User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
GGD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
custom bag

I took all my gear to a local foam store. They made a custom insert for a gun bag that holds everything like a glove. Total cost $75.00. I could drop my gear down a flight of stairs and nothing would happen.
GGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,889
Carried my 40D for 50,000 miles in a Giant Loop tank bag with some extra foam padding and camera packed in fairly tight so it couldnt move around much. It survived quite a bit of rough terrain and a couple spectacular get offs. IMO, the tank bag is probably the safest spot on the bike to carry a DSLR.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGD View Post
I took all my gear to a local foam store. They made a custom insert for a gun bag that holds everything like a glove. Total cost $75.00. I could drop my gear down a flight of stairs and nothing would happen.
Depends on the foam.

Lots of people use that grey pluck-and-pull foam that Pelican is fond of.

It's crap.

Ever notice it breaks down, gets "scaley" and crumbly? That stuff ends up inside your camera gear. I had an entire Hasselblad system need a CLA because of that junk.

If it's covered with the felty-stuff (don't know what it's called) you're good to go.

Watch out for the grey crap, folks.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 123
In June I completed a 1400 mile, 8 day trip around Northern Nevada. For that trip, I used a padded camera bag inside of a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910857

This worked well for...most of the trip. By day 6, the unrelenting dust and repeated opening and closing of the bag destroyed the zippers. Fortunately, the zippers did not completely fail until we returned. I returned the bag to Giant Loop and they graciously replaced it -- even though it was pretty clear that the bag was destroyed by years of use and abuse by a camera nut. An awesome company that stands behind their product.

Here are some pictures of my new Fandango and a new foam system that I built using layers of 1.5" foam and spray glue. With the use of some zipper lube and this cleaner setup, I believe I can not destroy another bag. Keep in mind this was serious off-road -- very dusty, very rough and at times involving fairly deep water crossings.

Cheers.
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I carry my D200 quite a bit on my KTM ADV 950 and have for many years. I carry it in a camera bag that is heavily padded with foam. Never had a problem. And I can carry an extra lens as well. I usually bring a point and shoot at times as well.
Dune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
But What did the Fox say??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I carried a Nikon DSLR and a good compact lens, the 18-200 Nikon in my tank bag. It does allow you to slowly coast to stop, leaving your bike to idle, and without dismounting, catch critters and such in the picture without rattling them. This fox noted to be quited bored with the "chucka-chucka-chucka" of my KLR.

The downside, I think the bopping around with the Nikon in the tank bag was responsible for the mysterious dent in the top of my gas tank. Have since fixed the tank, and not put the bag back on just yet.... am enjoying the fresh paint yet....

I think some closed cell foam a great idea.

Dune is online now   Reply With Quote