Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #391
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMcCranky View Post
Thanks for putting up such a great route and RR, Cannon.

My brother and I are planning to do part of the UPAT this summer, starting from our parents house a bit south of St. Ignace. We'll have 4 days to ride, needing to return to St. Ignace by the end of the 4th day. I was wondering what part of the route you'd suggest that we do. We're considering the following options:

1) Go north from St. Ignace, hopefully making it to Marquette, connect with the southern part of the trail and head back to St. Ignace.

2) Go north from St. Ignace and follow the trail all the way up to Copper Harbor. Come back on roads as needed to make time on the return, jumping on some sections of the lower part of the trail on the way back if we have time.

3) Go west from St. Ignace and explore the southern part of the loop, returning when we run out of time.

I love pictured rocks and lake superior, so I'm inclined towards (1) or (2) but I've really never explored the southern part of the UP, so I'd be open to that if it's great riding.

I don't have a good sense of how many miles we can cover each day. We're a couple of 40-something guys in pretty good shape, on the beginner side of intermediate with offroad riding (I've completed the RawHyde course in CA, my brother had a dirt bike he rode in CO for a few years). We'll be riding 650 dual sports (a V-Strom and a BMW G650 XCountry).

Thanks for any advice you could offer. We're really looking forward to this trip.

If you send me an e-mail I can do a custom route for you that will take about four days. I tailor a lot of my rides to best help out the riders involved. No charge, I just do it to help people get a chance to be able to enjoy some of these things.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #392
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMcCranky View Post
Thanks for putting up such a great route and RR, Cannon.

My brother and I are planning to do part of the UPAT this summer, starting from our parents house a bit south of St. Ignace. We'll have 4 days to ride, needing to return to St. Ignace by the end of the 4th day. I was wondering what part of the route you'd suggest that we do. We're considering the following options:

1) Go north from St. Ignace, hopefully making it to Marquette, connect with the southern part of the trail and head back to St. Ignace.

2) Go north from St. Ignace and follow the trail all the way up to Copper Harbor. Come back on roads as needed to make time on the return, jumping on some sections of the lower part of the trail on the way back if we have time.

3) Go west from St. Ignace and explore the southern part of the loop, returning when we run out of time.

I love pictured rocks and lake superior, so I'm inclined towards (1) or (2) but I've really never explored the southern part of the UP, so I'd be open to that if it's great riding.

I don't have a good sense of how many miles we can cover each day. We're a couple of 40-something guys in pretty good shape, on the beginner side of intermediate with offroad riding (I've completed the RawHyde course in CA, my brother had a dirt bike he rode in CO for a few years). We'll be riding 650 dual sports (a V-Strom and a BMW G650 XCountry).

Thanks for any advice you could offer. We're really looking forward to this trip.
Here is a custom 950 mile four-day ride on the UPAT modified that will work for the bikes you are riding. It starts and ends at the bridge.

Day one, counter clockwise to somewhere around Gwinn or Marquette. Day 2 to the tip of the Keweenaw. Day 3 back to Gwinn. Day 4 back to the bridge. Long days but a blast. Have a great trip!

If someone else needs this route, just ask.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #393
BubbaMcCranky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thank you Cannon!

This looks fantastic.
BubbaMcCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #394
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Do you have any mapped routes that would be good for a Jeep Wrangler in the UP? I'm going to camp in Newberry in July and have a few days to get there from Chicago. Looking for some offroad sections.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #395
yotatoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Wow!

Wow great thread, love all the pictures and ride report, I also checked out your website its pretty awesome. I am planning on hitting the MCCCT "loop" this summer with some friends, but might have to do 2 trips this summer and hit the UP as well!
yotatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #396
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,482
You wouldn't be disappointed. Great riding and fantastic people up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Wow great thread, love all the pictures and ride report, I also checked out your website its pretty awesome. I am planning on hitting the MCCCT "loop" this summer with some friends, but might have to do 2 trips this summer and hit the UP as well!
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #397
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 186
UP Map Info

Dear Cannonshot, The wife and I are planing to go around the outer edge of the UP this Aug. We will be leaving from our cabin in Saint Helen ( Lower Penn. ) going across the bridge and staying on Druhmond Island the first day, second day to the Soo and pictured rocks, third day Big Bay, fourth day Copper Harbor, and so on. Could you recommend any good maps with all the roads ( Paved and dirt ). We will be on our BMW 1150 GS and I would like to stay as close to the lake shores as possible. Thank you for any info, Bruce
Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #398
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbansk View Post
Dear Cannonshot, The wife and I are planing to go around the outer edge of the UP this Aug. We will be leaving from our cabin in Saint Helen ( Lower Penn. ) going across the bridge and staying on Druhmond Island the first day, second day to the Soo and pictured rocks, third day Big Bay, fourth day Copper Harbor, and so on. Could you recommend any good maps with all the roads ( Paved and dirt ). We will be on our BMW 1150 GS and I would like to stay as close to the lake shores as possible. Thank you for any info, Bruce
For a paper map, I use this Upper Peninsula map by UniversalMap.

For GPS (my primary) and probably the best map available for adventure and dual sport riding for this area, I use the ORV GPS map from vvmapping.com. The background map is excelllent and it also shows ORV trails and routes embedded into the map.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #399
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 186
Many Thanks

Thank you so much Cannonshot. The wife and I just love the UP and now that we have the right 2-up machine we cant wait. Thanks again, Bruce
Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #400
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Here is a custom 950 mile four-day ride on the UPAT modified that will work for the bikes you are riding. It starts and ends at the bridge.

Day one, counter clockwise to somewhere around Gwinn or Marquette. Day 2 to the tip of the Keweenaw. Day 3 back to Gwinn. Day 4 back to the bridge. Long days but a blast. Have a great trip!

If someone else needs this route, just ask.

PM coming...Zaboo65, Grimloc, and I are thinking about doing this between the first and second weeks of June.

ďI havenít been everywhere, but itís on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #401
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post

PM coming...Zaboo65, Grimloc, and I are thinking about doing this between the first and second weeks of June.
I thought we were doing the Big Bike route? That is already available for download, and I have. Should be fine for all our bikes (big bikes). I can't wait! Cold weather should keep the bug level down. Need to get our MI OVR stickers ordered.
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #402
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboo65 View Post
I thought we were doing the Big Bike route? That is already available for download, and I have. Should be fine for all our bikes (big bikes). I can't wait! Cold weather should keep the bug level down. Need to get our MI OVR stickers ordered.
I have it too, but SOME people have work that is keeping us from taking a full week (or more), so this seemed like an option. This route is for 650's, so it should work for us, and it doesn't hurt to have both sets of tracks.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #403
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
I have it too, but SOME people have work that is keeping us from taking a full week (or more), so this seemed like an option. This route is for 650's, so it should work for us, and it doesn't hurt to have both sets of tracks.
You are talking about me I'm pretty sure.
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #404
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Do you have any mapped routes that would be good for a Jeep Wrangler in the UP? I'm going to camp in Newberry in July and have a few days to get there from Chicago. Looking for some offroad sections.
Cannon has another thread about the UPAT and posted a 4WD route at the end of that: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20865133&postcount=28

Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #405
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Cannon has another thread about the UPAT and posted a 4WD route at the end of that: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20865133&postcount=28
Thanks!
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote