User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
Clem Kevin OP
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 880
How do I know if I'm making too many points while making a track?

I'm currently planning my GPS tracks on google earth for the TAT, and I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it with the points. Should I only do one for every article on the rollchart, or should I be doing one for every direction change (like I have been?) I'm a total n00b to this.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,144
Well, since no one else has ventured to assist, I'll make an attempt:

Check the specs of your unit to see how many tracks it will hold.

Are you using MapSource or BaseCamp, and City Navigator?

Assuming so ... use waypoints to mark individual, specific locations on the route.

Make multiple individual track lines along the route that have a maximum of 500 track points (not waypoints) each.

Verify in Google Earth that each track line goes where it should; don't assume Garmin's routing programs are current and accurate, for often they are not.

Name each track in order, perhaps numerically followed by a placename.

Hope this is of some help help ...

byways screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 11:57 AM Reason: add information
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Clem Kevin OP
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Well, since no one else has ventured to assist, I'll make an attempt:

Are you using MapSource or BaseCamp, and City Navigator?

Assuming so ... use waypoints to mark individual, specific locations on the route.

Make track lines along the route that have a maximum of 500 track points (not waypoints) each.

Verify in Google Earth that each track line goes where it should; don't assume Garmin's routing programs are current and accurate, for often they are not.

Name each track in order, perhaps numerically followed by a placename.

Check the specs of your unit to see how many tracks it will hold.

Hope this is of some help help ...
I'm making tracks on google earth to convert for mapsource to use on my garmin 60csx. I'm pretty GPS dumb.

How specific do I want to get with individual, specific locations? I feel like I may be a bit excessive and for every major bend in the road I make points, here's an example:
Old 04-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
byways
byways

I make the tracks in MapSource or BaseCamp first, then use the "View" menu/View in Google Earth command to verify that it is correct. Then I load the track(s) to my device from MapSource or BaseCamp.

I'm not familiar with making tracks in GE first. Perhaps I should give that a try.

As for how many track points, and track points that conform to bends in the road ... my approach is not to try to match the bend perfectly. That uses up a lot of track-point capacity. I place just enough track points to maintain reasonable fidelity to the road I must follow.

That said, I find it easier to edit a track that has more points, placed at shorter intervals, than it is to edit tracks that have fewer points placed far apart, using the "track divide" and "track erase" tools.

Typically (Dissenters: Feel free to chime in with your exceptions ...) in my experience the road and way to go is obvious on the ground. Minor deviations between the track line and what I see on the ground don't lead me astray.

You may want to strive for a guiding track, not a "railroad" track (figuratively speaking). Yet of course you want it to be as close as you can make to what you will find on the ground.

Also, on such a long journey, you will want to have available adequate waypoint capacity to make waypoints as you travel, for points of interest along the way.

Know your unit's waypoint capacity as well as its track and track-point capacity. Older units are much more limited than newer units.

byways screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 04:56 PM
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Your Garmin 60 can handle 20 tracks at 500 points each.

So if your track length is say 100 miles, this is .2 mi/point.

I think I replied to you in the Trip Planning forum.

As noted above I would say that most of us do not create tracks this way. But it certainly looks interesting.

Before you go too far, I would recommend downloading one of your tracks to your 60 and see if the process works.

On the one hand you don't need to have every inflection in the road. The key is to have enough points so you do not make wrong turns or miss turns.

On the other hand it is very satisfying to have the track overlay the road and the planned track when you look down at the unit. It usually freaks me out a little when I look down and see that I am off the planned track.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
byways
byways

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Before you go too far, I would recommend downloading one of your tracks to your 60 and see if the process works
Excellent advice!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Clem Kevin OP
Nude With Boots

Thanks for the good advice guys, I'll take as much as you've got.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
If you are going to load these GE tracks into MapSource or BaseCamp, it really doesn't matter that much how many track points you create (draw) in GE. You can filter the Track in either MapSource or BaseCamp to the required limit for your GPS (GPSMAP 60) - which in this case is 500pts. So, putting more points in the "corners" will give you a more accurate "filtered" track if you use "auto" filtering in the applications mentioned (MS & BC).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,099
So, I used a TAT route that had more than 50 waypoints and the montanna said it can only recognize 50 at a time. Therefore I deleted a few in the middle and all was good.

Are you saying that if I didn't convert it from a track to a route that I would have been fine? Are there other downsides or upsides in the track vs route option?
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
So, I used a TAT route that had more than 50 waypoints and the montanna said it can only recognize 50 at a time. Therefore I deleted a few in the middle and all was good.

Are you saying that if I didn't convert it from a track to a route that I would have been fine? Are there other downsides or upsides in the track vs route option?
There are many other threads on making Tracks & Routes.

Yes for something like TAT, CDR, & GWT it is much safer to make Tracks that are fixed in cement with no posibility of auto reroute screw ups.

Many people also make a Route but you only need enough waypoints (vias) to make it autoroute correct when you activate it in GPS. Route can be helpful if you deviate or get lost and need to auto route back to next destination.