Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #796
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Not on a 2011 G650GS, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. Nor a 2012 G650GS. 2013 G650GS...nope.

The older failures are a different fork design.
I think this thread was started by a chick who experienced a failure on a new design fork.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #797
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I think this thread was started by a chick who experienced a failure on a new design fork.
2011 G650GS, to be exact
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #798
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
2011 G650GS, to be exact
It was, and I'm aware of that. If you read a bit more carefully, my response was to a post citing a specific report which only addressed the earlier-model fork failures. I was pointing out that that list of failures didn't pertain to the current-generation G650GS.
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #799
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
It was, and I'm aware of that. If you read a bit more carefully, my response was to a post citing a specific report which only addressed the earlier-model fork failures. I was pointing out that that list of failures didn't pertain to the current-generation G650GS.
Agreed,

Didn't mean to outdo you. I was just confirming what slide said.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #800
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
+1 !

Quote:
not on a 2011 g650gs, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. Nor a 2012 g650gs. 2013 g650gs...nope.

The older failures are a different fork design.

The one late-model failure that sparked this thread (and which is the only one seen all over the internet) was most likely caused by a pre-existing condition stemming from shipping damage or improper assembly.

We'll never know for sure, because no helpful information was ever posted and op disappeared, moving on with her life. The tinfoil hat crowd says this is because she was silenced by bmw in a grand cover-up of a defective fork design that continues to be foisted upon the public because human lives are cheaper than redesign costs.

The other 99.9% of us are too busy out enjoying our bikes for thousands and thousands of rough miles to pay them any mind.

This thread has been dead for a long, long time.

That's all i have to say about that.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #801
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
+1 !
-100. Thread started by the account of a failure of the re-designed fork. IMO, riding one of these things, given BMW's secrecy about the failures, is having a death wish.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #802
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
-100. Thread started by the account of a failure of the re-designed fork. IMO, riding one of these things, given BMW's secrecy about the failures, is having a death wish.
I have a death wish then.

Silence doesn't necessarily mean secrecy and suppression of information. Sometimes silence happens because there isn't actually anything to say!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #803
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
I have a death wish then.

Silence doesn't necessarily mean secrecy and suppression of information. Sometimes silence happens because there isn't actually anything to say!
If BMW had, instead of denying all the failures, had said the failures were due to ABC and to make sure that ABC never recurs it has implemented XYZ, I'd feel ok but the whole thing. However, BMW's silence and constant denial that these crashes were caused by everything except the old model forks, makes me question the new model ones especially in light of this thread.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #804
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Not going to do it.

I was seriously going to buy a Sertao last fall, and in the process of doing some basic research I ran across "the fork issue". After looking up what that was and what changes were made from the old design to the new design, and then wondering why they didn't spec out even the basic USD forks off of the X-Country, I decided to not buy this bike.

After all, beyond all of the fork issues (real or perceived) BMW is asking a premium price for a bike with average suspension. And while it's true that I could upgrade the suspension with some USD Kayaba of Showa forks (or KLX forks ...), for the asking price BMW should have already done this. Especially when you cosider the past troubles (real or perceived).

Which is sad because I really do like the bike (and that's for real).
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #805
Libertynh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Really sorry to hear about your wreck and hope you recover quickly and well. I had one early on too that was outside my control and have enjoyed years of riding since. Gear and injuries sound pretty much the same. About the bike, honestly it would be on my trailer and being parked right out front at the dealer while I hobbled in to talk to the manager every busy day until I got the answers I wanted. Most folks would probably go the lawyer route I suppose.
Libertynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #806
kc2ine
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
I was pointing out that that list of failures didn't pertain to the current-generation G650GS.
yet, how can anyone be sure now??? problems in 2008, then in 2011 - that every 3 years, so next case maybe in 2014...few months to go.
kc2ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #807
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2ine View Post
yet, how can anyone be sure now??? problems in 2008, then in 2011 - that every 3 years, so next case maybe in 2014...few months to go.
Now you have to try to stir it up here. What's your problem? Not enough love as a child?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #808
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Problems or one problem in 2011 model?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #809
_vortex_
snow snow snow :(

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:

Someone should point the herd of lawyers currently going after GM and their killer ignition switch over this way.

Rather similar... bad design, severely injures or kills, silently fixed with a part change without changing the part numbers to try to cover up the problem...
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #810
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vortex_ View Post
Someone should point the herd of lawyers currently going after GM and their killer ignition switch over this way.

Rather similar... bad design, severely injures or kills, silently fixed with a part change without changing the part numbers to try to cover up the problem...
The ignition switch is a non issue, only a total dumbass would crash their car because the engine quit. I have zero sympathy for those people.

Having your front wheel fall off your forks is something that will likely kill you, and no amount of skill in the world will save you if this happens.

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote