Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,221
Guess you know now that checking the rear wheel for play is on the to do list before buying a boxer, hope it ends up being ok.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
maurerhouse OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Yeah. Guess I do. What's the worst that could happen if I decide to ride to the dealer?
maurerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #33
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Eek

If it is bad , I would confront the seller. You have 2 choices, either he takes it back or bring him to small claims court.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #34
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
If it is bad , I would confront the seller. You have 2 choices, either he takes it back or bring him to small claims court.
Jeesh. This issue has been around for, oh, a few thousand years....and the latin term is Caveat emptor -- Buyer Beware.

If I buy something used, I know I'm responsible if it falls apart within ten minutes. If I sell something used, I tell the buyer "the warranty lasts til the end of the driveway."

If you're the kind of fella who goes back to "confront" a seller after buying something and it turns out to be lemon, I do hope that if you ever buy something used and it turns out to be a better bargain that you first thought.... send some additional money to the former owner. Goes both ways...

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Jeesh. This issue has been around for, oh, a few thousand years....and the latin term is Caveat emptor -- Buyer Beware.

If I buy something used, I know I'm responsible if it falls apart within ten minutes. If I sell something used, I tell the buyer "the warranty lasts til the end of the driveway."

If you're the kind of fella who goes back to "confront" a seller after buying something and it turns out to be lemon, I do hope that if you ever buy something used and it turns out to be a better bargain that you first thought.... send some additional money to the former owner. Goes both ways...

Cakeeater
Its kind of different when you know you sell someone something that can cause an injury or death . If the final drive is faulty (maybe not) & fails at speed the rider sure will have a problem.I have been lucky and buy stuff that has been either checked out or brought a friend that knows such item. Sounds like you like to sell a lot of buyer beware stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
twinrider
pass the catnip

If people want a warranty they should buy from a dealer imo.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #37
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerhouse View Post
Yeah. Guess I do. What's the worst that could happen if I decide to ride to the dealer?
If it were me I'd ride to the dealer, you didn't even think the bike had a problem till the inspection guy pointed it out.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Its kind of different when you know you sell someone something that can cause an injury or death . If the final drive is faulty (maybe not) & fails at speed the rider sure will have a problem.I have been lucky and buy stuff that has been either checked out or brought a friend that knows such item. Sounds like you like to sell a lot of buyer beware stuff.
Gee, Roadstar, maybe the seller of this fine older BMW didn't know there was a problem. You are making quite a leap here. You are presuming he knew, and you are presuming you know anything about me, which you don't. So, as Hemingway might have said, go confront yourself.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #39
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Did you check for play yourself? what does it feel like top/bottom and side/side?
As far as suing the seller are kidding me? I thought everyone understood buying a used vehicle from an individual doesn't come with a warranty. That's probably the biggest reason to take on the inflated price of new - because you get a warranty.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,417
sorry to hear about the possible issue with the BMW. If it were me, I would not be afraid to ride it the 20-30 miles to the dealer and have them check it. If it turns our you are on the hook for the repairs, then you will still have a great bike. The cost of the repair will be forgotten over time.

Don't over think it.

As for ST1300's, I had a 2007 non-ABS. What a fantastic machine! The only real issue I had with it was the heat. On a hot summer day the tank would get so hot it would burn you if you touched it. As long as temps were <85, it was fine.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #41
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Gee, Roadstar, maybe the seller of this fine older BMW didn't know there was a problem. You are making quite a leap here. You are presuming he knew, and you are presuming you know anything about me, which you don't. So, as Hemingway might have said, go confront yourself.

Cakeeater
Your right I was totally wrong , must be too much Judge Judy.
Buyer beware

(Must be the chemo i'm on)
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #42
maurerhouse OP
Adventurer

I believe this emoticon perfectly demonstrates how I feel.

It was not a final drive failure. It was a damaged pivot pin paralever. I'm not quite sure what that is because all I heard was "NOT FINAL DRIVE NOT FINAL DRIVE" but I'll find out more when I pick up the bike.

The oil sight glass had started to leak so they're replacing that and it was out of synch at idle so they're doing a tune up.

I plan to learn how to work on this bike myself.

What do you y'all think the first maintenance thing I should do is?

Thanks for your input folks - this experience has been harrowing and educational.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
That's good news! I'd replace all fluids and ride the crap out of it.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
maurerhouse OP
Adventurer

For the record: What are "all the fluids"?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #45
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,417
change the oil
change the transmission fluid
change the differential fluid
flush the brake fluid
inspect/change air filter
is there a fuel filter? inspect
inspect all rubber hoses and seals