Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #5971
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i can see this argument, but the PC game isn't any cheaper, and the PC system is quite a bit more expensive. lets say you have a PS3 for 250 dollars and it is good to run games for 4 years. I don't see any way that the same price PC system would (A.) have similar specs and (B.) still run new games for the same amount of time. Nor, with a PC do you have to in any way be tech savy. if you can turn it on and select yes, you are good to go with a console.
One example: Lego Games are one of my favorite and don't have a high system demand. @release they're usually priced 2nd tier, which means $49 for consoles, $39 for Wii and $29 for PC. They'll be $19 for PC long before being discounted for consoles. For mainline titles they may all release at the same price but I guarantee the PC versions get discounted first and faster.

Fallout. Incredible game. You can tweak it down to play on an older PC. Same with Crysis and Skyrim. You get the same game play, you just don't get 32x AA and water and fog effects.

My next door neighbor has my old Dell 4550. It's been running continuously since 2003 He's only upgraded the video card once, when the old one burned out. It still plays all the games his kids want to play. I dare say I could get Fallout 3 to play on it. Painfully slow maybe but it would still play. I'd like to see you get a Wii game to play on an N64 or better yet, Golden Axe in it's original cartridge to play on any current console.

A PC is like a motorcycle. No matter how old or new you get on it and ride. The old ones work just as well as the new ones.

A PS/3 is a train. It may go faster than a motorcycle. It may even run longer than a motorcycle. But, in the end it has to go where the track goes.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #5972
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i dunno, my wife picks up several games each year for the ps3 on black friday mostly for Christmas presents, i rarely buy a new game for myself. doesn't make sense if you don't plan online a lot, as in a month it will be in the game stop at half price or less used and it feels like a new game to me.

from an entry level standpoint cost, though, i can't see how a computer would play out favorably to a console. i've seen single components to a PC system cost as much if not more than an entire console.

and if you buy a console new from someplace like best buy, you can get a 3-4 year warranty. I had an xbox 360 with a ring of death, traded it in on warranty and walked out with a better xbox 360 with larger hard drive, new controller and a new game plus a brand new warranty for the difference in price.

for my purposes, i can't imagine going back to a graphically intense PC experience in the near future.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I put together a midlevel gaming rig about 5 years ago for 1100-1150. (no monitor) Since then, I've added another stick of RAM, that's it. It still screams on the latest games mentioned with no lag at all.

Not to mention the utility of having the comp in general to do everything else and no fighting over the TV with the wife.....

/shrug apples and oranges

I think that PC gamers get more respect than console gamers, because the latter are much more associated with teenagers, etc. PC gaming involves a level of tech know-how that is completely non-existent in the console crowd. (for the average user) The price of entry is simply $$....whereas the PC gamer does research, compares, and often builds his machine.

And thus, the debate rages on.....
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #5973
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,517
We got through three maps last night. my boy was happy to see studio. It was one of his favorites before. I'm just wading in to these games and never played the old one, but I like it.
Vertigo is really good, magma we didn't play long enough to get a good feel for. It still has me pretty confused.
Best part of it for me...... When playing on new maps, my number of kills and my kill death ratio were better than the boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Haha! Took about 30 minutes for me, I think. I actually started the process then went and are dinner, so I don't know how long it took.

So far I like Encore, Studio is the exact same as Firing Range from the first Black Ops ( not a bad thing ). Vertigo I am not sure of just yet, I have not worked out a good feel for it. I don't remember what the forth is called, I may not have played it yet. Overall, it may be a pretty decent upgrade.

The new zombies stuff is supposed to be good as well, but I don't play the zombies mode much if at all

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #5974
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
One example: Lego Games are one of my favorite and don't have a high system demand. @release they're usually priced 2nd tier, which means $49 for consoles, $39 for Wii and $29 for PC. They'll be $19 for PC long before being discounted for consoles. For mainline titles they may all release at the same price but I guarantee the PC versions get discounted first and faster.

Fallout. Incredible game. You can tweak it down to play on an older PC. Same with Crysis and Skyrim. You get the same game play, you just don't get 32x AA and water and fog effects.

My next door neighbor has my old Dell 4550. It's been running continuously since 2003 He's only upgraded the video card once, when the old one burned out. It still plays all the games his kids want to play. I dare say I could get Fallout 3 to play on it. Painfully slow maybe but it would still play. I'd like to see you get a Wii game to play on an N64 or better yet, Golden Axe in it's original cartridge to play on any current console.

A PC is like a motorcycle. No matter how old or new you get on it and ride. The old ones work just as well as the new ones.

A PS/3 is a train. It may go faster than a motorcycle. It may even run longer than a motorcycle. But, in the end it has to go where the track goes.
I wish!

Now I've got the music from the 1st level stuck in my head.....thanks.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #5975
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Like I said earlier in this thread, I put together a midlevel gaming rig about 5 years ago for 1100-1150. (no monitor) Since then, I've added another stick of RAM, that's it. It still screams on the latest games mentioned with no lag at all.
and in that time, for 1100 dollars you could have picked up 4 or 5 consoles

Both system types have their time and place. i don't see a solid argument for a single winner either way, unless you are trying to fit specific needs. I personally have 3 different consoles and 2 pcs in the house, and each do have their own use. (except the wii. we really don't use the wii for anything except leaning the wii fit board on since that doesn't get used either )
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #5976
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I wish!

Now I've got the music from the 1st level stuck in my head.....thanks.
I stopped playing Golden Axe because my wife kept kicking my ass. Same with Stratego.

Psssst. Hey, buddy. Come here. I got something I want to tell you.

It's another example of PC superiority. And, it's on topic.

It's called M.A.M.E. Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. You can get it to run on almost any PC, all the way back to Pentium 2. Then you download the Golden Axe ROM. TaDah! It's 1989 all over again.

http://www.mame.net/
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #5977
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
I stopped playing Golden Axe because my wife kept kicking my ass. Same with Stratego.

Psssst. Hey, buddy. Come here. I got something I want to tell you.

It's another example of PC superiority. And, it's on topic.

It's called M.A.M.E. Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. You can get it to run on almost any PC, all the way back to Pentium 2. Then you download the Golden Axe ROM. TaDah! It's 1989 all over again.

http://www.mame.net/
Not to mention all of the other emulators....and USB to controller adapters.

Though I do have the actual console still

And for those that don't know about it:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #5978
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer: 490
Goddamnit I am hooked on Skyrim again.

They had a sale on all the Skyrim DLCs on April's fools day, so I'm like, oh hell why not.

So I decided to make a new character, why not? 3 weeks later my 3rd character is at Level 45...

My other two characters were pretty high level too, highs 60s and 50s. Probably a couple hundred hours between them. I never made any progress on any of the major plotlines on those characters.

So on this playthrough I'm for sure gonna finish this game.

Oh yea, the 3 new DLCs? I've made no progress on those plotlines either. I haven't even scratched Dragonborn yet (although I did make it to Solstheim). I just started Dawnguard and just joined the Dawnguard but I haven't yet started the first mission to it (the crossbow is pretty awesome though). And Hearthfire, well I built and completed 1 manor so far.

I swear I'd be perfectly happy in solitary confinement if I could have an XBOX 360 and Skyrim in there with me. I'd never be bored.

ScorpioVI screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 03:02 PM
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #5979
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Mickey's Castle of Illusion

An all time family favorite of the Lotto clan is finally being updated.

Now all we need is Gauntlet and life would be complete.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #5980
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylotto View Post
an all time family favorite of the lotto clan is finally being updated.

now all we need is gauntlet and life would be complete.
mame?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #5981
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
mame?
You're on your own searching for that rom. Although that might be a good project for a NUC or mini ITX box.

We played it on a Sega Genesis.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #5982
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Ouya just got 15 million in venture capital funding, I just hope they can get some serious games out by Christmas time. That'll make it a really interesting battle with that system for 100 bucks or the next gen ones coming in around 300 at the lowest and probably closer to 400-500.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #5983
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Ouya just got 15 million in venture capital funding, I just hope they can get some serious games out by Christmas time. That'll make it a really interesting battle with that system for 100 bucks or the next gen ones coming in around 300 at the lowest and probably closer to 400-500.
I forget, is this the one that uses a service like Steam to download games? If so, and the developers can get stuff out for it in time then you are right, this could get interesting. Well, for Sony and Nintendo anyway. It would seem the XBox with the Live service isn't giving up its market share with this next generation of consoles. Time will tell.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #5984
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I forget, is this the one that uses a service like Steam to download games? If so, and the developers can get stuff out for it in time then you are right, this could get interesting. Well, for Sony and Nintendo anyway. It would seem the XBox with the Live service isn't giving up its market share with this next generation of consoles. Time will tell.
Graphics wise IIRC it should be about equal to a 360 so what they need are some ports of older games, along with new indie ones. Not to mention the classics like Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto coming out for Android....they could set those up for the Ouya with minimal modifications for the controls.

If they can get a decent library of those with a few awesome new games they're golden.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #5985
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Bought KC Little Big Planet 2 for her birthday, but she wants to finish the first one first. It's by far her favorite game.

I bought TC: Future Soldier for myself.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: