Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacbandit View Post
I have lived in sac my whole life. I did build a 20/24 shop at my last house. As long as your lot has the right set back and garage is at least 10 feet from the main house you should be able to pull a permit, if you dig down be careful, the sac river water table and the city mixed sewer will fill up your basement, hope this helps, doug

I have to agree about the water table in that area. Steel buildings are fairly cheap and good way to go. I bet they would be about the same cost.

Pour a slab,erect a building in 3 days, run the electrics and there you go.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacbandit View Post
I have lived in sac my whole life. I did build a 20/24 shop at my last house. As long as your lot has the right set back and garage is at least 10 feet from the main house you should be able to pull a permit, if you dig down be careful, the sac river water table and the city mixed sewer will fill up your basement, hope this helps, doug
This house is at 25th and E in midtown. No room at all for a shed that big with out taking out the whole yard. I might be able to put a small 10x10 next to the house to store gas and other stuff in that I don't want in the basement. Like I said its almost not a real basement since the true first floor of the house is about 6 feet off the ground. Its more of an unfinished first floor.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I put an offer in on the house today.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Long story short I think we will be getting this house. I will add some more pictures and get more advice.

Both hot water heaters are in the basement so I need to know the risk of keeping gas in the bikes. I can keep all extra gas outside in a shed.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,671
Biggest risk I see is your wife can come own and bug you way too easily

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Suggestions:

Check with your insurance agent to make sure having a bike inside won't allow the insurance co to avoid paying a claim in case of a fire.

Don't forget to Install CO and smoke detectors.

Install a vapor barrier and drywall on the ceiling to make it harder for fumes or fire to come through your floor.

As previously suggested, install an explosion-proof fan, and buy one of these for shop rags:

Re: fans, perhaps one made for a boat engine compartment would be cheaper than a paint spray one.

Careful that you don't undermine your foundation. Google "underpinning".
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post

Both hot water heaters are in the basement so I need to know the risk of keeping gas in the bikes. I can keep all extra gas outside in a shed.
Gas or electric? If they are gas, I wouldn't keep gas in the bikes. A leaky petcock & carb needle valve could be a problem. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and collect on the floor, right where the gas pilot and burner are. I've seen water heaters installed in garages in warmer climates up on 12-18 inch platforms for this reason.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

They are gas. Both are far away from the shop area, not even in the same room and are at least 12 inches higher than the shop floor area.

We got the house and I have started working on the back area that is already 7 feet tall. Turns out there was a slab under the carpet that has a few holes in it. I filled those and scrapped off all the old tiles.

Before I bought the house.

After I bought the house

Ramps down to the lower floor
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
Parx400 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I found some old counter tops to use for work benches.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I am looking at buying a home that has a very large basement. The first floor is about 5.5 feet off the ground and the basement is about half a foot lower than the grand level. The basement is about 6 feet tell and is the whole floor plan size with a large wide door on the outside. Its about 1000sf. The house has no garage so this would halt to be my shop.
Personally, I'd look for a house that better meets your needs... something with a garage and/or a real basement.

When I started looking for a house about a year ago, I had "3 car garage" on my short list. That cut my options by about 75% and prolonged the house-hunting process (probably) by several months. However, in the end; I got over 1200 SF of garage space with a double and a single roll-up door, and 12' ceilings. I even have it plumbed for a sink!!! I also ended up with a "basement" at ground level, where I could (if I wanted to) ride my bike inside from the back patio (not even a step there - flat even).