User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
JTMETZ54 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question Silly tube question

In my preparations for an upcoming trip this summer; I got to thinking I had never changed a tire on a motorcycle before, and should probably know how before I'm stuck in the middle of BFE with a flat.

Once I got the tube out I noticed a small nut on the threads of the valve above a small metal washer. It seems to me the nut would go on the outside of the rim and the washer would sit on the inside; do I need the nut inside like it came from the dealer? Or should I just spend my time filling my mind with more relevant questions, like are the Rockies going to have a solid pitching rotation this year?
JTMETZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
One nut inside the rim and one nut outside the rim. Do not tighten the nut on the outside of the rim (snug it up against the valve stem cap)
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
JTMETZ54 OP
Adventurer

So what does the one on the inside do? It would seem like the washer would protect the stem from biting the rim.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
boulder
jersey boy

Oddometer: 123
+1 like EZ said worked for me for years!!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMETZ54 View Post
So what does the one on the inside do? It would seem like the washer would protect the stem from biting the rim.

Even though the stem is vulcanized to the rubber of the tube to hold air, the washer and nut help to support this area from tearing and damage.

Like previously said, leave the internal nut tight on the washer/tube and leave the external nut loose against the stem cap. Just in case the stem gets slightly pulled on it won't tear the tube right away.

Have a good trip... I've never been to BFE !
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
JTMETZ54 OP
Adventurer

I had not thought much about the tube moving, but I can see wanting the little more support on the inside.

I have not been yet either, but I hear the weather is nice and the sun is always shining. I am almost sure I'm lying to myself as I'm going up to Washington; so I see rain and gray as likely.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Northyork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMETZ54 View Post
In my preparations for an upcoming trip this summer; I got to thinking I had never changed a tire on a motorcycle before, and should probably know how before I'm stuck in the middle of BFE with a flat.

Once I got the tube out I noticed a small nut on the threads of the valve above a small metal washer. It seems to me the nut would go on the outside of the rim and the washer would sit on the inside; do I need the nut inside like it came from the dealer? Or should I just spend my time filling my mind with more relevant questions, like are the Rockies going to have a solid pitching rotation this year?
My bike is a brand new KTM 990 Adventure. This weekend I got a flat rear tire. While taking the tube out I noticed that there was a nut on the inside part of the stem but nothing on the outside part of the rim.
The front tire seems to have the same setup, no nut holding the stem on the exterior part of the rim
Yesterday, I took the bike my KTM dealer to get the first service and at the same time they replaced the rear tube with a new one. Funny thing is the mechanic placed a nut on the exterior of the rim. No idea if it has one on the inside.
Why would the bike come from the factory with no external nut on the valve stem?
Northyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
It was a typo . . . Probably built on a Monday . . . Or, a Friday. New Tube stems inlude two nuts.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northyork View Post
My bike is a brand new KTM 990 Adventure. This weekend I got a flat rear tire. While taking the tube out I noticed that there was a nut on the inside part of the stem but nothing on the outside part of the rim.
The front tire seems to have the same setup, no nut holding the stem on the exterior part of the rim
Yesterday, I took the bike my KTM dealer to get the first service and at the same time they replaced the rear tube with a new one. Funny thing is the mechanic placed a nut on the exterior of the rim. No idea if it has one on the inside.
Why would the bike come from the factory with no external nut on the valve stem?
The external nut is only there so the stem doesn't get pushed into the tire when you air it up for the first time. KTM probably has a tool on the assembly line that holds the stem in place. Mine came from the factory with only the internal nut as well.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote