ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #75886
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 603
The stock spacers weigh about 5 pounds each. ????

I haven't weighed my stock spacers but have had them in my hands several times and they don't come close to 5 lbs. Mine are steel pipe are yours solid lead billet?

TravelGuy

I found ABS nipples like this in a couple of different lengths at Home Depot for a couple of bucks each.

[/QUOTE]
__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #75887
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
The stock spacers weigh about 5 pounds each. ????

I haven't weighed my stock spacers but have had them in my hands several times and they don't come close to 5 lbs. Mine are steel pipe are yours solid lead billet?
I may have exaggerated it a little. It's probably no more than 4. :)

Suffice it to say they're far heavier than necessary.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #75888
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,467
oops, 205'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
The stock spacers weigh about 5 pounds each. ????
A tiny exaggeration for effect. I doubt they weigh any more than 4.5 pounds each.
__________________
2004 DR650: 61,382 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #75889
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Actually, the stock springs are progressively wound. The initial spring rate is .38 kg/mm and the final rate is (I think) .44 kg/mm. The spring transitions out of the soft rate at about 7.5" of compression.
That's what I get for going from memory.
the amount of preload that you will be able to get into the fork probably won't help with the dive problem enough.

Fork springs are fairly reasonably priced for "value received" (bang for the buck).
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #75890
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker
 
sagebrushocean's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: jackrabbit country
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
While you're talking forks, I'm finally installing my .47 springs and emulators.
The emulators came with the yellow springs and 4 turns preload. I'm 195lbs plus gear and hope to keep an initial plush/compliant ride while eliminating the wallowing and worse that occurs way too often.

Any thoughts?
I'm the same weight and have the same springs as you. I found 4 turns of preload on the emulators (10W fork oil) to be too harsh for my riding (exclusively street, and the bike is stripped down to 346 pounds wet). I'm at 3 turns now, and that is pretty good. If I ever go back into my forks I'd probably back off another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, so your estimate of 2.75 turns sounds about right to me. Offroad riders and those with heavy payloads may have a different view.
__________________
2008 DR650SE supermoto
2009 CRF230M
sagebrushocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #75891
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
stock springs are .40 Kg/mm. (straight rate) That means that they compress the same whether or not you squeeze them with preload. You will raise your ride height, but the dive should be about the same.
Correction:
Stock DR650 springs are progressive wound springs.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #75892
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Correction:
Stock DR650 springs are progressive wound springs.
late to the party
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #75893
Minsk99
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Cambridge, MA
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
I'm the same weight and have the same springs as you. I found 4 turns of preload on the emulators (10W fork oil) to be too harsh for my riding (exclusively street, and the bike is stripped down to 346 pounds wet). I'm at 3 turns now, and that is pretty good. If I ever go back into my forks I'd probably back off another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, so your estimate of 2.75 turns sounds about right to me. Offroad riders and those with heavy payloads may have a different view.
I have mine at 2.5 turns and its great for street riding. I'm 190 without gear and have an Acerbis 5.3 tank. However, I am going to add 3/4 of a turn as it needs a little more preload for off roading IMO. I actually called Race Tech yesterday and asked them about it and they said that their recommended setting is 4 turns on the yellow spring and that is why they are shipping them that way. Mine also came with 4 turns when I got them a few weeks ago. I'm running .55 springs with them. Really like the set-up a lot.
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #75894
mill
Adventurer
 
mill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: AL azzcrk a.k.a Da Gump
Oddometer: 47
I know I don't show my face around here much, but that's about to change. I live in Alabama and run around with a member here they call Swamp....

Anyways I have a 1997 DR 650 out in California at my brothers. I had him drop it off at the local shop to do some service work before my recent trip to Mexico on it last week. I do all of my own service work here in Alabama, but I have no choice. Big mistake...

So the bike left me stranded due to carburetor issues that should have been fixed by the shop, and I also noticed a broken pinch bolt on the front forks....how genuine of them. According to the parts fiche, this stud is not replaceable. Does anyone here know if that is true?

I left the bike in Mexico, and plan to go back and pick it up in July to continue towards Panama. I am making a list of parts that I need to have shipped to Mexico in order to prep for the next leg of the journey.

Oh, and here's a photo from the beginning of the 2600 mile trek that I completed in 7 days, haha!!!


mill screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 06:04 PM
mill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #75895
french horn
Just Add venture
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bundaberg Qld. Australia
Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
When loaded, how much weight do you reckon the rear subframe is supporting with that setup?
Great question, I didn't think of the subframe.
I haven't weighed it but I figure less than 40Kg ... considering a pillion could be 80 or more, my system shouldn't be a problem.

I did however, mount the bags as forward as i could, reducing the strain on the S/F ..... I hope .

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #75896
refokus
Just Learning
 
refokus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
I know I don't show my face around here much, but that's about to change. I live in Alabama and run around with a member here they call Swamp....

Anyways I have a 1997 DR 650 out in California at my brothers. I had him drop it off at the local shop to do some service work before my recent trip to Mexico on it last week. I do all of my own service work here in Alabama, but I have no choice. Big mistake...

So the bike left me stranded due to carburetor issues that should have been fixed by the shop, and I also noticed a broken pinch bolt on the front forks....how genuine of them. According to the parts fiche, this stud is not replaceable. Does anyone here know if that is true?

I left the bike in Mexico, and plan to go back and pick it up in July to continue towards Panama. I am making a list of parts that I need to have shipped to Mexico in order to prep for the next leg of the journey.

Oh, and here's a photo from the beginning of the 2600 mile trek that I completed in 7 days, haha!!!
I picked up a 650 here a few months ago that had a broken stud as well for the pinch bolt. Ace hardware had the #6 double threaded stud and it worked like a champ. I was lucky enough to have just enough of the broken stud sticking out that I got a pair of vise grips on and spun the old broken stud out. Good luck......
__________________
"Single Trac is like Scotch, you have to aquire a taste for it!"
refokus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #75897
french horn
Just Add venture
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bundaberg Qld. Australia
Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Looks like you're set up for a nice long ride. Nice tidy set up.
Are those panniers waterproof?
As far as the canvas has a membrane sewn against it and the top (under the flap) has a drawstring .... I used them during my 20yrs service without any ingress ... just gotta keep it a tight package.

You hauling food and cooking pots?
I carry a gas burner and 2 cans of gas, MILL SPEC "pots" (2), eat'n irons, 2 water bottles and assorted food .... no worries.

If going off road at all I would add a pair of Bark Busters and a skid plate.
One light off could ruin your whole day. I agree completely, just gotta save more pennies ... or build some ... but it'll happen.

PS: the stock seat is a one to two hour seat at best. My Corbin is good for 10 hour riding days. You're not wrong there either mate ... I doubt I could mod my seat successfully so .... more saving.

All the best!
Thanks heaps.


french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #75898
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Escaped's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
My immediate thought was this is a troll.

Lex
:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2006 DR650 52,607 miles

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #75899
psmcd
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: foot of Olympus
Oddometer: 855
more perhapsing

Thanks to both of you. Seems one of the Procycle guys was happy with 2.5, Guess we'll each be dialing in to a sweet spot. Anyone out there drill an additional low speed bleed hole to keep them plush with more preload? I wouldn't do this without riding it first with the heavier rear spring also. Just hoping for more competent but still compliant suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk99 View Post
I have mine at 2.5 turns and its great for street riding. I'm 190 without gear and have an Acerbis 5.3 tank. However, I am going to add 3/4 of a turn as it needs a little more preload for off roading IMO. I actually called Race Tech yesterday and asked them about it and they said that their recommended setting is 4 turns on the yellow spring and that is why they are shipping them that way. Mine also came with 4 turns when I got them a few weeks ago. I'm running .55 springs with them. Really like the set-up a lot.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #75900
mill
Adventurer
 
mill's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: AL azzcrk a.k.a Da Gump
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I picked up a 650 here a few months ago that had a broken stud as well for the pinch bolt. Ace hardware had the #6 double threaded stud and it worked like a champ. I was lucky enough to have just enough of the broken stud sticking out that I got a pair of vise grips on and spun the old broken stud out. Good luck......

Yep, I've got enough room to get on the broken stud with a pair of vice grips. I'll check Ace locally for the stud. Thanks for the tip. Btw, what year is your DR? I am curious to know if the fork design would happen to be the same. If I know the year, I could cross the entire fork leg on a parts fiche. Like I said, unfortunately the bike is not with me and is sitting in Mexico waiting for my return. I have no way of physically checking to make sure it will in fact thread out.
mill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014