Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #31
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I am joking about my boyfriend. I just think it's funny the way some guys like to talk about their girlfriends or their wives when it comes to bikes. I guess nobody cares when the coin is flipped. At least it's consistent...
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
AFTER she comes out of the BRC with a big smile, buy her riding gear and a bike. If no smile, find a new activity for the two of you.

The TU250X is a great choice. The fuel injected engine is easy starting and holds its idle rpm as the clutch is eased out, unlike a carb bike. And great handling.

Buy her a copy of David L Hough's latest book--he has a recent update. And after the course, look at msgroup.org and do some of their parking lot practice maneuvers together.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #33
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 471
I once taught an ex of mine to snowboard...never again. I could only imagine what it would be like teaching a significant other something much more complicated, like riding a mc

Enjoy your relationship & book her the class haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Not all of us have.
Seriously? You've never dumped a bike offroad?
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #34
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
One thing i would add is that hopefully she's learning to ride because she really want's too, not because you ride. This can be an unforgiving hobby or a pastime, if you screw up. You'll have to have your heart and mind in it. Good luck with it, slow as she goes!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #35
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I haven't dumped mine offroad.

...this week.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #36
wtjBatman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No where in the original quote or his response did anyone say offroad. I've only been riding for three years but I've never dropped any of the bikes I've ridden either. But, they've all been onroad
wtjBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #37
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbutus View Post
Been riding bikes for years. My boyfriend wants one and i don't know how to get him started safely with it either. I was thinking of getting him a 2012 250 CBR, since it has a lot of pep but not too much to be dangerous. Not sure if i should get him signed up for an MSF course or if i should let him ride on the road right away. He's a total n00b as well.
Quote:
I am joking about my boyfriend. I just think it's funny the way some guys like to talk about their girlfriends or their wives when it comes to bikes. I guess nobody cares when the coin is flipped. At least it's consistent...

I was gonna say, if I was said boyfriend, and you offered me a bike, first stop would be the courthouse for that marriage license. Any woman willing to by you a bike, you should marry, immediately.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #38
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtjBatman View Post
No where in the original quote or his response did anyone say offroad. I've only been riding for three years but I've never dropped any of the bikes I've ridden either. But, they've all been onroad
My mistake, I somehow conjured up in my head that we were talking about dualsports.
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #39
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
I was gonna say, if I was said boyfriend, and you offered me a bike, first stop would be the courthouse for that marriage license. Any woman willing to by you a bike, you should marry, immediately.
ha, actually, i am already married. people have told him how jealous they are that he married someone who is so into biking. maybe I should milk this more...
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #40
khale OP
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Great news! She passed the MSF course I bought her for her birthday and she was so excited entering and exciting the class. It was my hope that she would have the same enthusiasm for 2 wheels as I did, as I hope it's a passion/hobby we can share together, and not just something I like and want her to do. She did terrific and will be getting her license this Friday.
Now is the time to look at the budget for the Suzuki TUX (or compatible moto) and proper gear. Thanks so much for everyone's encouragement and help! ADV rocks!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Great news! She passed the MSF course I bought her for her birthday and she was so excited entering and exciting the class. It was my hope that she would have the same enthusiasm for 2 wheels as I did, as I hope it's a passion/hobby we can share together, and not just something I like and want her to do. She did terrific and will be getting her license this Friday.
Now is the time to look at the budget for the Suzuki TUX (or compatible moto) and proper gear. Thanks so much for everyone's encouragement and help! ADV rocks!
Great news. I wish you guys great rides to nice places.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #42
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Awesome! I believe Suzuki is still offering 0% financing with qualified credit, and you may even like scooting around on the TU250X yourself. If it doesn't get torn up, resale should be pretty good too. If all else fails, you might be able to find a 250 Nighthawk, dualsport, or some other light moto used for a good deal. Check out www.clevelandcyclewerks.com too.

Whatever you get, make sure to go over the fasteners with Loc-Tite and bearings with grease before she's riding it.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #43
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I'm confused by all the - don't teach her yourself, the emotional connection there is too strong.

If your relationship can't handle you teaching her new skills or vice versa without an instant emotional explosion, you guys were doomed anyway. Who teaches teens to drive? Parents? The emotional connection is there, and most every teen learns to drive from their parents.

I'm not saying the BRC isn't a good idea, but I got no problem taking her out to a parking lot (nothing above 1st gear) and showing her the clutch, friction zone, just getting comfortable with the bike with someone she's comfortable with before throwing her into a class with a ton of people she has never met being told to do something she's never done......

Friends and Family was how people learned for years.
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #44
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
I'm confused by all the - don't teach her yourself, the emotional connection there is too strong.

If your relationship can't handle you teaching her new skills or vice versa without an instant emotional explosion, you guys were doomed anyway. Who teaches teens to drive? Parents? The emotional connection is there, and most every teen learns to drive from their parents.

I'm not saying the BRC isn't a good idea, but I got no problem taking her out to a parking lot (nothing above 1st gear) and showing her the clutch, friction zone, just getting comfortable with the bike with someone she's comfortable with before throwing her into a class with a ton of people she has never met being told to do something she's never done......

Friends and Family was how people learned for years.
People also had 12 kids for years, because not everybody lived to see adulthood. Step into the new millennium, where most kids learn how to drive while under the qualified supervision of a certified instructor, in Drivers' Ed at their highschool. The roads can be a lot more hazardous these days than back before there were 7 billion+ people in the world and half the people that are driving are also twitting their twat, watching youtube, posting to youtube, catching a nap, spanking their kid, spanking their monkey, drinking, high, or all of the above. Riding is also NOT driving. While almost anybody who already rides can probably show the controls on a moto, a trained instructor can pick out and correct bad habits in their usage better than the majority of untrained would-be instructors.

Besides, why ding your own bike from noob mistakes when you can ding the MSF's?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #45
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
qualified supervision of a certified instructor, in Drivers' Ed at their highschool.
You're joking right? Driver's Ed in this country is anything but good. They teach kids how to use blinkers and parallel park. Waaaayyyy to easy to get a license in the country.

Quote:
maybe I should milk this more...
Yes you should.......my lovely brides toe dipping into owning her own bike was short lived......and ended badly.