Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
Got down n dirty the other day!

14/48 gearing is on the way, need to slow down those rocky 2nd gear descents
That's the way the are 'spose to look!

Mine looks like that most of the time...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #3797
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I am very close to making the decision to buy a 500EXC and am interested in knowing more about subframe issues since one of it's first duties will be to haul me and my gear on a 1300 mile Nevada offroad loop. Is the subframe an issue?

Could you post up more pictures of your bike with the rack only and also with you gear on the rack?

Thanks!
I use this rack with the pannier brackets from www.globetrottin.com on my 350. Worked great on this 300 mile trip to Covelo and back with my buddy on his 500 stock bike. The rack is Super sturdy and gets the gear off your back or your arse and gives you room in the cockpit. There are attachment rings for saddlebags(I use Wolfman expedition dry saddlebags) The rotopax plates I have are from www.globetrottin.com as well. Hope this helps. PM me if you could use some more pics or info.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #3798
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I use this rack with the pannier brackets from www.globetrottin.com on my 350. Worked great on this 300 mile trip to Covelo and back with my buddy on his 500 stock bike. The rack is Super sturdy and gets the gear off your back or your arse and gives you room in the cockpit. There are attachment rings for saddlebags(I use Wolfman expedition dry saddlebags) The rotopax plates I have are from www.globetrottin.com as well. Hope this helps. PM me if you could use some more pics or info.

Thanks! What is that pipe guard you have on there?
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #3799
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Thanks! What is that pipe guard you have on there?
That is from jim at www.globetrottin.com as well.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #3800
fasteddie23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossa View Post
Generally it's considered a good idea to go straight off the battery. Be sure to used an automotive style fuse and have it physically close to the battery. The fuse protects you from over loading the circuit with too much current. This can be caused by two conditions: 1.) Excessive load from whatever you connect. 2.) The wire chafes through say due to rubbing, and a short is created. Without a fuse, either could lead to a fire condition. Also, if the fuse is too far from the battery, the short could be between the fuse and the battery and you could still have a fire.

You need to be careful of the draw you put on the charging system. If you exceed the available output of the stator, you'll be drawing down the battery as you ride, until dead. You'll need to calculate the load on your stator from your lighting setup, subtract that from the output (watts) of the stator. This is what's available for your accessory socket.

You also need to decide on a fuse size and wire gauge. Obviously, you'll want both to handle a bit more than your anticipated load on the socket. The fuse size and wire gauge should be correlated. Here's a nice chart to help you select:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wiring-gauge-chart.htm

Your devices you put on your socket may have power or current (at 12 volts) specified for your calculations.

Volts (12) x Amps (current) = Watts (power)

Hope this helps.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what size fuse to use on the heated grips? They are the KTM factory ones cost around $29. They come with wires just need work up a fuse. If you have a suggested size and/or setup would be appreciated.

Thanks.
fasteddie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #3801
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
2013 500exc

are any available at your local dealers? my local dealers are sold out.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #3802
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
KTMWorld in Cedartown, GA had both 500's and 350's last time I was there. But, don't rule out the 350. I got tired of waiting on a 500 and bought a 350 from KTMWorld late last year. Once it is re-mapped with the unrestricted Euro map, it is an amazing motorcycle. One of the things I have seen people trying to reduce on the 500 is the vibes through the handlebar. Guess what? The 350 has way less vibes through the bars (still vibes like crazy through the footpegs though). I really wanted the 500 as a better pavement DS, but really, anything less than a 690 or a 9x0 is going to suck for long pavement rides. Plus, I got a healthy discount on the 350, where the 500 I couldn't, if I felt like waiting for it. YMMV.
You'll enjoy either one.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #3803
ossa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie23 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on what size fuse to use on the heated grips? They are the KTM factory ones cost around $29. They come with wires just need work up a fuse. If you have a suggested size and/or setup would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Look at the gauge of the wire from KTM and use the link to pick a fuse. I be 10 Amp would be a pretty good bet. On my Gold Wing, I use a 15 Amp to power heated Socks, Jacket and gloves.
ossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #3804
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396

Fun on the Texas Adventure Challenge. 500 glorious miles on a KTM 500 in the Hill Country this past weekend.

The 600 mile service is now done in speedy fashion

Had the dealer install a Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 clutch, just for (more) grins
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #3805
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Motofit in Danbury, Ct. had a couple in the showroom last week. Don't go there for service and I would have someone you trust double check the initial set up. Also would not let them re-map, ordering parts isn't even easy there, lol. They are usually a good place to buy from when it comes to pricing but again don't expect it to be set up.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #3806
mknj671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Need a bit more range on my 12 KTM 500EXC, it has the emissions stuff removed but I can't seem to get any answers about running the Acerbis 3.0 gal tank with radiator cages (Unabiker). Anyone running the oversized tank with cages, any clearance issues?
mknj671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #3807
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
fi removal

just yanked the throttle body from the 500

easy enough to access by removing the two lower sub frame bolts, silencer bolts, tank and seat and flipping up the subframe like a car hood. remove all the sensor connections on the throttle body, fuel line, and pull it out the back of the bike.

fuel injector is located on the top of the tb

then just remove these two phillips

and pull out the injector.

i will send this one out to be tested and cleaned. my bike with only 6.5 hours began to get noticeably reduced mileage and was stumbling when going from closed to open throttle. upper rpm's it ran fine. so i'll see if its the injector that's the culprit or not.

picked up a spare injector and installed it.

unfortunately the busted arm keeps me from testing it to see if its the culprit. i will be carrying a spare injector (the cleaned standard fi) on the bike just in case, most likely in the zip lok plastic bag taped inside the airbox or behind the number plate.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #3808
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 630
Ftb

Did that new injector come with the conical mini screen like what is found in the quick disconnect? There is not a filter at the injector is there? I have not had mine apart but may do a garage breakdown to be come familiar, better there than out on the white rim trail or something...
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #3809
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
Did that new injector come with the conical mini screen like what is found in the quick disconnect? There is not a filter at the injector is there? I have not had mine apart but may do a garage breakdown to be come familiar, better there than out on the white rim trail or something...

it does look like the one that comes in the quick disconnect, and yes it came in the injector kit that i ordered along with a hose clamp.

my fi does not have a filter anywhere that i could see. here on the parts fiche there may be one but i could not see it in the flesh on my bike. travis at thumper racing mentioned one and is sending me some replacements but as of now i've not got his package.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #3810
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
it does look like the one that comes in the quick disconnect, and yes it came in the injector kit that i ordered along with a hose clamp.

my fi does not have a filter anywhere that i could see. here on the parts fiche there may be one but i could not see it in the flesh on my bike. travis at thumper racing mentioned one and is sending me some replacements but as of now i've not got his package.

Might they be clever enough to want you to put in a new filter at the QD every time you replace the injector, and that's why it is there?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote