Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #151
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
This beans test got me thinking.

When I bought them I measured my Magadan bags l x w x h as you would a rigid box and got 24L, similar to my calcs on Siskiyous (see earlier).

But the other day I managed to fill one with no less than 40 litres of water in the waterproof liner, roll it all up and clip the bag shut.

So I've learned something new: a cube is different, but the dimensions of a flexible suitcase-shaped box (aka: soft moto pannier) cannot be compared with a rigid box of the same size.
That is something to think about if comparing hard vs soft volumes by dimensions alone.

There's more here.

Chris S screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #152
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,086
Chris,

That is a great article contrasting the dimensional differences of rigid vs soft luggage! Thanks for giving the subject some scientific attention.

Clearly, the soft equipment continues to prove its mettle against metal.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #153
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
But the other day I managed to fill one with no less than 40 litres of water in the waterproof liner, roll it all up and clip the bag shut.

So I've learned something new: a cube is different but the dimensions of a flexible suitcase-shaped box (aka: soft moto pannier) cannot be compared with a rigid box of the same size.
That is something to think about if comparing hard vs soft volumes by dimensions alone.
Nice! Have you revised your comparison chart to reflect volume as measured with water in all bags? Have you had the opportunity to ride with all of the bags in your comparison?

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 01:27 PM
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #154
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post

When I bought them I measured my Magadan bags l x w x h as you would a rigid box and got 24L, similar to my calcs on Siskiyous (see earlier).

So I've learned something new: a cube is different but the dimensions of a flexible suitcase-shaped box (aka: soft moto pannier) cannot be compared with a rigid box of the same size.

There's more here.
Nice experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Nice! Have you revised your comparison chart to reflect volume as measured with water in all bags? Have had the opportunity to ride with all of the bags in your comparison?
This would be most excellent to know - and timely - as I'm on the fence right now in regards to soft luggage. It's like it's going to be either the GL Siskiyous, Magadans, or WM Rocky Mountains for my 650X. I already have the rack.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #155
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fort Rock Top Case - Corrected Volume 85.5 Liters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawker View Post
Giant Loop, plus all the other advertisers that I have seen, say the capacity on the "Fort Rock Tail Bag" is 120 liters. I just purchased one and I would say "no way". Has anyone actually measured these things. The "Siskiyou" panniers are 35 liters a side (70 liters total) and they look to hold more than the Fort Rock. Looks more like the same capacity as the "Great Basin" to me, interestingly about the same price as the Great Basin as well.
WE STAND CORRECTED! With apologies and egg on my face, the corrected volume of the final production model Fort Rock Top Case is 85.5 liters (using beans as our measuring medium). Just updated our website. My 120-liter figure was based on an earlier prototype bag, which was boxier in shape and wider on both sides. I neglected to update the specs.

Please return your Fort Rock Top Case for a full refund if you are not completely 100% satisfied.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #156
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
This would be most excellent to know - and timely - as I'm on the fence right now in regards to soft luggage. It's like it's going to be either the GL Siskiyous, Magadans, or WM Rocky Mountains for my 650X. I already have the rack.
You're not alone there
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #157
dhawker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I knew it!!! I may be old, but my eyes haven't failed me yet. Thanks for your honesty, I didn't think they could be 120 liters. Love the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
WE STAND CORRECTED! With apologies and egg on my face, the corrected volume of the final production model Fort Rock Top Case is 85.5 liters (using beans as our measuring medium). Just updated our website. My 120-liter figure was based on an earlier prototype bag, which was boxier in shape and wider on both sides. I neglected to update the specs.

Please return your Fort Rock Top Case for a full refund if you are not completely 100% satisfied.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #158
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Thanks Snow j and men.

Quote:
Have you revised your comparison chart to reflect volume as measured with water in all bags?
As of this edit - yes. See here.

I bet there is some formula to calculate potential maximum volume under deformation of a flexible rectilinear container. And I bet its been known for as long as saddlebags have been made.

Quote:
Have you had the opportunity to ride with all of the bags in your comparison?
No - some like yours were just review loans (Wolfman EDS reviewed also, but did not list); Kriega's were on a mate's bike. The other three I did- or do own.
So, to clarify the maths, that is 3 out of 5 in the table owned and used - and yet a 'Harold Olaf Cecil' still made allegations to the contrary a few weeks later on the Adv Spec FB page...

Chris S screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 03:26 PM Reason: added link and other details
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #159
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
I'd love to see pictures of the Zigzag handlebar bag installed on a bike... and more info on how they install, etc. Would they fit on stock bars on an ADV bike like a GS or Vstrom? Would they work on after-market bars with the dirtbike style cross-brace? How much would they block gagues, etc?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #160
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Can you guys see if "Buck & Roll" will fit a 2012 Sertao (Dakar)? Looking at the pictures I think it's doable. I dont like to carry much weight in the front, but that can actually work for me. PM me if you like..

74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #161
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
I'd love to see pictures of the Zigzag handlebar bag installed on a bike... and more info on how they install, etc. Would they fit on stock bars on an ADV bike like a GS or Vstrom? Would they work on after-market bars with the dirtbike style cross-brace? How much would they block gagues, etc?
Hi Zeeede,

Zigzag on a few different bikes...

CRF250L

R1200GSA

(with Bushwackers)

Husky (with Bushwackers)

F800GS

Thruxton 900 for good measure

It fits pretty much anything with a one piece hbar (no street bike clip-ons). No problem with crossbars too. I actually haven't found anything with the a one-piece bar or cross bar that it doesn't fit...

Doesn't block the gauges either.

Two velcro/buckle secured straps from the top around to the bottom as you can see in these pics.

Thanks for the question!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #162
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
You guys make some cool stuff, no doubt!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #163
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"The Ultimate Motorcycle Elephant Ear Shootout!"

Although it's due for an update, here's a thorough comparison of hand guard and hand deflectors by the Dual Sport Alchemy blog, including a prototype version of Giant Loop's Bushwackers Hand Guards. The new version looks and performs even better!

We use these year-round, anytime we're riding in rain or chilly morning temperatures.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #164
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New lash points on Great Basin Dry Bag and Coyote Dry

Tight compression straps are what really secure the Great Basin Dry Bag and Coyote Dry Bag, and the lash loops are there to ensure the webbing can't slide off the bag sideways. Now it's a lot easier getting in/out of your Giant Loop saddlebags when you're riding with a Dry Bag attached. No more need to unthread buckles to secure the Dry Bag lash points - both the Coyote Dry Bag and Great Basin Dry Bag feature convenient split loops!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #165
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

MoJavi Saddlebag in Hellas Rally Raid

More rally action! David from Raid Designs (Sweden) is racing right now in the Hellas Rally Raid in Greece - with the MoJavi Saddlebag on his KTM 525 EXC!
Closed Thread