Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,128
South West Western Australia ride

21/22 of april 07
The weekend is here and I have a bunch of new camping equipment and an urge to hit the road, only problem is no baby sitter (for our two Boxer dogs). So it is going to be a quick trip, feed the dogs a double portion and pack the bike and head out Saturday lunchtime. (I left a bunch of hidden treats around the place for them to find if they got hungry enough and an extra couple of buckets of water). We would be back after lunch Sunday some time so I figured the biggest problem would be them missing us ( I am very close to my dogs and they are pretty much with me 24/7 unless I am on the bike). The trip plan was as follows: Leave Yallingup, (in the Margret River region of the South West of Western Australia) and head down the coast to Margaret River, stop in and check the surf (world famous big wave surf down this coast) as the swell was cranking this weekend. Then head down through the Karri forest to Borranup and camp there for the night. Then in the morning head to Hamelin Bay, Augusta, check out some other camp spots along the Blackwood River for future reference and then head home the long way via Brookton Highway and Sues Road, then through Busselton and Dunsborough and back home to Yallingup.

Leaving home, Wife (Mel) and a packed up Dakar:

It was pretty good weather when we headed off, a bit of wind around, but this coast is one of the windiest in the world and it is always blowing itís guts out- you get used to it, you just are never really happy about it! So we head down to check the waves at Yallingup first, it is a reasonable size and there are a few crew out, much rather be on the bike today.
Yallingup main break on another day:

On the road again and heading down Caves Road going south. This region is not only famous for itís surf but also its wines. I will do a Ďwine rideí report one day as it is definitely very scenic in this region and a lot of money and effort has been put into these wineries. So we head on down past dozens of these wineries all chock full of tourists (terrorists to the locals) all eager to get their full of free wine and all the other gourmet goodies that go along with it- cheeses, chocolate, coffee, olives, etc) I am happy to say that there is also a rapidly developing boutique brewerie industry down here as well, for all of us not so cultured beer drinkers. Donít get me wrong, I like a good Cab Merlot as much as the next guy, but beer is KING!

Lawrences winery:

Caves road is a great ride, lots of twists and turns, a high speed limit and it goes for miles, as with anywhere in this area you just have to look out for kamakazi kangaroos , snap happy Jappies on holiday and the occasional stoned hippy combi driving surfer , who is still Ďexperiencingí his last barrel (or bong, as the case may be). On the whole a nice road to ride. There are heaps of beaches to turn off and explore and lots of dirt tracks ranging from mild to very wild for the biker. I will also do a ride report on the beaches of this stretch of coast as soon as my helmet cam turns up . I think it is better to see in motion how beautiful the coast is here and NB has inspired me to do some editing after watching his Moab movie, which set the bar very high! (on www.f650.com the Chain Gang web site)

Margaret River Mainbreak very blownout:

It is a beautiful stretch of forest south of Margaret River and the following photos really donít do it justice, majestic is a word that comes to mind.

The Karri forest:

Me in the Karri trees:

Wifee in the forest:

The road through Boranup forest is all dirt, most of it pretty good condition, but some of it has rocks busting through the surface and washouts. The side tracks are the fun ones, overgrown and rocky with little chance of encoutering 4WD'S hurtling at you from the opposite direction! It was a bit of a challenge riding two up with panniers full of camping gear. You canít help enjoying riding through here though it is so beautiful. I could have been riding a Hardley with a mob of sweaty, midget Hells Angels riding pillion and I still would have had a smile on my face . (No offence to any vertically challenged one percenters out there )

Dirt road through the forest:

We came upon the campsite just as the sun was setting through the trees so we pulled out the tent and set it up asap and headed off to the fire wood pile (which had been heavily raided as this was the last weekend of school holidays and everyman and his, canít say dog as this is no dog zone, had been through here). A guy in the neighbouring camp site offered us a few big logs and we scrounged some kindling off the ground. Oh and my nice cold beer had made an appearance somewhere druing this time as well (who says you cant have an esky on your bike, well at least a small one ). I had bought a bunch of new camping gear from Kathmandu when they had their annual sale and one of the things I got was this awesome little butane cooker, it is not much bigger than a box of matches and does a Transformers gig and becomes a great little stove. We had some vegetarian Indian food in a camp cooking sachet and some instant rice, had a great meal, next time I think I will bring poppadams as well and try cooking them on the fire. A couple more beers for me (whoops, I left Melís orange juice at home! Bad husbandÖ wanna beer Mel? ) and then we hit the hay. We ate some chocolate whilst we watched some Dakar footage and Torque on the Achos mp4 player (very lame movie but wanted to keep it a bike themed weekend). I know it is pathetic taking video away camping and all, but we are techno junkies and like our gadgets!

The camp fire:

Morning came soon enough (as it always does when you are camping, note to self remember the sleep mask next time). I always enjoy watching the sun rise through the fog in the forest, I have a lot of good memories of this.

Morning in the forest:

Pack the kit away and on the bike, we decided to head to Augusta bakery for brekkie, but we had a quick stop off to look at the coast at Hamelin Bay first.

Hamelin Bay beach and Salmon fishermen:

Boranup Beach from lookout near camp site:

Back on the bike and off to Augusta. This is a really pretty place and has that sleepy holiday town feel about it. The bakery is great and we had our fill and headed off to check out the sights. We hadnít been down here for a while and had been planning on bringing the boat down to do some wakeboarding on the Blackwood River , so we checked out the boat ramps. It is a boaties paradise here with the river and the ocean available all in the centre of town. Augusta sits on the calm side of a cape, so the ocean is fairly protected here, whilst on the other side of the cape it can be 20 foot plus surf. We checked out a few beaches and looked at a few holiday houses for sale and then had to think about being on our way as we had a fair distance to cover and some hungry dogs waiting at home .

Augusta beaches:

Augusta- The Blackwood River mouth and boat ramps:

Heading out of Augusta and up Bussell Highway we reached the turn off to Brookton Highway. This is a really good road, wide in great condition, very scenic and lots of high speed twist and turns. Today however the wind had really picked up and we were getting blasted every time we hit some cleared stretches of pasture land, we went from vertical to about a constant 10 degree lean into the wind. Luckily this didnít last more than half an hour and we were back in solid bush. We came to a really good camp site and had a look-see. It had a little jetty to launch kayaks and small boats from. There were also some dirt tracks around here that we explored, if fact a LOT of tracks around here and I need to come back on my own for further investigation, maybe a camping weekend with some of the AdvRider boys?

Campsites:

Wifee getting sleepy, she needs a coffee:

Dirt!:

The camera battery went flat about here and although there was some more great scenery around this area and on our blast homewards along Sues Road, I have proabably used up enough bandwidth already!
We left Sues Road and turned off to Busselton to get a coffee and chill by the beach for a while before the 30min ride back to Yallingup. I will post some a short ride report of our last trip to Nannup sometime on the weekend and it has a bit of Sues Road to Busso on it for anyone who is really interested.
All in all a good short weekend trip and one with lots of potential to expand upon!

Busselton and a coffee (got one more pic out of battery):
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Archie55
Greybeard Aussie

Oddometer: 87
That's beautiful country, Rhino. You're really lucky you live so close.

I've done it by car, but never by bike. .....Come on spring!...........

Thanks for the photos and story. One ask - make the photos bigger. The scenery deserves it.

I look forward to the Nannup trip. That's just about my favourite SW area.
Archie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Bicks
Bicks

Oddometer: 71
Great report.
It's great to see so many people (like Yourself) stopping for pic's along the way to share with others. Looks like a great place to live (and ride)
Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie55
One ask - make the photos bigger.
My one ask is to leave them as they are... I'm on dial up and monster photo's mean that I sit here for ages waiting for the pics to download .

I get to read and view the pics at almost the same time with them at your size.

Great report look forward to more from the west

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,360
Excellent report and pics!! Thanks for sharing
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Rides like a girl
R1100GS

Oddometer: 16
Eek Wino?brew run!

Pm when you 'do" the wine ride Cheers!
Rides like a girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
copout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
thanks for a great RR. I have never ridden the tracks through Boranup. But will thanks to you. Brockman Hwy is a rip snorter. Good pavement, wide and well paved.... my first 200+ kph road on my old Tiger 1050.

Loking forward to your wine tour RR

Current Bikes:
1999 VT1100 C3 Aero
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100....and hopefully a new thumper soon!
copout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,128
Oh those young innocent days... how corrupted I have become and how life has changed... Nice to read my own report from years ago!
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote