Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #46
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
This is one of the problems with a public insurance system: the affected ratepayers end up butting heads with their government, and it's a mismatch.
You are also stuck with full coverage insurance and it's excessive cost. I have never had more than basic liability insurance on a motorcycle. I had one stolen once but that was my fault for parking it in a obvious place where it was visible. This was in 1978 and it was a 1977 Kawasaki KE175. So I think I'm money ahead and I'm more careful without all the extra insurance.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #47
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
You are also stuck with full coverage insurance and it's excessive cost. I have never had more than basic liability insurance on a motorcycle.
Exactly. My bike may be worth about $10,000, but I just have liability and comprehensive coverage on it, which costs about $300 per year. I could care less about collision coverage, as our provincial small claims court has jurisdiction up to $25,000. I do carry collision on two of our cars, but with high deductibles.

Rinty screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 04:28 PM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #48
pboulianne09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Insurance Nightmare

As a former Alberta/Ontario resident this rate increase proposal really hit a nerve. As it is, my wife and I pay $1200 for each of our 650GS's which we thought was already unfairly high. Got a quote a couple of weeks ago from TD in StCatharines where I used to live and they gave me a $650 quote for the full year!! Another reason for getting out as soon as we retire in 5 years.
Last summer I rode my bike 10,000kms and it was my main mode of transportation rain or shine. I did it for the fuel savings as well as for the sheer enjoyment of it. I also work in the Gulf of Mexico and most of the riders I work with pay around a buck a day for their insurance. Not the same system we have mind you but still. I should be home to attend one of the meetings in Saskatoon but if not I hope that someone is organizing some type of rally against this absurd proposal.
pboulianne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Meanwhile, over in the U.K., one of the major motorcycle insurers has recently done a study of motorcycle accidents. Surprise, surprise:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874284

Maybe someone should send a copy of this to Brad Wall.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #50
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
medical costs

As I understand things in Ontario the largest portion of my rate is for medical costs. With no fault insurance, in an accident in which someone else causes the accident to happen, I'm having to pay a high premium for myself instead of the dude who is likely to cause my injury when he hits me.
If someone causes an accident and you're involved be sure to leave in an ambulance no matter how trivial the injuries may seem at the time. Have someone take lots of pictures of everything with your camera.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #51
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
As I understand things in Ontario the largest portion of my rate is for medical costs. With no fault insurance, in an accident in which someone else causes the accident to happen, I'm having to pay a high premium for myself instead of the dude who is likely to cause my injury when he hits me.

If someone causes an accident and you're involved be sure to leave in an ambulance no matter how trivial the injuries may seem at the time. Have someone take lots of pictures of everything with your camera.
This is great advise !

In Quebec you did not have to leave by ambulance but had to report your injury within three days at the hospital to be eligable for any benifits!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #52
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
In Alberta I pay about $180 per year per bike. I have 4 bikes currently licensed. I buy only liability because the damn bikes I buy aren't staggeringly expensive.

Another good reason to move to Alberta.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #53
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
Meanwhile, over in the U.K., one of the major motorcycle insurers has recently done a study of motorcycle accidents. Surprise, surprise:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874284

Maybe someone should send a copy of this to Brad Wall.
Thank you for the link.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #54
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Public Hearing notes

Last night was the first of 2 public hearings, the next is scheduled for Saskatoon April 22.

There was a high attendance, probably 200 people, and it was obvious that the highest representation was from the MC community.The hearing was chaired by Kathy Weber, chair of the SRRP and started with the introduction of the Rate Review panel, of which all were in attendance, and the introduction of the SGI group which included President Andrew Cartmell.

After the introductions and the outline of the role of the SRRP, Mr. Cartmell and SGI presented their revised proposal. He covered the overall rationale of the increase, with a Powerpoint presentation accompaniment. He spent a lot of time covering the proposed MC rate increases and the payout data for claims against MC's. He also indicated that a Motorcycle Review Committee has been formed and will be meeting in May to involve all stakeholders and come up with a discussion paper to lead the dialogue on the subject.

The floor was then opened for formal presentations, and the first 2 presenters represented the taxicab industry. They want to see the more focus on the identification of poor drivers in their industry, and access to real time information as to who is causing the problems, as opposed to increasing rates on vehicles regardless of the cause of the incident.

The next presenters represented MC interests. There was a great disparity in the quality and content of the presentations. It was clear that there was a lot of pent up anger towards SGI from some individuals, and it did little to help the proceedings. There were, however, excellent submissions from some individuals and interest groups. I do not want to paraphrase their submissions or dilute their words with my own- please see the footnote at the end of the post.

After the formal submissions the floor was opened for questions which included some of my own. The questions ranged from actual questions to personal comments to presentations that should have been included in the formal presentations.

During both the presentations and the Q&A session, there were numerous times when the attendees would break in to applause when agreeing when a point or statement was made. The overall position seemed to be that SGI has their info wrong, have done little to address the accident/injury rate of motorcyclists for some time, and continues to raise rates instead of addressing the root cause.

The hearing lasted a little over 2 1/2 hours. About 50% of the attendees had left prior to the end.

**Footnote: the public hearing was transcribed verbatim, as is due to be posted on the SRRP website when completed. As noted, rather than getting the information presented wrong, I will post the link to the transcribed proceedings once it is available.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #55
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Well Groupama, the U.K. motorcycle insurer, did their homework in studying 1600 + motorcycle accidents, presumably, in part, so they could maximize their subrogated claims against other motorists.

But you wonder how hard SGI has looked into this, given the no fault nature of the Saskatchewan program. I suspect, not very.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #56
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
Last night was the first of 2 public hearings, the next is scheduled for Saskatoon April 22.

Thanks for the summary/update for those of us who are too far away to attend!

J
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #57
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Here is the link to the transcript of the April 9 public meeting.

http://www.saskratereview.ca/images/...ril-9-2013.pdf
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #58
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

This will be heavy going....
Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #59
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Here is the link to the transcript of the Apr. 22 public hearing held in Saskatoon.

http://www.saskratereview.ca/images/...%2022-2013.pdf