Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #151
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Brad thanks for posting. I had a great time near this bridge in '91 while attending EIU. This will be a must visit in April when I will be going to Moonshine.

Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #152
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kickapoo Creek Bridge

Here we have a closed-spandrel arch bridge over Kickapoo creek on TR 197, 1 mi. south of the Coles Airport in Coles county. This bridge was built in 1909 and is open for all traffic with a total length: 49.8 ft and deck width: 14.1 ft.

Brad
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #153
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Flat Creek Bridge

The last bridge i photographed in Coles county was the Flat Creek Bridge. This is a pin-connected, 5-panel Pratt pony truss bridge over Flat Creek on TR 53, .5 mi. west of Humboldt. This bridge was built in 1895 and is open to traffic with a total length: 60.3 ft. and deck width: 13.4 ft.

Brad
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #154
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Unknown Bridge

It is amazing what can be seen when the trees are not full of leaves! This winter while riding about a half hour from home, I noticed an old through truss bridge less than 75 yards west of the road. I have been past here dozens of times in the last 30 years, yet have never seen this bridge. There is no record of this bridge on BRIDGEHUNTER.com nor any of the other bridge sites I am aware of. The bridge is approximatly 4 miles north east of Waynesville in Dewitt county and crosses the Kickapoo creek. If anyone has some information about this bridge please post up here.

Brad
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #155
Chris-KH2PM
KLXer

Oddometer: 4
This is a great ongoing topic. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing all of the information, LAT/LONG, and pictures. It's interesting putting the coordinates in Google Earth and finding these. Particularly the railroad bridges that are no longer in use. You can zoom out and see where the old railroad right of way went.

I'm subscribed!
Chris-KH2PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #156
nickmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv View Post
A few miles east of Cowden in Shelby County, the Thompson Mill Covered Bridge crosses the Kaskaskia River. It was completed in 1868 at the cost of $2,500, which was a ridiculous amount of money back then and caused much controversy. In 1868 you could buy a nice house and 100 acres of land for $250. This wonderfully restored piece of Illinois history is located on a once important route between Effingham and Springfield. It's named for the owner of a mill that was located near the bridge.

I just thought I'd drop in and let you know that I work with a girl whose family owned the mill, surrounding land, and is the namesake for the mill and bridge. Her family still owns a fair amount of the ajacent land. Her grandfather who was nicknamed rooster, and went by "roost" carved his name in the bridge. You can see it in the last photo on the support to the left of "Kate + John".

I knew she was from Cowden, so I asked about the bridge when I came across the pictures in your thread. She proceeded to tell me all about the bridge and mill.

Great thread! It is a small world.
nickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #157
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmo View Post
I just thought I'd drop in and let you know that I work with a girl whose family owned the mill, surrounding land, and is the namesake for the mill and bridge. Her family still owns a fair amount of the ajacent land. Her grandfather who was nicknamed rooster, and went by "roost" carved his name in the bridge. You can see it in the last photo on the support to the left of "Kate + John".

I knew she was from Cowden, so I asked about the bridge when I came across the pictures in your thread. She proceeded to tell me all about the bridge and mill.

Great thread! It is a small world.

That is VERY interesting!! Thank you for adding to the history of this old bridge!

Brad
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #158
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-KH2PM View Post
This is a great ongoing topic. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing all of the information, LAT/LONG, and pictures. It's interesting putting the coordinates in Google Earth and finding these. Particularly the railroad bridges that are no longer in use. You can zoom out and see where the old railroad right of way went.

I'm subscribed!

Before I accidently ran across BRIDGEHUNTER.com I would use Google Earth to search for these bridges. I would zoom in on creeks/rivers and run up/down stream untill I located a structure. I would then save the gps coordinates and place them in my Garmin and follow the directions to the bridge.
Im glad you are enjoying this thread.

Brad
Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #159
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Knox County

I had been to the WOLF covered bridge several times in the past, but never had a camera with me. Yesterday the weather was beautiful and my wife had plans for most of the day, so I decided to ride to Knox county and photograph this and one other old bridge.

The Wolf Covered Bridge was built in the 1840s. Originally, it just had a wooden deck. The cover was added in 1874. The structure was 234 feet in length and had a span of 102 feet. It was 11 feet wide, leaving room for just one lane of traffic.
On Aug. 1, 1994, the bridge was destroyed by fire. When firefighters arrived, all that remained of the bridge were the approaches. It had apparently been burning all night, but the call did not come in until 8:05 a.m. A witness reported seeing a glow in the sky at 3 a.m. but nothing was reported at that time.
Three teenage boys were arrested for arson. They allegedly confessed to investigators they were high on blotter acid, a form of LSD, and present when papers were set on fire inside the bridge. After a lengthy trial, the juveniles were found guilty on lesser charges and placed on probation. All were under-age at the time of the fire.
The Illinois Department of Transportation started rebuilding the bridge in July 1998. It was expected to be finished by December, but a shortage of timber delayed work until spring. The new bridge is a replica of the old bridge and cost around $900,000 to complete. The new bridge was completed in September 1999 and a grand opening ceremony was held on Sept. 25.

Howe through truss bridge over Spoon river on county road 17 with a total length of 233.9 feet and deck width of 11.5 feet.

Brad
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #160
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
And this thread is how we got hooked on old bridges! I am starting to fall behind. I have got to get a calling card!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #161
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzx1000r View Post
And this thread is how we got hooked on old bridges! I am starting to fall behind. I have got to get a calling card!

Kim,
The calling card is a really neat idea, but I cannot take credit for it. I kinda stole the idea from Cannonshot.

Brad
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #162
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Walnut Creek Bridge

Up next is the Walnut Creek Bridge. This is a riveted, 5-panel Pratt pony truss bridge SE of Altona, over Walnut Creek on TR 254. This bridge is on a dirt (or mud if it is wet) road. The bridge has a concrete floor with a total length: 74.1 ft. and deck width of: 13.1 ft.

Brad
Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #163
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Great to see you're still looking for these...

Been away for awhile. Now that I'm back I've managed to find this thread again. Love to see the pics of the area and bridges that are close to home. I have high hopes of finding some in future trips myself. Thanks for sharing..
Ride safe there man..
Ken
Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #164
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56
Stumbled upon the Sangamon river bridge in Piatt county today, mentioned earlier in this thread, I have rode down Lickskillet road many times and never knew it was there.

Nice old bridge, the guys camping and drinking beer said it was open till just a few years ago.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #165
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was out riding this afternoon and ended up in Ford county and ran across an old iron bridge i had not yet photographed. This bridge was built across Kelly Creek on E3000N road in 1926, but has been abandoned for many years.