Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #75916
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
stock springs are .40 Kg/mm. (straight rate) That means that they compress the same whether or not you squeeze them with preload. You will raise your ride height, but the dive should be about the same.
Correction:
Stock DR650 springs are progressive wound springs.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #75917
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Correction:
Stock DR650 springs are progressive wound springs.
late to the party
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #75918
Minsk99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
I'm the same weight and have the same springs as you. I found 4 turns of preload on the emulators (10W fork oil) to be too harsh for my riding (exclusively street, and the bike is stripped down to 346 pounds wet). I'm at 3 turns now, and that is pretty good. If I ever go back into my forks I'd probably back off another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, so your estimate of 2.75 turns sounds about right to me. Offroad riders and those with heavy payloads may have a different view.
I have mine at 2.5 turns and its great for street riding. I'm 190 without gear and have an Acerbis 5.3 tank. However, I am going to add 3/4 of a turn as it needs a little more preload for off roading IMO. I actually called Race Tech yesterday and asked them about it and they said that their recommended setting is 4 turns on the yellow spring and that is why they are shipping them that way. Mine also came with 4 turns when I got them a few weeks ago. I'm running .55 springs with them. Really like the set-up a lot.
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #75919
mill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I know I don't show my face around here much, but that's about to change. I live in Alabama and run around with a member here they call Swamp....

Anyways I have a 1997 DR 650 out in California at my brothers. I had him drop it off at the local shop to do some service work before my recent trip to Mexico on it last week. I do all of my own service work here in Alabama, but I have no choice. Big mistake...

So the bike left me stranded due to carburetor issues that should have been fixed by the shop, and I also noticed a broken pinch bolt on the front forks....how genuine of them. According to the parts fiche, this stud is not replaceable. Does anyone here know if that is true?

I left the bike in Mexico, and plan to go back and pick it up in July to continue towards Panama. I am making a list of parts that I need to have shipped to Mexico in order to prep for the next leg of the journey.

Oh, and here's a photo from the beginning of the 2600 mile trek that I completed in 7 days, haha!!!

mill screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 06:04 PM
mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #75920
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
When loaded, how much weight do you reckon the rear subframe is supporting with that setup?
Great question, I didn't think of the subframe.
I haven't weighed it but I figure less than 40Kg ... considering a pillion could be 80 or more, my system shouldn't be a problem.

I did however, mount the bags as forward as i could, reducing the strain on the S/F ..... I hope .

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #75921
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
I know I don't show my face around here much, but that's about to change. I live in Alabama and run around with a member here they call Swamp....

Anyways I have a 1997 DR 650 out in California at my brothers. I had him drop it off at the local shop to do some service work before my recent trip to Mexico on it last week. I do all of my own service work here in Alabama, but I have no choice. Big mistake...

So the bike left me stranded due to carburetor issues that should have been fixed by the shop, and I also noticed a broken pinch bolt on the front forks....how genuine of them. According to the parts fiche, this stud is not replaceable. Does anyone here know if that is true?

I left the bike in Mexico, and plan to go back and pick it up in July to continue towards Panama. I am making a list of parts that I need to have shipped to Mexico in order to prep for the next leg of the journey.

Oh, and here's a photo from the beginning of the 2600 mile trek that I completed in 7 days, haha!!!
I picked up a 650 here a few months ago that had a broken stud as well for the pinch bolt. Ace hardware had the #6 double threaded stud and it worked like a champ. I was lucky enough to have just enough of the broken stud sticking out that I got a pair of vise grips on and spun the old broken stud out. Good luck......
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #75922
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Looks like you're set up for a nice long ride. Nice tidy set up.
Are those panniers waterproof?
As far as the canvas has a membrane sewn against it and the top (under the flap) has a drawstring .... I used them during my 20yrs service without any ingress ... just gotta keep it a tight package.

You hauling food and cooking pots?
I carry a gas burner and 2 cans of gas, MILL SPEC "pots" (2), eat'n irons, 2 water bottles and assorted food .... no worries.

If going off road at all I would add a pair of Bark Busters and a skid plate.
One light off could ruin your whole day. I agree completely, just gotta save more pennies ... or build some ... but it'll happen.

PS: the stock seat is a one to two hour seat at best. My Corbin is good for 10 hour riding days. You're not wrong there either mate ... I doubt I could mod my seat successfully so .... more saving.

All the best!
Thanks heaps.

french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #75923
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
My immediate thought was this is a troll.

Lex
:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #75924
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
more perhapsing

Thanks to both of you. Seems one of the Procycle guys was happy with 2.5, Guess we'll each be dialing in to a sweet spot. Anyone out there drill an additional low speed bleed hole to keep them plush with more preload? I wouldn't do this without riding it first with the heavier rear spring also. Just hoping for more competent but still compliant suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk99 View Post
I have mine at 2.5 turns and its great for street riding. I'm 190 without gear and have an Acerbis 5.3 tank. However, I am going to add 3/4 of a turn as it needs a little more preload for off roading IMO. I actually called Race Tech yesterday and asked them about it and they said that their recommended setting is 4 turns on the yellow spring and that is why they are shipping them that way. Mine also came with 4 turns when I got them a few weeks ago. I'm running .55 springs with them. Really like the set-up a lot.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #75925
mill
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I picked up a 650 here a few months ago that had a broken stud as well for the pinch bolt. Ace hardware had the #6 double threaded stud and it worked like a champ. I was lucky enough to have just enough of the broken stud sticking out that I got a pair of vise grips on and spun the old broken stud out. Good luck......

Yep, I've got enough room to get on the broken stud with a pair of vice grips. I'll check Ace locally for the stud. Thanks for the tip. Btw, what year is your DR? I am curious to know if the fork design would happen to be the same. If I know the year, I could cross the entire fork leg on a parts fiche. Like I said, unfortunately the bike is not with me and is sitting in Mexico waiting for my return. I have no way of physically checking to make sure it will in fact thread out.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #75926
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Guys break those pinch bolt studs all the time. You can live with three of them no prob. Do not over torque them. If you work on your own bike in Alabama ... why would a "Carb" problem side line you? It's a simple device. Probably a clogged fuel filter or Pilot Jet or water or dirt in fuel. All doable side of road ... or by any decent Mexican mechanic. Never under estimate just HOW GOOD the Mexicans are with simple motors like the DR. They know their stuff.

I hope you left your bike with someone you trust ... and are paying? If not, ... Bit of a risky proposition, IMO.

Hopefully your bike is well prepped and set up to make Panama and back.
I would not ship parts to Mexico ... they'll get stuck in Customs and you may never get them out. Hand carry them in yourself ... and bring all receipts in case they ask for them. They are real sticklers on this sort of thing. Trust me. (I hide most parts and don't declare anything)

I hope your chain & sprockets are in good shape, hard to source there. Bring spare front sprocket, fork seals, rear brake pads, Carb jets (pilot and Main)tiny in line fuel filter, spare tubes and a rear tire if you need one. (expensive and hard to find good tires and tubes in Mexico)
!que le via muy bien!
Have a safe ride!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #75927
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Btw, what year is your DR? I am curious to know if the fork design would happen to be the same. If I know the year, I could cross the entire fork leg on a parts fiche.
96-current is same.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #75928
mill
Adventurer

Thanks for all of the pointers. The float bowl o rings were faulty and flooding the plugs. We weren't able to source the proper size o rings, so we ended up sanding some down to get me to the destination. The bike is in a gated community with a friend of mines family. As of now, when I fly back I will bring new o rings, a larger tank, a new choke (mine broke), new pinch bolts. The rest of the items you mentioned, I already had with me and are stored on the bike. Oh....and I won't be bringing the bike back...its going to South America after Panama....and then hopefully to Africa and beyond

I got back in from the trip 4/17/13 Wednesday morning at 2:00am. Once I am able to decompress for a bit, be looking for a rider report. There is a lot to tell about this leg of the journey!

mill screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:56 AM
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #75929
Minsk99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Thanks to both of you. Seems one of the Procycle guys was happy with 2.5, Guess we'll each be dialing in to a sweet spot. Anyone out there drill an additional low speed bleed hole to keep them plush with more preload? I wouldn't do this without riding it first with the heavier rear spring also. Just hoping for more competent but still compliant suspension.
I had the same question as you on the bleed hole drilling. I would say that with 2.5 turns of preload, that it is not necessary to drill a third hole. Mine came with two holes pre-drilled and for my preferences, is adequate. I know that when Race Tech first shipped the Emulators, that they came without any bleed holes drilled.
Minsk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #75930
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
The float bowl o rings were faulty and flooding the plugs.
Do you mean the needle seat o-ring?
Quote:
We weren't able to source the proper size o rings, so we ended up sanding some down to get me to the destination.
Was there a significant time constraint?
Quote:
As of now, when I fly back I will bring new o rings, a larger tank, a new choke (mine broke), new pinch bolts.
Is your DR650 equipped with a BST40 carburetor?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote