Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #7771
total_n00b
Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophex View Post
Hi all!

First amazing weather of the year here in Belgium and wanted to take my baby out of hibernation.

After only 15min and about 10km away from home, I noticed my rear was breaking out alot. Even on simple turns. It felt squirmy... I had a flat! I pulled a small nail out of my rear tire.

I've never fixed a tire on a motorcycle before. (My scooter, which I drive to work, has tubeless tires and I've plugged those on several occasions.) The rear tire on my KLX is a (stock) Dunlop D605 G and has "Tube Type" written on it. I guess this is not a tubeless tire, like on my scooter? Which would mean alot more work to get the tube fixed/replaced?

What's next?
  1. Is there a way to take the tube out, without removing the wheel? And then fixing it, like you would do on a bicycle with a small rubber patch?
  2. If I do have to remove the entire rear wheel, how would I go about doing this? (My guess: remove chain > remove rear axle > take wheel off.) But if you have to remove the chain, (by taking the master link off) will I need to put a new master link on or can I reuse the old one?
  3. How hard is it to take the tube out, once the wheel is off? What tools will I need? (... to buy)

I might consider having the tire fixed by my motorcycle shop, but since they are about 20min away, I'll have to take the rear tire off anyway... So it might be cheaper to do it all myself. Unless... Could I try and plug the tire, like you do on a tubeless one? Will that hold (long enough) to reach my shop and have them sort out everything for me? Or will that ruin everything?

Sry for all the questions.
CyclePedia is your friend:
http://www.cyclepedia.com/online-man...nline-manuals/

I was a total newb 3 years ago, and have used cyclepedia to do A LOT of work (rebuilt my 1st motor, albeit not on my big KLX, tires, chains, bars,etc). The pictures really help
Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #7772
TJWally
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks, IDRIDR amd 250senuf for the info. I will get onto guts racing and seat concepts when I get a minuite and let you know.

TJ
TJWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #7773
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWally View Post
Thanks, IDRIDR amd 250senuf for the info. I will get onto guts racing and seat concepts when I get a minuite and let you know.

TJ
guts told me they don't do one, sc wanted too many $$ and the whole seat sent to them for me.......and sargeant wanted $$$$$, this was some time ago so things may have changed

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #7774
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 426
need a silencer

anyone have an OEM silencer and / or headpipe for a 2006 model you are not using? Please PM me if you do.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #7775
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Just posted this in the klR250 thread, then found the klX 250 thread. Thanks everyone!

The dealer near here is selling out their 2012 KLX250's at cost (so they say) to get the 2013's on the floor.They are asking $4399 (+tax, etc)

I have a few quesitons, thanks so much in advance for your help.

Did they fix the breaking star shifter issue with the 2012 model? sounds like its an issue mostly with 09 and 10.

Is it a good deal? I want a new bike, so i know whats been done to it from day one (had issues in the past), so the "look for a decent used one" doesn't really apply here.

What does it need off the floor? Im thinking sw motech skid (recommendations?), some kind of hand guards (recommendations?), anything else right away? radiator guards perhaps?

any other insight would be great. ive never bought a brand new bike before so any break in advice, etc would be appreciated. thank you all so much. looking forward to joining the community of klx riders!
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #7776
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,097
I think the Shift Star problem was just on 09's. My 2010 has had plenty of abuse and is fine.

What does it need? IMO, A skid plate, a Dynojet kit/Air filter, hand guards, a seat of some sort, and some real tires.

The Dynojet kit improves throttle response considerably, and in many cases will improve fuel economy. I like to add a TwinAir filter (and use NoToil filter oil), and many like to add the KDX snorkel in place of the stock snorkel ($20). The stock seat is awful; the best bang for the buck is the Seat Concepts one ($179) that you "assemble" yourself. And for tires, if you're going to be riding off-road, we've found the Kenda K760 Trackmaster II's to be good for their price (under $100 for a set). If you're just going to ride road mostly, the stockers are fine.

The first time you drop it, you will likely lose a mirror and at least one turn signal, so be prepared. Hand guards will protect your levers. I like Barkbusters, but if you have the money to spare, the HDB (Highway Dirt Bikes) guards are really nice, but pricey. Look at Double Take mirrors once you break yours. You can get new turn signals on eBay from China super cheap (order several sets so you have spares).

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #7777
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
Just posted this in the klR250 thread, then found the klX 250 thread. Thanks everyone!

The dealer near here is selling out their 2012 KLX250's at cost (so they say) to get the 2013's on the floor.They are asking $4399 (+tax, etc)

I have a few quesitons, thanks so much in advance for your help.

Did they fix the breaking star shifter issue with the 2012 model? sounds like its an issue mostly with 09 and 10.

Is it a good deal? I want a new bike, so i know whats been done to it from day one (had issues in the past), so the "look for a decent used one" doesn't really apply here.

What does it need off the floor? Im thinking sw motech skid (recommendations?), some kind of hand guards (recommendations?), anything else right away? radiator guards perhaps?

any other insight would be great. ive never bought a brand new bike before so any break in advice, etc would be appreciated. thank you all so much. looking forward to joining the community of klx riders!
Sounds like a good deal. How and where are you going to ride it? What's your riding experience? What's your height & weight?
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #7778
rickcorwn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
anyone have an OEM silencer and / or headpipe for a 2006 model you are not using? Please PM me if you do.
PM sent.
rickcorwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #7779
dmcc67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
300 cylinder?

Which 250 won't take a 300 cylinder/piston? I can't find this broken down anywhere.
I have a 2006 KLX250s and am hoping to bolt on a 300 cylinder/piston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Mark, mine gained some mpg with the 300 cylinder. At a 250, I had the full Muzzy exhaust...huge head pipe like you describe...modded airbox, and DJ jetting. Still, I had to rev her up pretty well to scoot, which it did OK. With the 300, those other mods probably came more into their own for a performance increase, and I found I could short shift and lug the bike a whole lot more. I think that's where my mileage increase came from.

I also have a totally unsubstantiated theory that the later/current 250 is a tiny bit different from the original 250 that won't accept a 300 cylinder wihtout case machining. I'm suspicious that Kawasaki took the basic 300 model and dropped the bore to 250...marketing, licensing, insurance, and a host of other reasons for a street legal model. When you go back to a 300 cylinder or larger, I'm thinking the combustion chamber and valve layout is more optimum for the bigger bore and therefore provides more/better performance due to being a better "match". One reason I think this is how the valve reliefs are located almost down to the piston ring grooves on the 250. While you can see this occasionally on some engines, it is not really an efficient design for ideal combustion. It seems to me that the power increase of just the 300 cylinder is more than the meager 43cc or so would normally yield. Anyway, just a idea I have about it...worth about .01 cent in today's market.
dmcc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #7780
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
KLX 300 jug/piston

TNC has an '06 or '07 KLX250 with the 300 jug bolted on.
It's the 80's KLX that it won't work for.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #7781
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcc67 View Post
Which 250 won't take a 300 cylinder/piston? I can't find this broken down anywhere.
I have a 2006 KLX250s and am hoping to bolt on a 300 cylinder/piston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
TNC has an '06 or '07 KLX250 with the 300 jug bolted on.
It's the 80's KLX that it won't work for.
'06-'13 (current) KLX250S will accept a '97-'07 KLX300R cylinder. The '93-'96 KLX250R will not accept a '97-'07 KLX300R cylinder; it's the same engine family, but the counter bore in the cases of the early 250R was too small to accept the later 300R cylinder skirt.

The 80's KLX were completely different, so also will not take accept the 300 parts.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #7782
dmcc67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to bumping up to a 300. Or bigger.....
dmcc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #7783
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
My brother has the 350ish (can't remember the displacement, 354?) kit on his, it definitely has a lot more low to mid range thump, but it won't rev like it did stock. The 300 hundred kit might be the best balance for that engine, but it all depends on how/where you like to ride.

The PO of that bike is a friend of mine. He went to the 300, barely broke it in, and then went to the 354. While he liked the lugability of the 354, he was a little disappointed with the loss of top end.

When he needed cash and decided to sell it at a bargain, I talked my brother into buying it, with the hope that someday he would send it my way when I have some extra scratch.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 08:27 PM
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #7784
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
My brother has the 350ish (can't remember the displacement, 354?) kit on his, it definitely has a lot more low to mid range thump, but it won't rev like it did stock. The 300 hundred kit might be the best balance for that engine, but it all depends on how/where you like to ride.

The PO of that bike is a friend of mine. He went to the 300, barely broke it in, and then went to the 354. While he liked the lugability of the 354, he was a little disappointed with the loss of top end.

When he needed cash and decided to sell it at a bargain, I talked my brother into buying it, with the hope that someday he would send it my way when I have some extra scratch.
Bill Blue offers optional head porting with his 351 kit that allows it to rev up higher. I plan to do this when I do my kit this Spring.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #7785
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post

Any changes between the '12 and '13 models?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote