Oddometer: 436
Damn, I gotta check that out!
DustyRags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,233
Still on the return Rally

My time was running short and I hated passing a couple interesting sections including a dirt trail through Pinnacle Peaks National Park and also Pozo/ High Mtn. Road. But promises were made to be back Sunday, April 7th for dinner.

It's 5:30pm and my plan is to camp out at Hollister Hills OHV park. Unfortunately I took the first "State Park" turnoff on San Bautista Creek Road which led me up to a 20 mile dead end at another campground adjacent to but not connected to Hollister. Turning around burned nearly an hour and by then the sun had set. I changed my plans to continue riding south to Pinnacle Peaks National Monument on the country highway 25. At this point I had not programmed my return into the GPS and I was freestyling my route. Another costly mistake was that I over shot the turnoff to Pinnacle Peaks and chose not to turn around at 9:00pm. Next stop would be King City. This section of country byway was a wonderful winding road and although enjoyable in the dark, I can imagine how much more it would be in during daylight hours.

I managed to find a Quality Inn with a reasonable rate at 10:30pm in King City with a 24 hours Denny's to satisfy my hunger. I wake up and head south on the 101 riding through the beautiful wine region leading into Paso Robles. This section of highway is nice terrain for the 950 motor, allowing me to make some time. Moving sourth 101 travels along the coast and a glimpse of wave along Pismo Beach. From there i travel inland and take Cachuma Road that travels through the Santa Inez valley wine region and Solvang.

I did seek out a nice tight single wide above Santa Barbara with another spectacular view of the Channel Islands along the Pacific. And how lucky no rain materialized today as previously forecasted.

One last long stretch of canyon slab to the house. Stay tuned for last pics and my overview of the trip. Plus more photos from my Nikon and Google Maps.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 10:52 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,886
hey paul, good to hear you made it, enjoyed it, met pyn and now home safely.

nice joint they have up there, need to check it out.

cheers.

joe
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
How'd I miss crossing paths last night? I owe you beers and a lunch. Your recommends were highlights! Although a lesser savvy rider on the Parkfield grade at night in the rain... But for me it was a nice kicker to end the night with. Thank You!

But the journey is far from over. Since I bailed on my part four route I'll do that tomorrow when I leave. I promise to take more photos. And I'll add the ones from my Nikon to replace some of these IPhonies.

Stay tuned...
Hey DesertSurfer,

Sorry to have missed you, too ... just goes to show it was a successful event! There were a bunch of my pals I saw across the room, but didn't get a chance to speak with ... we really enjoyed Pyndon, and what a wonderful presentation he did ...

Glad to hear you enjoyed some of the roads up here ... looking forward to the Nikon pics ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Sunset Arrival

From Santa Barbara, I took the back route 192 through Montecito. Wow, what a beautiful tight winding intimate and scenic section. One of the rare few moments that's best described as romantic and wish my wife was riding pillion to experience this. A MUST see route.

Dropping down on Highway 1 this is one of my favorite highways (for having to do slab) in the world, as it passes many of my all time surf spots including Rincon and Ventura Point.

Then at the Ventura/ L.A. County border I jump off the Damn 101 freeway and hit a world class mountain route... The infamous Mulholland highway.

Rallying past Lake Malibu ( Malibou is the actual Indian name). Most people don't realize Los Angeles has beautiful forest areas and lakes throughout, which makes for fun afternoon rides if not a long SFO return trip.

A quick stop at the Rock Store for a beer as the bikes ride past. No Jay Leno today, although you'd expect to see him now having more free time.

I'm such a sucker for canopy coverage. A classic fork in the road leading down Old Topanga Hwy.

My final shot at the end of the trip... Sunset overlooking the Santa Monica pier and the Pacific. Roughy 1000 miles in four days.

Final thoughts to come.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 08:50 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,397
Sounds great. We woke up to snow this am....

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,922
Care to share your GPX file or detailed map?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Thanks for asking!!! I'll add Google, GPX and final wrap up after a brief decomp.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
CafeRacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Ha. I asked him the same thing on PM.

http://becausegolfsucks.tumblr.com/
CafeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Awesomeness.

There is some awesome riding in the SF Bay Area. And after 2.5 decades i'm still discovering.

Miguel
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
ohpyramids
Latebird

Oddometer: 48
anxiously awaiting a map. this looks rad!
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #27
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Great trip. Your very lucky to have roads and tracks like this.

Ireland has loads of great views but very little dirt you can legally ride on.

Your bike looks amazing and has set the ball rolling for sure this side of the water.

"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 01:09 AM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Wrapping out the Rally for Pyn ride...

It's been a week since this 1000 miles riding from L.A. to SFO and back. First off I had to wash away all the crud.

Number one, I have to compliment this bike. Although I had done a thorough prep job, anything can happen on the road. However on this ride I had absolutely no incidences. The bike performed flawlessly. If I had one change to the bike I think I would have foregone some fuel economy and went with a 16T front sprocket as I'm running a 17T front 44T rear.

The weather was the big wrinkle on this trip. I was fortunate that the rain came in waves and I was able to skirt most of it. But having to wait it out on my departure day put me 4 hours behind. And I couldn't quite make that time up. What the weather and the delays cost me was having the time to camp out along the way. I caught light misting the first night and chose not to set up camp in the misting rains. And the other camping opportunity on the way back was sacrificed when I had a misroute and ran out of daylight.

The other ripple in my trip from constantly being behind schedule was my attempt to photography and post the trip live. In fact the constant stopping for taking pics contributed to more delays. And as I continued to run out of daylight, there were many great photo opportunities missed, especially the Cholame Valley and Parkfield Grade. I'm hoping I'll get another chance at these locations. Also missing out on the Pinnacle Peaks National Monument was another let down due to delays and miscalculations.

I actually brought my IPad to download and post photos from my Nikon J1 and was simply too tired at night until the last evening of the trip.

With all of this in mind, I could have simply left all of my gear at home other then my Iphone and it wouldn't have impacted the trip. But I'd much rather be overly prepared then the later.

The routes I chose were the culmination of high recommendations from advrider inmates, Butler, Atlas and Garmin. I programmed my northerly routes into my GPS and freestyled most of my southerly route. I wish I wold have programmed the entire trip, as I would have not passed up the Pinnacles.

The event to see Pyn at Piston&Chain was great, I just wish I had more energy to have hung out and bothered Lyndon for more of his insight and knowledge after the event.

As far as my gear, I couldn't have been more happy with my choices. I chose the new Fly Racing Patrol water resistent jacket and pants ( luckily I didn't have to find out how resistent). I added CE knee shin pockets and along with my Nike ACG fully padded MTB cool johns... and ASTARS compression jacket I was covered for any minor get offs ( which fortunately didn't materialize). My FR 70L hydration pack was never empty and always cool. And I brought FR waterproof gloves which worked great in the misty cold along with ASTARS MX gloves for the warm afternoons.

And finally... the pros and cons of riding solo.

The pros being that I like to cover ground, stop seldom and press on late into the night if I have to. This schedule might not work for others. And there were a few forks in the road during routes that the GPS simply didn't have answers for. I had to make significant decisions like while in the Carrizo Plains and at the back end of Clear Creek. Distractions in decisions at these points could have been costly in time or worse going down a bad trail on a heavy bike. There were a few times where I pushed too long between food stops and this could have been intense for others. And I was able to make the Pyn event without being held back by traveling in a group, which naturally happens and could have defeated the purpose of the trip all together.

The cons... Not having anyone to share in the pure joy of the routes, scenery and remarkable terrain covered during the trip. Had I ridden with someone who had a higher level of energy I could have been pushed to a quicker time.
It would have been great to have had another person taking photos and a better habit for picture taking.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and one I'd gladly do again preferrably with more notice from my work schedule.

And a shout out to all of those who helped me with the planning and logistics. I owe you all a big thanks.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 11:20 PM