Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141
It is a Continental Trail Attack 110/80-19 on a set of Woody's wheels....

19" on front, 17" on the rear... Smitty
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykz
I'm assuming that if you put the TT 11.9 tank on you lose the place where you put the actuator. True?

Curt
Yes, you are correct. There would not be a good place to hide the servo with aftermarket tank. Smitty
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,869
Damn, I sure love google. I have one of these cruise controls that came on my KLR (yeah, go figure). I'm fixing up the KLR to sell , as I purchased the 990 last fall. This cruise control makes a lot more sense on the 990 and it did on the KLR, so I think I will probably go ahead and move it over.

Thank you so much for documenting each of the steps. I'm not sure that the original instructions for the cruise control came with the KLR when it purchased it, so I can just follow your tips.

(also having carpal tunnel issues. I just got my left hand fixed, but the right hand is going to have to wait until next winter)

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Damn, I sure love google. I have one of these cruise controls that came on my KLR (yeah, go figure). I'm fixing up the KLR to sell , as I purchased the 990 last fall. This cruise control makes a lot more sense on the 990 and it did on the KLR, so I think I will probably go ahead and move it over.

Thank you so much for documenting each of the steps. I'm not sure that the original instructions for the cruise control came with the KLR when it purchased it, so I can just follow your tips.

(also having carpal tunnel issues. I just got my left hand fixed, but the right hand is going to have to wait until next winter)

WOW, 5 years and my post is back on top... I just bought a 2012 990. I also have a Rostra electronic cruise (no vacuum needed) I may try to install it. With the Rostra, you need a VSS signal and a tach singnal to make it work.

Now I need to find the wiring drawing for this new bike.

Smitty
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
WOW, 5 years and my post is back on top... I just bought a 2012 990. I also have a Rostra electronic cruise (no vacuum needed) I may try to install it. With the Rostra, you need a VSS signal and a tach singnal to make it work.

Smitty
Hmmmm... The Rosta looks a lot cleaner. I like the idea of being able to put everything on the chassis, rather than inside the faring.

For the VSS, did you have to install an additional wheel sensor, or could you tie into the ABS sensor that feeds the speedometer?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,024
Wink Electronic Cruise Controls

I didn't even think they were made any more... now you've got me thinking about it...

My dad & I used to put automotive cruise control systems on Goldwings back in the 1980s for himself & his Goldwing club. As many cars began to offer them at a lower (cost) level of options, Sears marked their kits down to $49. We bought the first one & never looked back. With the sensor epoxied to the drive shaft the (+/-) speed adjustment buttons would change speed by 1/2mph.

People can scoff all they want but they sure make slab-cruising easy, and can help certain bikes (say, ANY of the LC8's) keep out of trouble in municipalities where the police are looking to increase their revenue by writing tickets.

I own about every kind of clamp/cam system from cheap to $$, including $10 throttle busters and find the variance in speed caused by grades up or down annoying- that's after you finally manage to clamp it at the speed you want to maintain.

It's all your fault Hellsickle, and thanks Smitty141 for your great write-up years ago!
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:

Smitty

So, are you going to do another good write up on the install of the Rostra on your new Adventure??
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
So, are you going to do another good write up on the install of the Rostra on your new Adventure??
Not sure, I am going to try and be a minamalist with this new ride. I enjoy riding the LD life style.. You know, ride a 1000 miles, sleep 5 hours and repeat.

I am going to look into the wiring on the bike and see if there is a easy way to tap into the VSS, and tach signal. Plus, after removing the tanks and bodywork see if anything is different.

There is a lot of peep's think it is silly to have on this style of bike. But once you use it it will make you think differently. Its just nice to be able to set the cruise and get something out of your tankbag ect.

Stay tune, if I do I will post up.

Smitty
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Not sure, I am going to try and be a minamalist with this new ride. I enjoy riding the LD life style.. You know, ride a 1000 miles, sleep 5 hours and repeat.

I am going to look into the wiring on the bike and see if there is a easy way to tap into the VSS, and tach signal. Plus, after removing the tanks and bodywork see if anything is different.

There is a lot of peep's think it is silly to have on this style of bike. But once you use it it will make you think differently. Its just nice to be able to set the cruise and get something out of your tankbag ect.

Stay tune, if I do I will post up.

Smitty

Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
I just rock the Kaoko Throttle Lock. Works great, and easier to install!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Hmmmm... The Rosta looks a lot cleaner. I like the idea of being able to put everything on the chassis, rather than inside the faring.

For the VSS, did you have to install an additional wheel sensor, or could you tie into the ABS sensor that feeds the speedometer?
I installed a Rostra 250-1223 on my 990 Adventure. My buddy and I are riding through every country in the Americas (South, Central and North) and the cruise control has been invaluable.

Yes you can use the ABS, speedometer sensor for the VSS pickup on the Rostra. I found like connectors from Eastern Beaver and simply made a splitter for most of the needed connections, including a three pin splitter for the ABS sensor.

But, believe it or not the servo/electronics unit is bigger than the vacuum system. My buddy and I took different approaches to solving this problem. I split the electronics and servo on the Rostra and put the electronics behind the headlight and the servo in the right side panel. He cut the back plane to the right hand panel and fastened the entire Rostra to a bracket behind the headlight.

We used Smitty's write up on KTM950.info to help guide us through some of the cable routing. We both built different brackets for the cable in the air box and of course different from Smitty's as well.

It was a lot of work and took a lot longer than Smitty's one day. But in the end, both have worked flawlessly down in South America and made the long stretches somewhat more bearable.

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I agree with the entire electronic cruise control thing. I had one on my VStrom 1000 and absolutely loved it...until it crapped out on me. I've got a new CCS 100 sitting on the shelf. I figure if I can bust a full day loose I might try and install it on the 990 Adventure R.

The Rostra might be nice, except no ABS on the "R" model.

Does the new 1190 have cruise control? I know the new liquid cooled beemer has it.

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
I agree with the entire electronic cruise control thing. I had one on my VStrom 1000 and absolutely loved it...until it crapped out on me. I've got a new CCS 100 sitting on the shelf. I figure if I can bust a full day loose I might try and install it on the 990 Adventure R.

The Rostra might be nice, except no ABS on the "R" model.

Does the new 1190 have cruise control? I know the new liquid cooled beemer has it.

BG
I am sure the non-ABS will still have a sensor for the speedometer. The connector for all 990's are up behind the headlight. I had to dig pretty deeply into the wiring bundle to find the three pin connector.

Also Smitty mentioned above, you really don't need the Tach connector because there should be no instances where you over rev the engine while not putting on the brake. On ours we wired in the clutch switch to the brake line on the Rostra, so when you pull the clutch it acts the same as when you set the brake. In talking to the Rostra rep, if you use the over rev Tach line, it resets everything and you can't use the resume. He suggested the wiring we used.

Here are my wiring diagrams:

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World

jfink screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 11:09 AM
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I am sure the non-ABS will still have a sensor for the speedometer. The connector for all 990's are up behind the headlight. I had to dig pretty deeply into the wiring bundle to find the three pin connector.

Also Smitty mentioned above, you really don't need the Tach connector because there should be no instances where you over rev the engine while not putting on the brake. On ours we wired in the clutch switch to the brake line on the Rostra, so when you pull the clutch it acts the same as when you set the brake. In talking to the Rostra rep, if you use the over rev Tach line, it resets everything and you can't use the resume. He suggested the wiring we used.

Here are my wiring diagrams:

Thanks man! Good stuff. I was going to forget about this project & live with a throttle lock. Then I got my right wrist x-ray'd last week. The Dr. said I'm a degenerate. Looks like a cruise is in my future.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
Cisco_k
Chuck

Oddometer: 42
Note I sent to Rostra

I'm the riding buddy that jfink writes about. I sent the following note to the technician at Rostra that we talked to before starting our installations. The single throttle pulley that I talk about was one that I purchased for an auto and then adapted to work on the KTM throttle shaft. I've also posted the simple as built drawing I sent to the technician. I have photos of the installation but not on this computer.

The specifics of the installations are:

One of the bikes had a separate and larger throttle pulley attached to the throttle shaft. The cruise control cable is the only thing attached to that pulley and it works well.

The dip switches were all placed as you suggested (1-2 off, 3-6 on, 7-9 off, 10 on, 11 off, 12 off) with the exception of 10 which was placed in the on position because we found (through testing) that we had a square wave signal coming from the ABS signal generator. Our Pulses per mile are around 36,000.

In using the control we have found that it works very well at higher speeds, 65 and up, but does a lot of searching for the set speed at lower speeds. The searching gets progressively worse the lower the speed. The speed drops a few mph below the set speed and then surges to a few mph above the set speed and then repeats. It is a constant rocking back and forth and not the slow addition of throttle and reduction of throttle that makes the control work smoothly at higher speeds. At the higher speeds we see a constant speed on level ground and perhaps a +-1 mph going up and down hills.

In addition to the above, we have found the 250-3592 Control Switch gives the following results:

All at higher engagement speeds.
Set speed takes over and quickly establishes a constant speed.
Resume speed quickly gets up to prior set speed and holds without overshooting setting.
Increase normally adds a small amount of speed.
Decrease sometimes drops off a small amount of speed but often will act like the unit is disengaged and drop several mph before recovering to a point that is a small drop from the prior set speed.

The installation manual doesn't explain well enough to us what is happening with the gain, pulses and engine set up.