. GPS tracking error commonly places you off the track on the screen. I'm NOT a big fan of having to turn around and backtrack hoping that the guy behind you didn't make the same error and you meet him coming the other way.

I tell you what......on the first day, I'm going to really piss you off....I'm going to use the Roadbook AND the GPS to make it as easy as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jajajajajajajajajajaja!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #883
Idahombre
Likes easy girls!

Oddometer: 72
Does anyone know if there is a Pmex in La Purisima, just south of San Juanico? I thought there was a fairly new one there? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #884
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I tell you what......on the first day, I'm going to really piss you off....I'm going to use the Roadbook AND the GPS to make it as easy as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jajajajajajajajajajaja!
I don't see a problem with that. Whatever tools are available and allowed, use them. That's what I did when I raced it the first year. You can get pretty busy watching the GPS, the roadbook, the odometer, and sometimes maybe even the compass heading. Add to that adjusting to the odometer and it gets real interesting.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #885
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahombre View Post
Does anyone know if there is a Pmex in La Purisima, just south of San Juanico? I thought there was a fairly new one there? Thanks.
I do not think so.
( I wish there was )