User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1576
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 480
Ross (again)

We had big plans this coming weekend... prepped mine and my wife's dirt bikes for a big ride at Ross. We were going to go down there on Saturday, ride all day, eat dinner in Hot Springs, spend the night at the Bar-50 Ranch and get up and ride part of the day on Sunday before heading home. Another couple was going to join us too... sounded like a great weekend and even the weather looks to cooperate. Then this morning I was reminded that it's the opening weekend of turkey season. I checked online and found that Ross tends to be very popular with hunters at this time, in fact I saw some comments about it being too crowded.

Does anyone have any input on this... as in is it true? Would it be better to wait for a couple of weeks (May 4/5)? That would be the last weekend of the season, but maybe it won't be as crowded. I can't go the weekend of April 27/28 since I'll be at riding at Brock. I don't need to subject her to those kind of trails... did that once and she swore she'd never go back there again.

She's been wanting to go riding with me, especially since the weather has gotten better. I sure hate to let this spring get away from us without riding together.

Greg
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #1577
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Lake Sylvia/Winona to Queen Wilhelmina thu Ouachita Nat'l Forest

Hello - Newbie here. I have searched the forum and did not find anything. I just picked up a used WR450 and I am in the process of getting it titled and tagged. I was wondering if anyone had a route from the East side of the Ouachita Nat'l Forest (Lake Sylvia area) over to the Queen Wilhelmina area (on dirt). I've ridden over to Hy 7 on my Mt Bike so I know that section, but from Hy7 to Wilhelmina is an unknown.

If anyone has any information on such a trip I would appreciate any advice/knowledge you have to offer. Also any other good day trips or weekend trips in this area you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Phil B
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #1578
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
Hello - Newbie here. I have searched the forum and did not find anything. I just picked up a used WR450 and I am in the process of getting it titled and tagged. I was wondering if anyone had a route from the East side of the Ouachita Nat'l Forest (Lake Sylvia area) over to the Queen Wilhelmina area (on dirt). I've ridden over to Hy 7 on my Mt Bike so I know that section, but from Hy7 to Wilhelmina is an unknown.

If anyone has any information on such a trip I would appreciate any advice/knowledge you have to offer. Also any other good day trips or weekend trips in this area you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Phil B
Welcome Phil...

Here's a map I put together but haven't ridden yet. Fuel will be an issue. I've ran the "Auto Route" from Hwy 9 - Hwy 27. Arkansawyer probably is the most informed of riding west of Hwy 7. The lake Winona area is a great area to ride and explore. There will be a ADV camp and ride, at Lake Sylvia, June 14-16, 2013. There's several riders in the Central AR area but most of them work full-time+ and often local rides are announced with short notice.

Hope to see you on the trail.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #1579
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
thanks

Thanks Nate,

Appreciate the map link. That is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I can get the WR titled and tagged in the next few weeks. I will circle the Lake Sylvia June dates and keep a lookout for posted Central Arkansas rides.
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #1580
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,381
I think the guys may be planning a 1/2 day ride or so on Sunday. I'll double check. I heard a few things being tossed around including Petit Jean, 7, 10..not quite sure. We are in Conway and a friend of ours from Sherwood is likely coming.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #1581
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
I think the guys may be planning a 1/2 day ride or so on Sunday. I'll double check. I heard a few things being tossed around including Petit Jean, 7, 10..not quite sure. We are in Conway and a friend of ours from Sherwood is likely coming.
I'd like to go.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #1582
SVader
Lurker

Oddometer: 189
Mister D. We're meeting at our house no later than 930. Still working on the time. It'll be 100% street and quick paced. 27,16,lower 123 and home. Not a long ride but fun none the less. Let me know if your interested.
SVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #1583
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

80 percent leaning toward it.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #1584
Mister D OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVader View Post
Mister D. We're meeting at our house no later than 930. Still working on the time. It'll be 100% street and quick paced. 27,16,lower 123 and home. Not a long ride but fun none the less. Let me know if your interested.
OK, I want to go. Can you send me the address? And what time?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #1585
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
There's a rally in Hot Springs this weekend. Don't plan on showing up and finding a motel room.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #1586
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
There's a rally in Hot Springs this weekend. Don't plan on showing up and finding a motel room.
Floor camping at your place?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #1587
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Serious or kidding?

Weather isn't going to be the greatest.
I am working both days. It's odd. 17 people were laid off last week. Today 5 more were fired and 1 resigned. We have been working 12 and sometimes 16 hour days and some weekends.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #1588
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Ross

Does anyone know where the fire tower is at on the Ross property? I have heard about it but not sure exactly where it's at even though we've ridden there many times. I always speculated it was on the northwest side where the ridge runs. On Google Earth I found a cell phone tower, but nothing else. I understand there are some good trails with hills in that area.

A group of us from Jonesboro are heading there in the morning (Wednesday) if anyone would like to join us.

Greg
Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #1589
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

The fire tower is gone. Stay off that hill! There have been numerous acts of vandalism and one ATV death up there. One of the antennas is owned by the sheriff's dept. so they can reach Point Cedar. There are cameras.
The view is about the same from the road running from there down to hwy 7.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1590
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
The fire tower is gone. Stay off that hill! There have been numerous acts of vandalism and one ATV death up there. One of the antennas is owned by the sheriff's dept. so they can reach Point Cedar. There are cameras.
The view is about the same from the road running from there down to hwy 7.
Advice taken! I suspected the tower was gone since I didn't see any evidence of it other than a nice turn-around and that cell tower. I figure we'll be riding the usual areas we go to.

One of the guys going with us rode there Saturday and said the conditions and traction were perfect. I'm hoping to maybe catch a glimpse of a little dust. We haven't seen any of that here in NE Arkansas since last summer.

Greg