User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #14566
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
[QUOTE=Ladder106;

How the dirt got past the filter is still a bit of a mystery. There was no evidence of it in the air tube, just a bit in the airbox so I'm assuming it either passed through the K&N or got around it somehow.

[/QUOTE]

G'day Ray,

When I bought my TA (10 years ago now..) the little oil drain plug in the bottom of the collector box fell out. At the time I didn't realise there was meant to be a plug in there. At the time I lived in Western NSW. Most of the riding was sand and bulldust (powder). That engine was pretty much destroyed from dust entry. It was still a running engine - but using nearly 2 Litres (0.5 Gal) oil per 1000km (600 Miles).

I secured a second hand replacement engine. Rebuilt the top end, and spent a couple of days porting & polishing the heads. Fitted a new K&N filter. It fitted well, and never suspected any problem with sealing at either end. After a days ride, I pulled the filter to check / clean. I was mortified to find fine dust trace on the mesh screen. I checked and re-checked the integrity of the sealing surfaces. Checked the contact with a light film of grease - ok.

Since then, the K&N is sitting in a cupboard - on the off chance I do a bitumen track day.

I checked on an old Yahoo Honda V-Twin group. I couple of guys who had done big miles on TA's had also had similar experiences with K&N's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #14567
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Seems as though - because they are meant to fit a "price point" - most standard shocks are rubbish. Yes , you can get CR250. AT shocks, old KLR shocks etc. that fit but then you're changing springs and to think that the CR250 valving is correct for a long travel TA is like thinking you'll win the national lottery just by buying a ticket.

In the long run, you'll be money ahead by saving up for a quality piece.
I knew you'd say that. Thanks. I'll start saving.
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #14568
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Dan,

Thanks for that. I didn't want to slam the K&N but I can't find any other path the dirt would be taking. I'll not use it in future.

Also, and this is IMPORTANT. I somehow still did not realize that the small drain plug on the bottom of the oil separator is so IMPORTANT.

Thinking about it.......if it gets lost or knocked off on a rock, your airbox downstream of the filter is open to the outside air.

I'm going to (a) shorten the drain tube so it's not hanging down so far and (b) put a real hose clamp on the end to make certain the plug stays put.

Glad you mentioned it.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #14569
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Of course it's discontinued

So I've been going over my new 89 TransAlp and stumbled upon an oil line bolt that looks like it's one turn away from snapping off inside the head. This is precisely why everyone should always use a torque wrench when working on engines!

Anyway, it's a 7x26.5 banjo-type bolt for the oil line to the front cylinder head, part # 90085-MF5-000. It's discontinued. A few places have it "in stock" but really they don't, and will refund you when you order it.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to find a new one?

Thanks
bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #14570
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Try the over-seas guys.

David Silver Spares from the UK

CMS (cms.nl) in the Netherlands

Also a really good Honda shop should be able to cross-ref that PN. I'll bet lots of other Hondas used it. Try the VT 500 twins and 700 Shadow.

Other guys who know Hondas better should also have some suggestions.

You can also maybe search for the part alone since other machines used banjo bolts.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #14571
bartender
Jack of all trades

Honda used this bolt on a bunch of the small V-twins in the late 80's, including the NT650. Somehow Honda discontinued this part across the board without issuing a replacement part. Very frustrating.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #14572
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Can it be replicated on a lathe?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #14573
dani_d
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Transalps strange engine sound

Hello!

I own two TA's and both of them developed weird sounds The first one is a 1988 Transalp, with 44k original miles(70.000 km's). The strange noise appeared around the 30k mile mark and it has gotten progressively worse.

This is the recording, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lh7IX0TR4

What has been done:
- removed valve lash (noise remains unchanged)
- adjusted valves to specs
- timing chain wear inspection (4.0/4.5mm front/rear, both under the 6.0mm service limit)
- manually put more tension on the timing chains, by pushing the tensioner's blades further down. The engine sound has improved a bit, only lower pitched sounds are audible now. Rechecked the wear indicators and they now show 4.7mm, respectively 5.2mm. At the moment, I would say that the noises come 70% from the rear cylinder's timing side and 30% from the front cylinder's timing side.

Both timing chains are the original DID's (only '87 and '88 used DID).

==========================

The second one is a 1991 Transalp, with what I assume to be 70-100k miles. I can hear two distinct sounds, the "click, click" and a lower pitched one that seems to be the beginning of a timing chain rattle. For the "click, click" I can tell you that it's coming EXACTLY from the rear cylinder's exhaust downpipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psv6WvcqZlY

What has been done:
- remove valve lash (noise remains unchanged)
- adjust valves to specs
- timing chain wear inspection (3.4/3.9mm front/rear, both under the 6.0mm service limit)
- front cylinder is solid, all sounds come from the rear cylinder's timing side.

Both timing chains are Borg Warner - Morse ('89 onwards had them)
I have yet to manually tension the chains on this one but will do so as soon as I can and keep you posted. For both bikes I am pretty sure that a timing component is to blame but I am also thinking of small end issues, worn ring grooves, etc.

I would like to ask you to take a listen and give me your opinion.
dani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #14574
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
My 2 cents.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyclam View Post
I knew you'd say that. Thanks. I'll start saving.
Give my friend Rick a call at.....motocd.com.....he can help and you may not have to save as much.
I use a Moab shock on my TA, works very well..........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #14575
bartender
Jack of all trades

Tracked down a dealer in Cincinnati that had 3 bolts in stock, so I bought all 3!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #14576
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,886
The same bolt is used on the rear cylinder head for the same oil line.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #14577
bartender
Jack of all trades

As far as I can tell Honda has discontinued that bolt across their entire line of engines that used it. That includes the NT650, VT500, and VT600 along with the TransAlp. I haven't been able to find a different part # from any other models either. Maybe I didn't look in the right places, who knows. I found some, so I'm cool. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #14578
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,886
I meant that you might need two of them just for your bike. I still don't see why the one on your front cylinder is cracked and failing? Has someone had the oil line off? If so you might like to check the one on the rear cylinder to.

And I agree, they make torque wrenches for a reason, you would be surprised how many Transalps I have worked on with incorrect torque values and many in the wrong direction. Oil filters installed as if they were head bolts, triple clamp bolts barely tightened, that kind of thing.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #14579
bartender
Jack of all trades

Yep, the PO had replaced the head gasket. Naturally I don't trust others work, so I took a look to make sure everything was good, which is how I found the twisted bolt. PO had put only 1 of the 2 required crush washers on also, which is probably why he tightened the crap out of it.

Went over the rear cylinder already, everything looks good. We'll see when the new parts arrive.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14580
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender View Post
So I've been going over my new 89 TransAlp and stumbled upon an oil line bolt that looks like it's one turn away from snapping off inside the head. This is precisely why everyone should always use a torque wrench when working on engines!

Anyway, it's a 7x26.5 banjo-type bolt for the oil line to the front cylinder head, part # . It's discontinued. A few places have it "in stock" but really they don't, and will refund you when you order it.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to find a new one?

Thanks
FYI
That's a good # with Honda Canada.

QUANTITYPARTCATEGORYYOUR PRICE
BOLT (7X26.5)
(90085-MF5-000)
Motorcycles Call for Price