ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #871
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Is Dan's the place on the North Side of the road past the gas station? If it is, I'd completely agree, not so good. When we road thru there last fall the place at the RV spot on the Eel was closed. Also suprised at how expensive the fuel was.
It would have been interesting to see your SPOT track but looks like you took it down - did you try to go out of Paskenta or did you go thru Willows?
It is just past the gas station next to the fire department. We left out of Chico and rode through Orland then south on co rd 306. Then went in at 313 (M9). When we came out we were closer to Willows so we came back that route.

I sent you the link to my Inreach mapshare. You may have to change the date to Monday 4/8.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #872
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,285
Ive been through Covelo a few times,the market has a deli that makes a decent sandwich. There's a dirt road that heads out the north side of town
and goes to either Garberville or veer right to hiway 36 coming out on Van Duzen road,good lunch in Mad River on 36.

From Mad River, Mountain road 1 heads to hiway 299 with dirt roads off of it,Mt Rd 1 itself is 55 miles of uphill/downhill sweepers and hairpins on rough pavemento.

Also there's a dirt road taking off to the right when leaving Covelo towards the coast,it comes out in Laytonville,2 miles to the south of Laytonville there's a sketchy dirt road that comes out by Fort Bragg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I drug the DR650 out of the shed yesterday,put the knobby tired stock wheels back on it,then rode to Red Bluff and Hogsback road,then to Ponderosa way and Cohassett,nice 85 miles of sliding and bouncing through rocks and gravel. Ishi road looks interesting,lots of offshoot gravel roads heading off Hogsback.

DR is heavy but steady,just chugs it's way along and is a great sightseeing bike,lots of water at Mill Creek,hardly any people out that way in cars.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #873
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive been through Covelo a few times,the market has a deli that makes a decent sandwich. There's a dirt road that heads out the north side of town
and goes to either Garberville or veer right to hiway 36 coming out on Van Duzen road,good lunch in Mad River on 36.

From Mad River, Mountain road 1 heads to hiway 299 with dirt roads off of it,Mt Rd 1 itself is 55 miles of uphill/downhill sweepers and hairpins on rough pavemento.

Also there's a dirt road taking off to the right when leaving Covelo towards the coast,it comes out in Laytonville,2 miles to the south of Laytonville there's a sketchy dirt road that comes out by Fort Bragg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I drug the DR650 out of the shed yesterday,put the knobby tired stock wheels back on it,then rode to Red Bluff and Hogsback road,then to Ponderosa way and Cohassett,nice 85 miles of sliding and bouncing through rocks and gravel. Ishi road looks interesting,lots of offshoot gravel roads heading off Hogsback.

DR is heavy but steady,just chugs it's way along and is a great sightseeing bike,lots of water at Mill Creek,hardly any people out that way in cars.
I checked my phone...I didn't see any missed calls... Glad you got out and saw some dirt. I have tomorrow off if you want to ride.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #874
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I checked my phone...I didn't see any missed calls... Glad you got out and saw some dirt. I have tomorrow off if you want to ride.
I gotta work some,also getting ready for a desert trip this weekend with the 200. I WOULD like to get out and check out some of the other dirt roads off Ponderosa and Hogsback pretty soon.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #875
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice!! Enjoy your trip. Taking the first week of May off, definataly going to be exploring all week. Keep in touch.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #876
6xp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Paskenta-Salt Creek

I've been wanting to ride the M4 area west of Salt Creek Camp some time this week. If any one would like to ride let me know.

6XP
6xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #877
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Nice!! Enjoy your trip. Taking the first week of May off, definataly going to be exploring all week. Keep in touch.
Excellent! Great time of year to be out and about.
We'll have to get a ride together.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #878
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xp View Post
I've been wanting to ride the M4 area west of Salt Creek Camp some time this week. If any one would like to ride let me know.

6XP
Was just up there yesterday. It is quite beautiful. We actually rode the M9 up to just past Log Springs station where it turns into the M4. There is 2 large trees on the M4. One has a go-around and 1 is a go-over, to make it to the pass. We opted to turn around at the first tree as we were short on time to begin with and do a little exploring. We headed back past the Log Springs turn and towards Paskenta. Sign said 30 Miles. Found a turnoff on the way down that connected back to the M9. Came back through Paskenta and Corning...Hell of a day..I'm game to head that way anytime, just shoot me a PM.

...Even got to ride my friends GS for a bit, Holy Crap is that a fun bike

BanhXeo screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 11:41 PM
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #879
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,698
Thumb Nice

Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #880
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Was just up there yesterday. It is quite beautiful. We actually rode the M9 up to just past Log Springs station where it turns into the M4. There is 2 large trees on the M4. One has a go-around and 1 is a go-over, to make it to the pass. We opted to turn around at the first tree as we were short on time to begin with and do a little exploring. We headed back past the Log Springs turn and towards Paskenta. Sign said 30 Miles. Found a turnoff on the way down that connected back to the M9. Came back through Paskenta and Corning...Hell of a day..I'm game to head that way anytime, just shoot me a PM.

...Even got to ride my friends GS for a bit, Holy Crap is that a fun bike
Just by chance,I know some trails out that way,mostly off of road 313 and Ive heard there are others. We used to drag dirtbikes out to Hull Rd/road 313 and unload at about 3500' and ride singletrack all over the place.

When you want to try some Ragdump singletrack I know every trail up that way,including some brand new ones. Put the stock tank on the 350,take any extras off and you have a great singletrack bike!
My 200XCW is the ultimate cheater bike up that way.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #881
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xp View Post

6XP
If you can wait until Saturday, I'm stoked to go. Still want to make it out to Anthony Peak this month!

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #882
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
upcoming Trials event

April 27th and 28th out west of Willows.
North end of 306, about 1 mile short.
if your coming in past black butte lake it is ! mile south after you turn on 306.

www.sactopits.org

you can get directions and all the info on a flyer.
It is the Rocky Ridge Trial.

come watch, sign a release at the sign up table and tell them Hop-Sing invited you. that's your free ticket. If you really want to step up give me a PM and I will put you to work as an Official Checker, No pay but a free lunch. last about 4 hours. sing ups on Saturday are at 11 am and Sunday at 9 am if you plan on working you will have to be there a bit earlier so I can get you set up.

Hope to see some of you local ADV riders show up. Dry camping available.
Any donation would be accepted but not required.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #883
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
trials location

I could not find the location of the trials event using Google maps and the Pits website only shows the front page of the flyer, with the map being on the back. Any better directions? Thanks, JB

I'll send Pits a note also. well, i was not able to figure out a way to email them.

jbcaddy screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 08:14 AM
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #884
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

I show the flyer listing the event at 4683 Co rd. 306 Chrome, Ca. Chrome is probably 8 miles north of Elk Creek and 3 miles south of Newville Rd/county rd 306. Chrome has a population of 13. So don't blink. Hop Sing Ill try to make it out there Sunday morning, sounds fun!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #885
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Yea, I know where Chrome is, but I am trying to get some friends from out of the area to come out. They are wanting more info than I can give them. I am going to try and load my dad up in the car so we both can enjoy the day. I'll just look for signs as we try to not get lost in the big city of Chrome
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote